What are some of the most important values for beginners?

jeffhwinfo

Hi guys,
Just upgraded my PC with Ryzen 3600x + RTX 3070 and I installed hwinfo to constantly monitor important hardware specs real-time.
However there are so many values on the board so it's kind of hard to figure out which values I should show and which ones to hide.

For the background, I enabled Ryzen PBO and I use Hyper-V VM on my Windows 10 pretty often.

Q: Is there some sort of recommended spec that I should watch to monitor the system's overall stability and anomalies? I'm trying to hide things that seem not so important but I don't really know what I'm doing.
Q: Is it a good idea to hide all voltage-related icons if I'm just gonna monitor the PC's stability in everyday usage? I'm not overclocking on my own at all. Just PBO.

I wish there was some sort of a default setting that the beginners can just pick up. Too many values and I have no idea what they are....

That's a good idea, kind of "minimal monitoring," which only shows a handle full of most critical readings. For example, CPU, GPU temps, MHz, and a few more.

I understand that for many users the huge amount of sensors might be confusing.
But it's not easy to classify which sensor item is considered important/non-important. Many users have a very different preference.

I’m not trying to offend anyone, or to “play” the expert, just my thoughts on the subject.
If you don’t know what those readings are ( at least most of them) then you don’t really know your system and how it works. Once I didn’t know either. I know you’re trying to find a beginning, but it’s a little hard. I find at least 70% of all reported sensors, interesting and somehow vital to understand the behavior of my system. I also have a R5 3600/X570 system.

There is no real point to know a temperature or a speed if I don’t know the power consumption, the voltage, the load... etc...

Just a friendly advice.
Maybe you should start by researching here in the forum first, for older posts/questions (search button) about what all those readings are. For example: “What is effective clock”, or “What is c-states residency”, “FCLK”, “Why are too many CPU voltages” ...and every thing you don’t know or understand. What you can’t find just make your own question.

Zach, at first reading, to be honest I did feel, just a little annoyed. But I was wrong. I realize what you say in not malicious or anything negative. In fact it's correct.

I want to add that I didn't really phrase my first post well. I do understand the measurements you mentioned, C-States, Vcore, Package and GPU readings. I have built five, two highly overclocked PCs in the past ten years.

My post indicated the opposite. My apologies. I would have replied in a similar fashion to you. What was on my mind at the time is about a new i9-9900ks with Asrock Phantom 9 (mid/high level, for me the VRMs are well reviewed which is why I went for that.)

While surfing I just suddenly got annoyed. I always thought VCORE was the reading for CPU voltage, CPU package power for watts and power (POUT) also is important and the ones to check. I still think so. But those are just a few examples. Recently I read otherwise very good guides and articles across the internet which basically agree, but use different terminology at least, and sometimes different parameters to check for a particular reading.

I guess I've been mostly right over the years with some good results and no burnt out components and would like to continue like that. It was just reading several articles which in general were the same, but specifices (parameters) were different.

I should have counted to ten before posting. Finally, to be sure your post is the best reply to my post, and correct. I "liked," your post of course.

Last edited:
I understand that for many users the huge amount of sensors might be confusing.
But it's not easy to classify which sensor item is considered important/non-important. Many users have a very different preference.

Thank you Martin. My post was, well, a bad day. Sorry. All I wrote to Zach who layed it out perfectly also applies to you.
On a positive note I've been using HWinfo since my first build if memory serves. That was i7-940k (45nm lithography!) on an x58 sabertooth with a fermi gtx 580 gpu.
I used it almost exclusively except for stress testing on my still good z77-Core -i5-3770k based system.

My post was stupid. Please forget it. Any more posts by me will be specific and, proper questions, not the wishy washy stuff I wrote. I have done a lot of CPU overclocking and may join in any discussions about that. Currently on 8th gen coffee lake i7-8086k which I delidded and got lucky. It runs cooly at it's current OC of 5.1GHz. It can run, but not stably at 5.3GHz. Pretty amazing, but way over daily use. I'll take stability over a hundred or two MHz any day.

I got a lucky deal on a brand new i9-9900ks (yes, another special edition), waiting on RTX 3080ti and had to mod my case for the thick rad, but excellent (reported) cooling of the Arctic Freezer 2 280. Man, that radiator is 37mm thick. I think the normal is around 24 to 29mm? Not many cases have 37mm rad, plus 25mm fans, plus, say 3mm for clearance between case top and memory/motherboard. I had to literally cut metal and all sorts, but am very happy with the result.

Ok, that's all for now. And thanks again Martin.

Back