61 PCI/PCIe Bus Errors in 4 minutes

Dagoth

Hi there.

I have been trying to fix the wifi in my G14 2022 because it keeps cycling/dropping recently. I switched my intel card back out for my mediatek card and same problem. It just vanishes or stops working randomly which usually has to be hard reset to come back.

I have found out it may be my M2 sitting on top of the wifi card in the laptop overheating it, so I downloaded hwinfo to monitor the temp of the wifi card (which I can't find), and I see that 61 total errors were reported in less than 5 minutes.

Obviously this is a problem. Can someone teach me how to generate a report and find out what's happening and how I can fix this?

Thank you for your time :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-08 140918.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 140918.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 9

I have uploaded the file here!

I want to say that my wifi has been stable for around 30 minutes now with no drops. Which is unusual. Last night it dropped and would not even come back after system restarts. I spent over 2 hours taking my laptop apart, fiddling with the wifi card, taking the intel card out trying the old mediatek. It's a nightmare.

I believed the M2 nvme to be overheating the wifi card but I'm not sure. This could also be BIOS related ...

Yes, these errors are indeed generated by PCIe Device in Bus #5, which is the "MediaTek MT7922 Wi-Fi 6E 160MHz Wireless LAN Card"

Yes, these errors are indeed generated by PCIe Device in Bus #5, which is the "MediaTek MT7922 Wi-Fi 6E 160MHz Wireless LAN Card"
Do you know what the root cause of these errors would be sir?

What should I do? Put the intel card back in? The intel card was doing the same thing (only started a few weeks ago badly)

Update #2: Running for 37 minutes and no errors, no wifi drop.

Very strange. Makes me think it actually is thermal related based on how hard the M2 is being used?

EDIT: The errors returned, now total error: 16

It appears to be less consistent now. I have not had any wifi drops for a while now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-08 150600.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 150600.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If two different cards from different vendors show the same errors, then I think it's something with the slot, mainboard (routing/signals) or BIOS.
I'd recommend to consult the notebook vendor and maybe file an RMA.

Thanks. I've been running for a while now with no wifi drop / no errors so I will see if things have become better. Still on the mediatek for now.

If two different cards from different vendors show the same errors, then I think it's something with the slot, mainboard (routing/signals) or BIOS.
I'd recommend to consult the notebook vendor and maybe file an RMA.
Okay, so I went and removed the gel thing on the bottom of my nvme so that I only have the copper heatsink and gel on top to give it more space inside the laptop (before I think it may have even been touching the wifi card which probably caused interference and to heat and fail).

It seems to be working fine with no errors now. I will update further if things change!

That get thing (grey) might have been a thermal pad to dissipate heat from the module ;)

That get thing (grey) might have been a thermal pad to dissipate heat from the module ;)
Hi. I put that one in there myself. The laptop only came with one on top. Perhaps lack of space is why.

I had no wifi disconnections yesterday but once my network adapter vanished and I had to show hidden and then check for changes to restore it. What causes that? Never seen it before.

Whole adapter disappeared in Device Manager? That could be a problem with bus/connector.

Back