ThinkPad P17 sensor reading question (BAT sensor reading 57*)

geek0311

I installed HWINFO a few days ago on my P17 and I immediately took note of how high the BAT sensor was reading (57*). On a 3 month old laptop I found this hard to make sense of, especially when I am normally not on battery power. So I cross checked this temp with Lenovo Vantage (utility app by Lenovo) and it is showing a battery temp of 35*. Just to confirm that the sensor was valid, I unplugged my PSU to the P17 and opened SolidWorks and spent a few minutes in there. Sure enough Lenovo Vantage did begin to register a few degrees increase in battery temp (from 35-37* ).

To dig a little deeper, I downloaded AIDA64Extreme to compare with HWINFO. Assuring HWINFO was not running, I opened AIDA64Extreme which read the sensors a little differently. CPU, GPU temps matched HWINFO however the other temps were labeled "Temperature #1 (ThinkPad EC)", "Temperature #2 (ThinkPad EC)", and there are 5 of these named identically just with their respective number (#1-#5). I was able to match one of these EC temps to the BAT reading in HWINFO (identical behavior after monitoring both programs back and forth over a couple days).

To take this even one step further, I opened TPFanControl which I normally use on my Thinkpads. This also had a BAT sensor reading the same as HWINFO. Same behaviors, likley reading same sensor and both HWINFO and TPFanControl have named as BAT.

Across all (3) programs HWINFO, AIDA64Extreme, and TPFanControl everything appears to match matche for the most part, and this seems to be isolated to the sensor HWINFO and TPFanControl have labeled as 'BAT'.

Wanted to ask for insight on this and I hope I have explained this well enough.

Thank you in advance.

This value is certainly improperly shown by all the named tools and Lenovo is showing the correct value.
The problem here is that meaning of some sensors on such notebooks is proprietary and vendors don't disclose any details, so other tools might sometimes be wrong.
I'm already working on filtering out such values on Lenovo notebooks and also working with them to improve sensors in future. The next HWiNFO build won't show this erratic value.

This value is certainly improperly shown by all the named tools and Lenovo is showing the correct value.
The problem here is that meaning of some sensors on such notebooks is proprietary and vendors don't disclose any details, so other tools might sometimes be wrong.
I'm already working on filtering out such values on Lenovo notebooks and also working with them to improve sensors in future. The next HWiNFO build won't show this erratic value.
Hey Martin thank you for the confirmation on this!

Back