wrong chipset temperature ?

Just for testing I placed gpu in second slot and placed 12in fan on top of the chipset cooler and tried the two sides pull or push air and I got only 6c lower when I push air into the cooler. I want to try to remove the plastic cover of the cooler itself , but I have to remove the motherboard for third time in two days. The cooler will be naked but I will take some pictures :)

Last question please: I applied noctua thermal paste is it fine or better get thermal pad ?

You should buy thermal gun and test yourself.
If the pch temperature is high, you should use thermal pad (it is not dangerous for mainboard).
If you can do, you should use copper heat in there (PCH), temperature will decrease 10 degree or more.
This is my xps 9550 mainboard, the position PCH chipset is red round. At now, temperature is 45 degree, I turn on laptop 24/7.
I use aluminium heatsink and thermal pad. These are very cheap.
2021-02-22 15.27.07.jpg

I ditch the plastic cover the cooler and fan and I placed thermal pad , result: No change the temperature still high

this is what it look like now.

05125804508l.jpg

Also, you know that the fan now is pretty much useless right? Without the cover it cant direct air flow to those fins.
You definitely need more external air flow now with the help of a fan.

I was thinking to install another fan with heat sink but I can not find one at this size , the space between gpu and chipset is so small

Ouch that is hot when i put in my 6900 xt with stock cooler right on top of chipset became really hot to cos it blew hot air on the chip when i ran my 6900 xt on agressive fan profile aka 100% during gaming it would not exceed 68c, now however its on water chipset never exceeds 63c 64c im not sure what temps chipset is rated at but i would not like those temps knowning what i can get.
You wanna keep plastic cover on btw it redirects airflow fan generates towards fins on chipset.

Ouch that is hot when i put in my 6900 xt with stock cooler right on top of chipset became really hot to cos it blew hot air on the chip when i ran my 6900 xt on agressive fan profile aka 100% during gaming it would not exceed 68c, now however its on water chipset never exceeds 63c 64c im not sure what temps chipset is rated at but i would not like those temps knowning what i can get.
You wanna keep plastic cover on btw it redirects airflow fan generates towards fins on chipset.
Ok. I also discovered this high temps when I got my 6800 xt it also a beast but when I moved the gpu to second slot the temps did not change so I guess the problem exists even before I changed my gpu I just did not notice it. I wish if there are better cooler parts I can buy. I disabled zero rpm in the gpu so it run at 72c instead of 80+ but in gaming it reach now 91+

May help setting up aggressive fan profile or go watercooling on your gpu, i did this teusday after month of testing to make sure i did not buy a dud.

Ok. I also discovered this high temps when I got my 6800 xt it also a beast but when I moved the gpu to second slot the temps did not change so I guess the problem exists even before I changed my gpu I just did not notice it. I wish if there are better cooler parts I can buy. I disabled zero rpm in the gpu so it run at 72c instead of 80+ but in gaming it reach now 91+
When you move the GPU to the second slot did you check its PCI-E speed? Also the NVMe drives's speed.
If everything works the same with the moved GPU you can always try to use a large chipset cooler like this:

1622166566346.jpeg

I’m not sure...
Did you try eBay? I think you will find many different types of chipset coolers there.

Back