Confused about voltage usage on the R9 5900x

lysander

I got this CPU at the beginning of last year and I still can't workout one thing. If I set the CPU speed and vcore to say 4.5ghz and 1.25v in the BIOS (running a Gigabyte Aorus X570 pro).
When I go into windows I can see in HWiNFO SVI2 TFN voltage at 1.25v but when I run Cinebench R23 and a multi core test the vcore drops to 1.1v.
Is there some thing in Ryzen doing this? I've gone through the whole bios and haven't been able to effect this behaviour.

Ryzen Master and/or the Adrenaline apps show 1.1v all core load too.

usually the voltage drops due to vdroop under load, but going from 1.25v to 1.1 is a lot of droop, if its causing stability issues you can user a higher level of load line calibration to help it.

Or power limiting - higher current might require lower voltage to stay within the power limit.

usually the voltage drops due to vdroop under load, but going from 1.25v to 1.1 is a lot of droop, if its causing stability issues you can user a higher level of load line calibration to help it.
Thanks slybunda for this. I moved the load line calibration up two notches and now the CPU will run using 1.2v @4.5ghz all core.

It's been a bit of a learning curve with Ryzen, coming over from Intel previously. A fun one though.
tell me about it, iv been getting a twitchy bottom looking at the high volts these cpus hit and soo many stories of degradation has got me really worried.

tell me about it, iv been getting a twitchy bottom looking at the high volts these cpus hit and soo many stories of degradation has got me really worried.
Same here. I usually like a fixed speed and voltage but couldn't get a stable one in Ryzen until now (after much readng and testing).
So i'd left it on pretty much default in the bios for a year until i suddenly started getting game crashes, stutters (in general use, just watching videos) and app slow downs. Did a fresh windows install and still had issues so then I did testing and monitoring of the cpu and seeing voltage sat at 1.4v-1.5v most of the time and this was in a few different workloads usually lightly threaded.
Now it runs stable, temps are better and performance a lot more consistent, with only minimal single core performance loss. Although generally most apps/games I use will use 2-4 cores.

Back