Wrong CPU Socket Temperature on Asus Crosshair VII Hero

fullerms

Hi all,

I am facing an issue with HWInfo reporting wrong CPU Socket temperatures on a Asus Crosshair VII Hero (AMD X470) motherboard. The CPU Socket temperatures seem to be an exact copy of the PCH Temperatures, and are very high compared to the CPU Temperatures being reported. This happens even when the system is idling.

I have tried Reinstalling HWInfo, a clean install of windows and even rolled back to a previous bios version with no change.

This wasn't the case until about a week ago, and is a recent issue. Will appreciate any help on the matter.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    947.4 KB · Views: 4
CPU (Socket) temperature on these series of mainboards is an 'unofficial' value, it's possible that ASUS changed something in recent BIOSes and this value now reflects the chipset value.
I propose to ignore this.

Martin said:
CPU (Socket) temperature on these series of mainboards is an 'unofficial' value, it's possible that ASUS changed something in recent BIOSes and this value now reflects the chipset value.
I propose to ignore this.

Thanks for the response, but a BIOS reset seems to fix the issue, and the problem pops up only when I configure a few OC parameters. Will investigate further and narrow it down to the specific setting.

Edit: I have attached the latest debug file, could you please check it and let me know what has changed to fix the issue?

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    911.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi Martin,

Not noted an issue same as fullterms on C7H WIFI, used all UEFIs since launch of mobo with HWINFO. If you can take the time to check debug file it would aid us to perhaps get an inclining on what is going on.

Cheers
Gup

Sorry guys, but in this case all sensor values are provided by the BIOS via WMI and HWiNFO doesn't touch the SIO nor EC anymore (to avoid issues).
It's completely in the hands of the BIOS and I assume they changed something here (either the SIO temperature source, or report this value from EC).
ASUS should be able to provide more details.
If you'd like to switch back to the original method (with the risk of issues when accessing the SIO), put the following line at the end of HWiNFO64.INI file:
AsusWMI=0

Martin said:
Sorry guys, but in this case all sensor values are provided by the BIOS via WMI and HWiNFO doesn't touch the SIO nor EC anymore (to avoid issues).
It's completely in the hands of the BIOS and I assume they changed something here (either the SIO temperature source, or report this value from EC).
ASUS should be able to provide more details.
If you'd like to switch back to the original method (with the risk of issues when accessing the SIO), put the following line at the end of HWiNFO64.INI file:
AsusWMI=0

Ok thanks for this  ;) .

I'll get fullterms to compare EC FW with me. Perhaps then roll back a UEFI so SIO FW is downgraded, then reflash newer (which has SIO FW update) to see it resolves the issue for him :) .

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have traced the issue.

The error occurs when I configure Chassis Fan 1 to use PCH as the temperature source in BIOS.

I tested various combinations and have attached the logs for your review.

Fans headers used for testing -ChFan1, ChFan2, HAMP Fan
Temperature Sources - CPU, PCH, T Sensor
BIOS Version - 1201.

Attachments

• Error - ChFan1-PCH--Chfan2-PCH.DBG
    863.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Error - ChFan1-PCH--HampFan-CPU.DBG
    713.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Error - ChFan1-PCH--HampFan-PCH.DBG
    646.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Works - ChFan1-CPU--HampFan-CPU.DBG
    713.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Works - ChFan1-CPU--HampFan-PCH.DBG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Attaching the last test result to this post.

Attachments

• Works - ChFan1-TSensor-ChFan2-PCH-HampFan-PCH.DBG
    681.8 KB · Views: 1
Back