Bus Clock Seems Wrong

krich1987

Prior to the 7.7 release, I noticed that the bus clock reported in HWiNFO would show 99.8 instead of 100 mhz when I used the old microcode (104) in the ASUS BIOS (z790), but it accurately showed 100 mhz in the current microcode version. With the new release it's showing this same 99.8 mhz bus clock for both microcode versions. I've read that it might be related to Hyper-V, but I'm not able to disable that as it's not in my Windows Features menu. Is there any way to correct this? Changing the Bus Clock speed in BIOS doesn't seem to change this at all in HWiNFO. I tried enabling/disabling virtualization and also the spread spectrum features in BIOS and these don't fix it either

This might be a purely aesthetic issue as nothing seems to be affected other than the HWiNFO clock speed readouts, but the non-whole numbers bother me personally, and I'd like it to report accurate numbers. Can this be fixed?

Slightly lower BCLK like 99.8 MHz is usually due to Spread Spectrum, and the value is correct. This is common.

Slightly lower BCLK like 99.8 MHz is usually due to Spread Spectrum, and the value is correct. This is common.
This value was rock solid at 100 mhz though on the current microcode until the new update today, and spread spectrum on/off doesn't change it, nor does moving the bus clock value up/down in BIOS

Here's a link to a debug file I just generated: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkWoSCXws5Omh6Ne4vLnpWesFWF8eQ?e=Gi66TS
Let me know if you have any problems downloading this. Note that this is on the old 104 microcode (which has always been stuck at 99.8 mhz BCLK), but the current microcode is also now experiencing the same issue starting with today's update. I can generate a new debug on the current microcode if you need that.

BCLK shown by HWiNFO is what the CPU reports. This is very accurate in case the CPU knows at which BCLK is it running, which is the case when BCLK is driven by internal PLL.
Some boards however can use an external PLL to drive the BCLK and in this case the CPU might not report accurate BCLK.

Back