v5.50 Graph stay on top?

Kol12

Hi, 

Big fan here of HWiNFO and new to the forum. 

I updated to version 5.50 today and notice that the pop out graphs (i.e: Total Cpu usage graph) no longer remains on the desktop when minimizing the HWiNFO window. The graph now closes to the tray with the HWiNFO window. Is it possible to have the graph stay on the desktop in the new version?

Also I did not backup any HWiNFO settings before upgrading, but the fact that the graph automatically opened in the new version makes me think settings were saved by HWiNFO? I did not uninstall the old version, I just ran the latest installer...

Will HWiNFO save settings in this fashion?

Cheers.

Graph behavior while minimizing the sensors window can be changed using the "Minimize Graphs with sensors window" setting, which can be found in the main sensor settings dialog.
All user settings like window, sensor positions, tray icons, graphs, etc. are saved in registry and not changed during upgrade. So all these settings are preserved.

Ah, totally overlooked that! Is that new to version 5.50?

Excellent info regarding registry settings being preserved. How about if HWiNFO was uninstalled ie: an OS reinstall, should registry keys be backed up?

No, the "Minimize Graphs with sensors window" setting was there long ago. But this setting is kept in the INI file, which might be overwritten during a new installation (though you get a prompt whether to overwrite it), or when you copy over the default INI file from a new portable version.

When you reinstall the OS, or for any other reason you want to backup registry settings, there's a function in the main settings to "Backup User Settings" into a reg file, which can be simply launched to restore those settings back.

Settings kept in the INI file are portable, which means these are the settings that are not machine-specific and expected the user wants to take with him to other machines too.
Settings in the registry are mostly machine-specific (i.e. screen positions, sensor settings that depend on particular machine) and are unlikely to be used on a different system.

Ah, I see the back up feature in the settings when first launching HWiNFO. So a registry backup would be handy if you wanted to restore settings with a clean OS install for example?

Slight new problem. When trying to open the full program (not just sensors) I'm getting a Runtime Error. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Kol12 said:
Ah, I see the back up feature in the settings when first launching HWiNFO. So a registry backup would be handy if you wanted to restore settings with a clean OS install for example?

Yes.

Kol12 said:
Slight new problem. When trying to open the full program (not just sensors) I'm getting a Runtime Error. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File when that happens and I will check that.

I'm having trouble getting Debug to run. After enabling Debug mode in the settings and then clicking run, the Runtime Error just occurs as usual and no Debug file seems to be made in the HWiNFO installation directory.

The Runtime error seems to only occur when trying to run both summary and sensors together. Summary by itself works ok as does Sensors. Neither Sensors or Summary is creating a Debug file. At what point is the Debug creation meant to occur? Hitting ok in the settings box after selecting Debug Mode? What is the scan process?

The debug file is created during the entire scan process, so it starts when you hit the Run button (and Debug Mode is enabled). Then after closing HWiNFO (or after crash) the debug file is accessible.

Hmm well the Debug file just isn't being created, any ideas? Here is a screenshot of the full Runtime error:

HWi_NFO_Runtime_Error.png

So when does that happen, right after you hit the Run button and the scan starts ?
Can you please check again in Sensors-only mode whether the DBG file is present after running and closing HWiNFO ?

Yes, it occurs about halfway through the scan or sensor detection after pressing run. Still no DBG file after opening and closing sensors only mode. Remember that both sensors and summary open normally if opened separately. Hope that helps.

Yes, that might be the same problem, but hard to say without a Debug File from you. I'm sure that a Debug File is created, at least when you run in sensor-only mode. Are you sure you're checking for the file in the correct folder ?
Anyway, please try the build I posted there and let me know the results.

Yes, if you launch HWiNFO from that folder.
In the other thread I have already got the required information and posted a build that I think might work. Please try and let me know.

Right, the issue was that I was not running HWiNFO as administrator. I now have the Debug file created after the Runtime crash.

Yip, the 551_3139.zip version works with no Runtime error but I noticed that it was not an installable.exe, so would I just copy and replace those files in the existing HWiNFO installation directory? I'm also notified of Beta 551-3135, what should I do?

Yes, just copy the new files over the previous ones in the installation directory.
Use the latest build 3139 that works for you.

Back