corsair ax1500i sensors

alex21

i just updated hwinfo64 from ancient 5.20 version to latest, i have a few UI related questions:

(a) why in sensor panel for corsair psu row font color alternates every cycle (2000 ms) from black to gray(shadowed)?
is it because psu is not able to provide readings for every sensor in each request, and so some become temporarily outdated, is that it?
i just dont like the font color 'blinking' in that way, can i make it use black color at all times?

ax1500i.png

(b) what was the default font / font size for tray sensors in the old version 5.20?
i liked it the way it was, and after update it changed, and i cannot seem to be able to restore it by manual settings

(c) could you pls help me with new settings in sensor settings -> general -> polling period:
- disk smart every 1 cycles
what is the safe/recommended frequency for smart polling for hdd/sata ssd/nvme ssd?
i ask because my seagate 8tb hdd definitely 'hates' this option, it audibly clicks on every such request, so i had to disable smart monitoring for it.
now i dont know whether i should do the same for my 2 x samsung m.2 950 pro?.. is constant smart polling actually bad for their performance and health?

- emb. controller every 1 cycles
what does this second setting mean?

(a) Grey items mean the sensor didn't provide valid data in the last cycle.
(b) The font is same in both versions - Tahoma
(c) There's no universal recommendation for a "safe" interval for SMART. If your drive doesn't like SMART polling you can safely use >100. Even with 1000 and main period of 2s, it would poll the disk every 33 minutes, which I believe is OK.
(d) Embedded Controller cycle applies only to systems featuring such sensor.

thank you for reply, Martin !

about (a), so its okay, its what i thought.
but is there a way to tell hwinfo to use black font regardless?
its just not comfortable for the eyes to look at constantly changing font color.

(d) where can i learn about the embedded controllers, and which boards have those?
i have asus z170-ws

(a) Sorry, that's not possible. The invalid values might be caused if you also run the Corsair software.
(d) If you see an "ASUS EC" sensor in your list, your board has such.

(a) maybe you will consider to add option to disable gray font in future version?
about corsair software, no, i don't use it, i only took the driver out of their installer. i like hwinfo.
is it normal for corsair psu to respond with such alternating subsets of all supported values, have you seen it before?
i mean it does eventually update every listed field, but it sometimes takes up to 5-7 cycles (sometimes less) of 2s each before a field gets next update.

is it normal for corsair psu to respond with such alternating subsets of all supported values, have you seen it before?
i mean it does eventually update every listed field, but it sometimes takes up to 5-7 cycles (sometimes less) of 2s each before a field gets next update.

Yes, some of the Corsair protocols are quite unreliable.

TBW is most likely not the only criteria determining drive health. There might be other parameters coming into the equation done by firmware to report health status.

about the psu again.. i just read the pinned Known issues thread, and enabled the Profiling time column.
it showed a lot of ms for the psu. do you think there's anything i could do? driver is latest, from newest corsair link.

or is this ok and to be expected, and are typical numbers for their psus?

ax1500i_2.png

hey thanks for posting this, do you see actual fan RPM when under load?

i just realized i dont even have that fan value on my list.. maybe Martin could fix this?

May I ask what Corsair software are you using?
Corsair Link or iCue?
I was using Corsair Link but it wasnt good experience along with HWiNFO. I switched to iCue and things got a lot better. Still you can control all Corsair hardware/lights from iCue.

---------

PSU sensors and Corsair's AIO sensors are the highiest "Profiling time" readings I'm getting from the entire system

Untitled21.png

hey thanks for posting this, do you see actual fan RPM when under load?

i just realized i dont even have that fan value on my list.. maybe Martin could fix this?
No it never spins. Not once I saw it turn on, on the default profile inside iCUE.
My system never exceeds 400W (short peak), 300~350W maybe sustained when gaming with demanding graphics. So PSU Temp2 (fan control temp) hardly goes over 40C.
I really dont know at what temp point the fan starts. Its the benefit of having a Platinum efficiency rated PSU and less than 50% load on it.
I know 750W platinum is overkill for my system but I already had the PSU for another "project" that I did not realize. I do have the headroom though for a component future upgrade that I want maybe 1~2 years from now. I do look for a ZEN3 high core count CPU and some over midrange RDNA3 GPU down the road. I tend to keep PSUs 5+ up to 10 years and never go cheap on them.

Last edited:
May I ask what Corsair software are you using?
Corsair Link or iCue?
i dont use either actually, only hwinfo. unpacked corsair installer, got the driver files from it, installed via device manager. both latest link and icue contain the exact same driver version for my psu.

i think these i-psus normally start slowly spinning up at around 40-60% load, depending on specific model.
mine's also always silent during work, maybe i only hear it for a few seconds after pc shutdown, the fan test at power-up.

I think (and makes more sense) that PSU fan operation/speed is temp related and not load. This way it covers any ambient temp scenario. Mine does not start the fan even with 45~50% load, but with PSUtemp2 around 40C on summer with 30C ambient. Important factor is that I'm going case-less so the ambient(room) is what the system is getting for cooling (+1C maybe). I'm using the PSU from the start of this system Aug-18 2019 and still is like new inside. It does spin the fan on power-on for test and also has a button for user to test fan fuctionality.

