Core Max Vs. CPU Package Temps

First of all thanks for the wonderful and very useful application.  Since i first opened it, never used anything else.  Oh, im lying, i do need to use hwmonitor for RING/LLC voltage as i cant get it with hwinfo.

My concern is as mentioned before, my package temps are always +5C from the max core temp.  Is this a fixed value or offset, should just use the max core temp or really go by cpu packge.  Thanks.

I have seen this difference on some CPUs, but I'm sorry, I don't have an explanation for it. I have tried to get a clarification from Intel, but didn't get any yet.
As already explained in this thread, the CPU Package temperature is an averaged value of the hottest sensor and assuming CPU cores are the hottest ones (no significant iGPU load), those values should be very close.

Martin said:
I have seen this difference on some CPUs, but I'm sorry, I don't have an explanation for it. I have tried to get a clarification from Intel, but didn't get any yet.
As already explained in this thread, the CPU Package temperature is an averaged value of the hottest sensor and assuming CPU cores are the hottest ones (no significant iGPU load), those values should be very close.

Appreciate your help anyways.  I'm using a i7 6800k so no integrated graphics which should give me a value for the package output close to the max core.  I always keep an eye on it but mainly use the core max temp.  I've used also hwmonitor and the package temp is much closer to max core value.  

Thanks once more.

Back