Can't figure out which PCIe NVME is supported

confusedbypci

Long story short: I bought a prebuilt Asus GA35 with a 3090 in it. Now I need to determine if this mother board supports NVMe Gen4 for a m.2 in the NVMe slots, or if I need to get a new mobo. See the below screenshots.

the PCIe bridge shows that it is PCIe Version 4, but the NVMe controller is showing Version 3. I don't know if its talking about the low priced NVMe that is currently in there, or the controller itself.

Any help is welcomed. Thank you,

1628877997019.png

1628877956614.png

1628877973342.png

The system specs I found online say that the GA35 uses the AMD X570 chipset. If that's true, the system can support PCIe 4.0 everywhere, i.e. devices connected to the CPU or the chipset. Support for PCIe 4.0 doesn't mean it's using it, though. Keep in mind that PCIe is backwards compatible, meaning that devices with older PCIe versions can be used as well, but they will run with the older PCIe version and lower speed, of course.

According to the specs linked above, ASUS ships the systems with a PCIe 3.0 SSD - and that's fine IMO because PCIe 4.0 SSDs are expensive, get pretty hot and you get in the territory of diminishing return compared to PCIe 3.0 SSDs.

Regards
Dalai

Back