Asus EC sensors?

Kol12

Is it safe to monitor the Asus EC sensors on an Asus Maximus X Hero? These sensors usually show a warning but once not monitored the warning doesn't show again so I cannot remember what the warning is. Is it a conflict issue perhaps with Asus AI Suite which also monitors these sensors? These sensors include monitoring a thermal sensor cable I have plugged in. Another question if it is safe to monitor these sensors is what are the negative readings on the thermal sensor cable? 

Asus_EC_HWi_NFO.png

I don't recommend monitoring the ASUS EC sensor in case ASUS AI Suite is installed or running, this can cause conflicts.
Those negative values seem like an invalid readout also due to such a conflict.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Can you tell me what the EC stands for? Will HWiNFO read and is it safe to read these board sensors if AI Suite is completely removed?

EC = Embedded Controller
I cannot give a 100% guarantee that reading this sensor won't cause some minor system latency issues, but from my experience on all recent ASUS systems there should be no problem. It there are some values that you don't need to monitor, I suggest to disable them.
We're also currently working with ASUS on an alternate method to read sensor values that will be fast and not suffer from any issues.

Martin said:
EC = Embedded Controller
I cannot give a 100% guarantee that reading this sensor won't cause some minor system latency issues, but from my experience on all recent ASUS systems there should be no problem. It there are some values that you don't need to monitor, I suggest to disable them.

Are you referring to specifically the EC sensors or other motherboard sensors? Are you saying that some of the EC sensors can be monitored without issues?

Martin said:
We're also currently working with ASUS on an alternate method to read sensor values that will be fast and not suffer from any issues.

Wow sounds great!

Kol12 said:
Martin said:
EC = Embedded Controller

Are you referring to specifically the EC sensors or other motherboard sensors? Are you saying that some of the EC sensors can be monitored without issues?
Only the EC sensor. Yes, most EC sensors (and especially on ASUS mainboards) can be monitored without any issues. But it's not possible to know this in advance for a given system, each user needs to test this (for example if there are some hiccups while playing games and monitoring the EC sensor).
This behavior is unfortunately by design of the EC sensor and that's the reason why we're searching for a better solutions with ASUS.

But you still don't recommend monitoring the EC sensors at all if AI Suite is installed? or can this be something the user can experiment with a sensor by sensor case basis? Is the latency due to monitoring software conflicts or is it an issue with HWiNFO monitoring the EC sensors?

No I don't recommend monitoring the EC sensor with AI Suite. Moreover, a lot of users don't recommend AI Suite at all ;)
I already explained that the problem with EC (including latency) is by design.

I appreciate those details @Martin. First time poster - I just found this thread via googling. Hat tip to you on a great app.

Were you able to get a better solution working with ASUS in these last few years and generally, do you still recommend "Do Not Monitor" for ASUS EC in 2023? I have the latest HW app and a Z690 mobo from ASUS (with the latest ASUS software/utilities.

I have not observed any stuttering or errors, but wanted to consult you as well. Thanks!

The only issues I've seen on later mainboards with ASUS EC sensor were due collisions with other applications accessing this sensor.
Even though this EC sensor design is quite archaic, it should be safe as long as you avoid other monitoring software.
Unfortunately, ASUS still didn't decide to switch to a more modern and safer design. They seem to go by the motto "Never touch a running system".

The only issues I've seen on later mainboards with ASUS EC sensor were due collisions with other applications accessing this sensor.
Even though this EC sensor design is quite archaic, it should be safe as long as you avoid other monitoring software.
Unfortunately, ASUS still didn't decide to switch to a more modern and safer design. They seem to go by the motto "Never touch a running system".

Great Martin, cheers.

Back