Custom user sensors in HWiNFO

There is currently no such capability, one would have to write a tool pulling data from HWiNFO via Shared Memory and send them via serial port.

Excellent feature!

Is it possible to add a custom value into an existing sensor?
I want a custom value calculated from 2 real values from that sensor, but I don't want to create a custom sensor just for that.

Hello, I want to know "Performance Limit - Power" in %

The current units are "Yes" and "No", I'd want them 1 and 0 and an average of 0.563 would mean 56.3%

EDIT //

OK, tested and works as I wanted :)

Value formula:

"Performance Limit - Power" * 100

First I was expecting "Yes", "No" but but :)

Last edited:
Hey Martin,

This may be a long shot, but is there any chance you would be willing to add a "run program or 'execute terminal command' every x intervals" feature to hwinfo?

This would be super useful for these custom values. For example, I am using this as part of a couple of batch files that I am using to change EPP (Windows/Intel power management algorithm) on a handheld gaming PC. These batch files automatically adjust the registry key, but outside of running those two batch files, it never gets updated.

Which is ultimately fine for me, personally, but I've been sharing these files and tools with other people and trying to come up with a way to add this "EPP" value to RTSS automatically (even if it means replacing their entire OSD) for the less technically inclined amongst the community. It would be nice for those who don't wish to use the rest of my tools (there are plenty of alternatives) to be able to do so.

Alternatively...

Is there any chance you could add the currently defined EPP to one of the CPU sensors?

From the CPU side it is defined at MSR 0x774 and 0x772 (both with the same value) as a sliding value from 0-255; though Windows usually represents it as a percentage.

0x774 0x0000000 0x%EPPHex%000000
0x772 0x0000000 0x%EPPHex%000000

From the Windows Power Plan side it is defined at:

scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PERFEPP

If the answer of both of these is no, that's fine. Thanks for the excellent tool, and for your time.

Hey Martin,

This may be a long shot, but is there any chance you would be willing to add a "run program or 'execute terminal command' every x intervals" feature to hwinfo?

This would be super useful for these custom values. For example, I am using this as part of a couple of batch files that I am using to change EPP (Windows/Intel power management algorithm) on a handheld gaming PC. These batch files automatically adjust the registry key, but outside of running those two batch files, it never gets updated.

Which is ultimately fine for me, personally, but I've been sharing these files and tools with other people and trying to come up with a way to add this "EPP" value to RTSS automatically (even if it means replacing their entire OSD) for the less technically inclined amongst the community. It would be nice for those who don't wish to use the rest of my tools (there are plenty of alternatives) to be able to do so.

Alternatively...

Is there any chance you could add the currently defined EPP to one of the CPU sensors?

From the CPU side it is defined at MSR 0x774 and 0x772 (both with the same value) as a sliding value from 0-255; though Windows usually represents it as a percentage.

0x774 0x0000000 0x%EPPHex%000000
0x772 0x0000000 0x%EPPHex%000000

From the Windows Power Plan side it is defined at:

scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PERFEPP

If the answer of both of these is no, that's fine. Thanks for the excellent tool, and for your time.

You can setup an alarm to launch any command. If you set a level that will always be triggered you should achieve what you're looking for.
As for showing the HWP Energy_Performance_Preference value, I don't think this would be useful for permanent monitoring.

You can setup an alarm to launch any command. If you set a level that will always be triggered you should achieve what you're looking for.
As for showing the HWP Energy_Performance_Preference value, I don't think this would be useful for permanent monitoring.
Thanks for the tip about the alert, that is a great way to do exactly this - and the 'only notify every 30 seconds' is a good throttle on the number of .bats that have to run.

Now to just find the least-intensive way to do. It's too bad reg copy only works for entire keys and not individual values...

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be worthwhile to add as a global monitor thing. The only valuable thing is that for anyone using "Balanced" power plan, Windows will often shift EPP around automatically which is.. confusing to say the least. ;-)

Hi Martin,
Is it possible to use average values from sensors in hwinfo64 for calculation?

For example i want to calculate remaining battery time dependet on average (dis-) charge rate as shown in sensor window.

So i thought a calculation could look something like this:
-1*("Remaining Capicity"/avg("Charge Rate"))

Sadly its not working that way, it will always give me current charge rate as value for calculation.

Hi Martin,
Is it possible to use average values from sensors in hwinfo64 for calculation?

For example i want to calculate remaining battery time dependet on average (dis-) charge rate as shown in sensor window.