I use iCue for the AIO control mostly. It has 3 pre-defined fan speed, and 2 pump speed profiles and I also added 2 more custom fan profiles, all to use in different scenarios and ambient conditions.

1601768625754.png

You can also set a custom profile for the PSU fan but you loose the stop-fan function so that is not an option for me.

1601768678491.png

1601768715153.png
See... if you go custom the minimum is 40% fan speed... no stop-fan.

--------------

ON topic....

I have seen sensor readings "grey out" on HWiNFO sensors window, but never the PSU ones. It was only the Mainboard related ones and that was due to excessive RAM OC or some crazy CPU PBO(boosting) settings I was trying months ago and last year. Some times the same sections wasnt even displayed, missing entirely, for the same reasons.

The ones in red box
Untitled22.png

Last edited:
..going case-less so the ambient(room) is what the system is getting for cooling..

I use iCue for the AIO control mostly. It has 3 pre-defined fan speed, and 2 pump speed profiles and I also added 2 more custom fan profiles, all to use in different scenarios and ambient conditions.
uuh god knows how i miss the days when i too could have entire pc scattered all over the desk. all the lil leds and fans like city that never sleeps.
you even mentioning that brought back so many good memories

icue screens are cool, if i had one of those aios id probably be tempted to use corsair software too.
is just its ever been like worst nitemare for me imagining one morning waking up to the coolant leaking n bricking whole rig.. brr.. too scary

i been in love with thermalright hsfs for years, the impeccable heatsinks, super quiet pretty fans.
my pc is like ~100% silent, sitting next to it i dont hear a thing, fans are within 800rpm at all times.
hdd on hot-plug, only use it once a year for backups

Well the potential leakage is something to consider, but I'm past that already. I have the AIO from Jun 2017 and I bet it will last another 3 years. Other than leak there is the possibility of the pump failure but I'm conviced that I treat the system very well and it will not break on me any time soon. Water temp is always under 33C (max on summer) and pump speed always on low speed: 2350rpm (high: 2800+rpm). Plus I have it installed the best possible way. Pump/block is the lowest point and radiator the highest.

Yeah I like quiet system too. Only audible when gaming, but I'm under headphones when do that so...
Fans about 800~1000 summer, 600~800 winter. Unless when gaming or testing stability.
I'm also using liquid metal for block/CPU contact. Scary compound, easily can be mistreated and damage hardware. Helps a lot my peace of mind that board/CPU is flat on the desk.

So, I've done some testing today for the PSU while I was away for a few hours. Running UnigineHeaven4.0 for 4 straight hours. Avg PSU load about 48~49% (360W) and apparently the unit does not care much about that kind of load. With ambient temp 28~29C around PC components the PSU peaked around 40C (avg 39C) and there was no PSU fan activity!

Untitled25.png

if you want to push it to the max, see what it is in terms of watts and psu rpm, you could just give cpu and gpu both some extreme tasks simultaneously, like LinX/linpack + furmark at same time, hardest kind of calculations at full load. you'd see results immediately. highest temps too btw. so better stay around to shut down the softwares when needed.

i'm just saying this corsair psu fans + hwinfo combo, im starting to have doubts if it works properly. my corsair section doesn't even have this value, only temps and electricity. yours is there, but always at 0, despite hours of unigine and hitting 400W+54C. if you could take it to 60% load and a few more degrees up it must start spinning, and if hwinfo will keep telling 0 rpm then we just need a software update here.

The temperature that matters is the Temp2. The one that maxed at 40.3C. The same Temp is shown by iCue. That’s the one controlling the fan. I’ve touched around the case of the unit and it was just warm. Nothing that indicates 50+C inside. Temp1 must be from a specific component of the unit that can sustain high(higher) temp. Much like the NVMe SSD that reports 2 Temps and the lower is the one to keep in mind, reported also by Sumsung’s(magician) software.

400W was just a brief peak or maybe a few. I’ve stop using furmark years ago. It’s just too abusing (electrically/thermally) to the GPU and all the power delivery system of the card. Next time I will load both CPU/GPU and of course I will be present...

Last edited:
i think these i-psus normally start slowly spinning up at around 40-60% load, depending on specific model.
Turns out you were right!
Load CB R20 multi + Unigine4.0 with avg load of 420W(55%) and a peak of 450W(60%) and the fan started without PSU temps getting high. Fan started instantly with that load. Kept temp relatively low at minimum rpm (~540).
Ambient 28~29C

Untitled26.png

The "funny" thing was that after quitting both benches the fan didnt stop but kept going on, same rpm, even though load was 90~100W and temps was really low (Temp1=37C, Temp2=29C).
Had to go in iCue and change fan profile from default to custom and back again to default, and then it stop.

Weird behaviour... and didnt know about it for over a year now using it. But I never load it more than 400W(peak).

about fan going on after load drop, i suppose would be in order to complain to corsair support. i dont like that behavior either though i bet they re just gonna say "it's not a bug, it's a feature", something along these lines. also there's probably still a timeout of a few minutes after which it would of stopped of its own anyway. maybe next time you just let it keep spinning and find out.

i need this rpm field for my psu too. Martin's most likely not reading this thread anymore. how do i get his attention? i'm sure he could fix it

Back