Trying to solve an apparent GPU issue

beeurd

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I've been having an issue on a new build crashing with graphics driver issues. The card in question is an MSI Geforce GTX 1650 4G D6 OCV1 edition, I've not tinkered with over locking though.

The crashes vary from a black screen that recovers, or system reboots without a blue screen, but they do seem random and while they are mostly when I've been running a game they have happened randomly during normal usage too.

I managed to get a log during a crash, while running a benchmark application, which I've attached below. I've highlighted a row that was logged 1 second before a black screen error (logged in Windows event viewer as nvlddmkm.sys), the system recovers briefly but then the log ends when the the system rebooted.

Can anybody with more experience than me point out anything concerning that could shed light on the nature of the crash?

The system is stable with another graphics card, although it is a much older card that doesn't use a PSU connector. I don't have another system to test the GPU in at the moment, but I've followed all the steps I could from Nvidia and MSI support, and am just having a last few attempts while I wait to hear back from the retailer about returning the card.

Can you give more information on the components of your system? What PSU do you have and how old is it? What older GPU did you use? Did you try to remove the graphics drivers (preferably with DDU in Windows Safe Mode) and reinstall them?

Regards
Dalai

Thanks,

Power supply: Corsair CV450W
Motherboard: Asrock B365 Pro4
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18

All parts were purchased brand new last week. I'm on a tight budget or I'm sure some of the parts would have been different, but I checked compatibility beforehand.

The only other GPU I have to test with is an old PNY Geforce 9800 GT.

When testing the GTX 1650 I used DDU in safe mode several times to test clean installs of different Nvidia driver versions.

Thanks. I mainly asked for the PSU because I wasn't sure if it's up to the task. But that looks OK so far.

Since you already tried a lot of things, swapping GPUs, different GPU drivers and so on, the only test I can think of right now is to (temporarily) disable XMP in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I have my doubts that it helps ...

Regards
Dalai

Are you overclocking your motherboard, sounds like u need move vcore volts?
If you are increase by 0.10v.
I was getting a problem when I Overclocked with the same error. I would run prime fine soon as I started s game restart or the above error. So could be the same.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't overclocking at all. It's actually started displaying green flickering artefacts on the screen now so I'm now even further convinced that it was a bad card.

The retailer has now sent me a returns label so that's the end of my troubleshooting and hopefully I have better luck next time!

Thank you to all whop replied with suggestions. :)

Back