So i thought a calculation could look something like this:
-1*("Remaining Capicity"/avg("Charge Rate"))

Sadly its not working that way, it will always give me current charge rate as value for calculation.

This is currently not possible, only actual/current values can be used in the formula.

This is currently not possible, only actual/current values can be used in the formula.
okay i see.
Is there a way then to calculate with sensor values for a system tray icon? I attached a file that shows what i mean.

(In the circled spot i typed: 1/remaining capacity
Screenshot 2022-08-30 134513.png

These custom sensors are very useful! I achieved show in OSD all cpu core speed in Ghz unit ("Core X Clock" / 1000) and minimum / current value of same sensor at the same time. Thank you and greetings from brazil.

okay i see.
Is there a way then to calculate with sensor values for a system tray icon? I attached a file that shows what i mean.

(In the circled spot i typed: 1/remaining capacity
View attachment 8123

Know this is old, but....
You could achieve that if you could display custom values in the system tray. But it appears you cannot. Seems like it might be simple to implement.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Issue: I have 2 sensors named "CPU":
- "motherboard CPU sensor", measured in Celsius,
- "motherboard CPU fan sensor", measured in RPM.
When I create "Fan0" sensor with: Value -> REG_SZ -> "CPU", it retrieves Celsius value from "motherboard CPU sensor" and show its like RPM.

Issue appears: on hwinfo64 7.40-5000 and on hwinfo64 7.41-5005 Beta

Cause of issue: some motherboards having multiple sensors named equally.

1677831515490.png

Suggested solution: on resolving formula -> for equally named sensors -> prefer sensors with "value type" as in sensor name.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Issue: I have 2 sensors named "CPU":
- "motherboard CPU sensor", measured in Celsius,
- "motherboard CPU fan sensor", measured in RPM.
When I create "Fan0" sensor with: Value -> REG_SZ -> "CPU", it retrieves Celsius value from "motherboard CPU sensor" and show its like RPM.

Issue appears: on hwinfo64 7.40-5000 and on hwinfo64 7.41-5005 Beta

Cause of issue: some motherboards having multiple sensors named equally.

Suggested solution: on resolving formula -> for equally named sensors -> prefer sensors with "value type" as in sensor name.

You can rename any sensor, so for example rename the CPU fan sensor to "CPU fan" ;) That should help to uniquely address the items.

Hi, I'm struggling to create the Average of CCD 0 and CCD 1 clocks each for the Ryzen 7950x3d. Would someone be able to help me with this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-07 154333.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-07 154333.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 21
Your custom sensor node seems to be collapsed, click the arrow to left of its name to expand it.
As for the entry, you're missing an additional ClockX node. So: Custom -> Core Temps -> Clock0 -> ...

Last edited:
Your custom sensor node seems to be collapsed, click the arrow to left of its name to expand it.
As for the entry, you're missing an additional ClockX node. So: Custom -> Core Temps -> Clock0 -> ...

Hi, sorry about that, is this better? I've clicked the down arrows on sensors, custom, core temps, and on the right hand side you are seeing what I created for CCD 0 - Vchache.

So just double checking if I'm understanding,

1. Create a folder called custom (it wasn't there before, so I created it in the sensor folder).
2. Create a folder called core temps
3. Within that create a folder called CCD 0 - Vcache
4. CCD 1 - Non stacked

So you wanted me to put a folder called Clock 0 in core temps, and then put CCD 0 V Cache in the clock 0 folder?

Within clock zero what name and value should I be putting?

Then in CCD 0 what should I be putting in there?

Currently, I have in the CCD 0 folder, a Q word with the clocks, should I delete that?

I have the name (reg sz) for it which is ccd 0 - vcahce

Another reg sz for the unit, which is Mhz
And then should I be putting all the clocks as another reg sz, or a q word for (Clock 0, Clock 1, Clock 2)?

Thanks for clarifying!

Attachments

• custom.png
    custom.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
Rename the "CCD 0 - Vcache" key (you call "folder") to "Clock0"

Ah okay, done.

So that seems to have worked. However the new issues is that the average that is being created doesn't seem to be accurate. As you can see I'm geting between 4.2-4.7 ghz on that CCD (Cores 0 to 7), however the average being read is far lower (only 2.7).

Seems like I have put in the wrong clocks, however there are no other ones to put in right? I believe there is only effective clocks. For the CPU clocks, it's the core clocks right? Which we name Clock0, and in the value I named Core 0, Core 1, Core 2 etc.

Any idea what I have to fix?

Thanks for all the help btw.

Attachments

• custom 3.png
    custom 3.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 19
  • custom 2.png
    custom 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back