Asus X670e-i Chipset Temp not showing up

I'm running the latest version of the BIOS. I recently swapped motherboards, from an ASRock X670 to this Asus B650E-F. The X670 only showed Chipset 2 temps, Chipset 1 was missing. Now on this B650E-F, it shows nothing. I'm not sure what else could be going on here.

Installing this Asus software gave me an interesting insight into this problem. When I check the sensors immediately after booting up, it shows the Chipset Temperature accurate to what the BIOS reports. Pic proof:

weird.png

However, after a few sensor update cycles have passed, suddenly the Chipset sensor starts to report N/A:
broken.png

Where do I go from here? I truly believe this is a software problem but it's clearly not HWinfo64's fault as it happens with Asus AI Suite as well. Sitting in the BIOS and watching the sensor, it never has this issue occur. I have no idea where to begin diagnosing this. Anyways thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

Looks like this might be a BIOS problem that doesn't properly initialize the sensor before booting to OS.

I didn't think I would bump this again, figuring since the problem happened in the Asus AI Suite that it surely is not a software problem but rather a hardware or BIOS one, but here we are again with a truly bizarre discovery.

While checking the Chipset 1 probe in HWinfo64 immediately after boot where the sensor blips a few times then after those few hardware polls, it goes dormant, I happened to notice something very strange. If I open another 3rd party program called OpenRGB, then magically the sensor begins reading correctly in HWinfo64 again! Closing the program causes the sensor to grey out and become inactive in HWinfo64. Reopening OpenRGB restore temperature sensor updating. It's 100% reproducible. I am truly at a loss over what's going on here but it seems like it IS something to do with software after all.

Thanks, that's an interesting observation.
I will discuss this with ASUS...
Figured it out! I had apparently disabled the "AURA LED Controller" under Universal Serial Bus devices menu in Device Manager some time ago because I don't use RGB lighting on my setup, I prefer it to be fully dark. Once I noticed the weird behavior of running OpenRGB causing the Chipset 1 temperature probe to wake up in HWinfo64, I remembered that I disabled it in Device Manager. Now that I reenabled it in Device manager, HWinfo64 happily reports the Chipset temperature all the time without OpenRGB running! If you haven't yet talked to Asus, be sure to let them know about this bizarre connection. I don't know why an Aura Sync system device would have anything to do with the northbridge temperature diode functioning properly, but here we are.
Aura LED.png

OK, so this chipset temperature is measured by the embedded USB3 XHCI controller.
For this to work, the controller needs to be powered. When it's not utilized, the system can power it down and the temperature won't be reported.
To avoid powering off the XHCI controller you might need to connect a device to it, or disable the following setting in Device Manager:

1704124624944.png

OpenRGB might be somehow keeping the USB controller busy, hence it won't be automatically powered down..
Assuming the "AURA LED Controller" is connected to that USB controller well so when it's active, it prevents it from powering down as well.

Bingo, you were 100% right. The AURA LED Controller must have been keeping that USB controller alive because once I disabled the power down option in that USB3.20 controller, disabling the AURA LED Controller does not cause the temperature sensor from disappearing. Great to know! Thanks man glad we got to the bottom of this, I was losing my mind thinking I had a defective board or something haha

OK, so this chipset temperature is measured by the embedded USB3 XHCI controller.
For this to work, the controller needs to be powered. When it's not utilized, the system can power it down and the temperature won't be reported.
To avoid powering off the XHCI controller you might need to connect a device to it, or disable the following setting in Device Manager:

View attachment 10532

OpenRGB might be somehow keeping the USB controller busy, hence it won't be automatically powered down..
Assuming the "AURA LED Controller" is connected to that USB controller well so when it's active, it prevents it from powering down as well.
This worked like a charm, thank you so much!

mine is a X670E-PLUS board, I was starting to think it had gone broken

For me it was the CHipset 1 temp that went missing
1704656736664.png

View attachment 10532

Thanks everyone for explaining this issue.
I am using X670E GENE.

In my case, I was able to monitor chipset 1 after disabling the power management option of "AMD USB 3.10 eXtensibile Host Controller - 1.10".
Cheers.

Back