ASUS Prime X470-Pro - Fan headers shutting down after a while when running HWiNFO

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Disabling EC Support won't help to work around the problem, for that you'll need to disable monitoring of the entire ASUS WMI sensor (hit Del key over the sensor heading).

KnightAzul

Ok thanks for your help! I'll leave ASUS WMI sensor disabled and see what happens over a few days.

I mentioned about disabling the EC sensor as it was mentioned in an above post:

"For the time being, you might try to run HWiNFO, but with the ITE sensor (and most probably the ASUS EC sensor too) disabled"

EC support (Safety -> EC support) and EC sensor are two different things I guess? Sorry if this is a n00b question.

KnightAzul

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
That statement would be valid if the ASUS WMI sensor would not be present, which would indicate the legacy method is used.

KnightAzul

Ok, got it. If no ASUS WMI present, then I would have ASUS ITE sensor and possibly ASUS EC sensor in the sensors list - both of which would need to be disabled.

Thanks for the clarification.
KnightAzul

dokbenway

I am also having this problem with the chasis fans randomly switching off when HWiNFO is running on the ASUS Prime X470-Pro.

It didn't happen before the September BIOS 5220 update (1.0.0.3ABBA) which also broke the temperature reporting for the chipset, temp sensor and CPU OPT speed, and neither issue was fixed by the most recent BIOS 5406 (Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B).

I'm expecting this to be another BIOS bug (thanks ASUS), however it also only ever occurs for me when HWiNFO is running.

Before the ABBA update I was doing extensive fan and temp testing and had HWiNFO running all day every day for several weeks and never had this problem.

After the BIOS update broke the temp reporting there wasn't much point in me continuing my tests, so since then I have had HWiNFO running only occasionally. However, on maybe 30-50% of these occasions of running HWiNFO the fans stop after an undetermined period of time.

If I restart HWiNFO the chasis fans vanish completely from the report. First screenshot shows stopped fans. Second shows missing readings on restarting HWiNFO.

Attachments

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
I have reported these issues several times to ASUS, but it seems that with every new update they fix some but create other bugs...

dokbenway

dokbenway
did you report to ASUS? I think we need to ping them with this and other things.
I think you are right, but I haven't got around to it yet. I was hoping there would be a BIOS fix in time as I believed the incorrect readings were a known issue to them. The fans stopping again today brought it all up again so thought I'd ask re that here as I'd not mentioned it before.

dokbenway

I have reported these issues several times to ASUS, but it seems that with every new update they fix some but create other bugs...
Thank you Martin :) Yes, I knew you'd been in touch with them so that they were aware and had claimed to be introducing a fix. Hence me waiting the issue out. It's probably worth me starting bugging them about it though... can't do any harm.

dumpsterj

I just figured out why I'd come back and my PC would be off. I was sitting here and noticed HWinfo was showing 103 degrees . My fans and water cooler had all shut completely off. They need to fix this crap.