Voltages Differences?

Ken429

I have been playing with my Z97 Extreme6/4790K system trying to get it to run "cool" at 4.6 GHz.  In doing so I have been trying to figure out how to control the Vcore using the Adaptive method.  I think I'm getting to where I want to be but stumbled upon the different voltages being reported by CPU-Z, HWiNFO64 and Aida64.  All of the programs are the latest non-beta release.  It looks like CPU-Z is broke since it does not change the voltage when the system is under load!  However, there is always a ~.03 voltage difference between HWiNFO64 and Aida64.  Why the difference?  Are there different sensors involved?

I believe CPU-Z is completely off here - it reports half of VCCIN voltage as Vcore.
AIDA64 most probably reports the VID value on the screen you posted.
HWiNFO reports both - VID (CPU sensor) and true Vcore (ASRock... sensor) values.

This is what happens under load?  Aida64 fluctuates between 1.178 and 1.212 and HWiNFO fluctuates between 1.192 and 1.240 while running IBT.  CPU-Z is not in the game?!

Yes, and I appreciate the information.  The only thing I was trying to show is CUPID says the VCore is ~1.178 under load and HWiNFO says the VID is ~1.211 under load.  Maybe the two programs are looking at the VID at slightly different times and that's the difference?  Although reporting the VID as "Core Voltage", if that is what CUPID is doing, doesn't help much when trying to figure out the lowest possible stable Vcore setting when OC'ing.

Also, the "VID" or Core Voltage reported by CPUID changes by about the same amount as the change the I make to the "Vcore Voltage Additional Offset" in the BIOS.  I did not think that would affect the VID calculation but then...

Reporting of Vcore depends on mainboard used. I believe, CPU-Z reads a wrong value - take the Vccin value in HWiNFO, divide it by 2 and you get the CPU-Z Core Voltage ;)
You might also check with ASRock tool to see who is correct.

Back