CPU Usage Issue

Wex

Hey HWINFO forum,

So I'm not sure when this started, and I dont post on forums often so ill try to make this easy to understand. So a few days ago I opened HWINFO(v6.26) after not using it for a while just to check CPU temps after gaming, and I noticed when idle, literally nothing open in the background, my CPU Usages fluctuate between the same percentages constantly (0.6%, 0.7%, 1.5%, 2.2%). Sometimes the cores will drop down to 0% but then it goes right back to fluctuating between those 4 percentages. Ive been trying to pin point whats causing it through Task Manager monitoring for a few days now, but nothing seems to be the culprit. I even tried a full system restore, deleteing everything off my pc, resetting overclock and downloaded HWINFO before anything else, only to find the same fluctuations happening. I have been using HWINFO v6.26 since I got this pc 2 years ago, and back then, when i was monitoring my pc all the time, the CPU Usages would drop to 0% when everything was closed and im not at the PC. I noticed this issue and thought maybe if I updated to a later version(v7.07) it would fix the problem but it still persist. Im at a loss here and could really use some help.

A video down below shows the fluctuations (Sorry for the god awful quality, hopefully you can see the usage numbers):

Specs:
Z390 AORUS ELITE MoBo
Intel i7 9700k Overclocked to 4.8MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super
16gb RAM
Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (Latest Version)
Avast Antivirus
COMODO Firewall

Even if your system is idle, there are dozens of tasks running in background that occasionally wake up and perform some work. If you check in advanced view of Task Manager you'll see those Processes and clicking on the CPU tab it will order them by usage so on top you see the most active ones.
So this is quite normal for Windows and the later Windows version, the more tasks are running and doing "some" work...

Even if your system is idle, there are dozens of tasks running in background that occasionally wake up and perform some work. If you check in advanced view of Task Manager you'll see those Processes and clicking on the CPU tab it will order them by usage so on top you see the most active ones.
So this is quite normal for Windows and the later Windows version, the more tasks are running and doing "some" work...
I do get that, but before, even with an older version of HWINFO & background apps open, my CPU usages were able to hit 0% when pc was in an idle state. Also, isnt it weird that all the cores fluctuate in between the same percentages with no different values even if it was related to background tasks? I know theres a few cores at 0% in the video that I uploaded, Had I recorded longer you'd see that those same percentage fluctuations I mentioned before, bounce between all core usages. Or is that still considered normal? I should note too, when I mentioned my usages were able to hit 0%, my idle temps were anywhere from 27c & 31c. Now theyre always 3-5 degrees hotter no matter what.

Last edited:
Hard to say what is considered normal. You might try to check without HWiNFO in Task Manager and each thread how it behaves.
If you think it's caused by HWiNFO, enable the "Profiling Time" column and check whether some of the sensors isn't taking excessive time to read, which you can then disable.

Back