Auto Start doesn't remain ticked

Hi Martin,
Following a system restore I noticed that the auto start feature does not remain ticked. I even uninstalled and reinstalled HWiNFO, but the problem is still there: no items are shown in the tray unless I start HWiNFO manually.  Could you explain why is this happening?
Thanks 
(Running XP pro, SP3)

Martin said:
And what happens if you enable Autostart ?

Nothing. I have to start HWiNFO manually by double clicking HWiNFO32.exe. The items I've added to the tray show up and when I right click the HWiNFO icon in the tray and select 'settings' I see that 'Auto Start' is not enabled. I tick the check box next to it and then hit OK, but when I reopen settings' the 'auto start' is disabled.

Are you maybe using some antivirus, antimalware or other tool that might prevent HWiNFO from autostart ?

Martin said:
Are you maybe using some antivirus, antimalware or other tool that might prevent HWiNFO from autostart ?
I Don't think so. Using MBAM or Karspersky TDSS Killer with no real time protection could not cause such a malfunction. I have been using both utilities along with HWiNFO for a long time. As I said in my first post, it came along with system restore. Most probably it's not a HWiNFO's bug but Windows's.
Thanks anyway

Well, it looks like something is not allowing HWiNFO to put itself into the Windows autostart.
If you have experience with Windows Registry, I can give you a few instructions how to check that, or configure via regedit.

Martin said:
Well, it looks like something is not allowing HWiNFO to put itself into the Windows autostart.
If you have experience with Windows Registry, I can give you a few instructions how to check that, or configure via regedit.

OK. I am not a computer geek but I will try. Please note that I am using the portable app.
Thanks

OK, please run "regedit" from the command prompt (Win+R).
Then navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and check if you see a "HWiNFO32" key there.

Martin said:
OK, please run "regedit" from the command prompt (Win+R).
Then navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and check if you see a "HWiNFO32" key there.
No, there is no such a key as 'Run' and consequently HWiNFO key. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• run.JPG
    run.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1
That's odd, the "Run" key should normally be present on all machines. Looks like something went wrong during the system restore. You might have problems with automatic start of other applications as well.
Please try to create the "Run" key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" and then try HWiNFO to enable Autostart.

Martin said:
That's odd, the "Run" key should normally be present on all machines. Looks like something went wrong during the system restore. You might have problems with automatic start of other applications as well.
Please try to create the "Run" key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" and then try HWiNFO to enable Autostart.

SpyrosGeorge said:
Martin said:

Thanks, Martin, but I'm not familiar with creation of registry keys. To create a key I have to right click another key and select: New>Key. Which is going to be 'CurrentVersion' or 'Run once'?
Do I have to set a value for the new key? Please advise.

You need to right-click on the parent key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
choose New > Key, then name it "Run".
That should then result in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, which will be empty.

Martin said:
You need to right-click on the parent key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
choose New > Key, then name it "Run".
That should then result in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, which will be empty.

Sorry to bother you again, but right clicking the parent key I get a message saying that 'cannot create key. Error writing to the registry'.

Ah, that explains why HWiNFO can't autostart - it's performing a similar action as you have tried now, but it can't write into the registry.
I'm not sure what exactly happened after the system restore, but it seems something is blocking writes to the registry. This will certainly have an effect on other applications too, not just HWiNFO.
Are you sure those antiviruses you use are not causing it?

Martin said:
Ah, that explains why HWiNFO can't autostart - it's performing a similar action as you have tried now, but it can't write into the registry.
I'm not sure what exactly happened after the system restore, but it seems something is blocking writes to the registry. This will certainly have an effect on other applications too, not just HWiNFO.

Martin said:

Hi Martin
I managed to create the run key, I was doing something wrong. Now everything is back to normal again.
You were right. I did have a couple of other problems as well: my wireless USB adapter, Tp link, did not show its icon on the task bar and my email client, Outlook Express, could not perform spelling. I am going to uninstall and reinstall it again. Tp link its OK now.
Thanks for everything, really.

Back