DIMM temperature Sensor question

disa7

HWiNFO64_l2WMnP4xT1.png
Hello. I have a F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW and according to HWINFO64 my DIMM Tempeprature sensor
shows 50-55*C when I play intensive games that involves both heavy GPU and CPU load.

I ran my memory on DOCP 3200 @ CL14 without any manual overclock and from what I've found online
these temps are quiete "high" and might cause stability issues. I don't know any stability issues so far
but the entire situation is pretty concerned. So I have a question. The "DIMM sensor" from HWINFO
is actually reading data from memory temp sensor or this particular memory set doesn't have any sensor
and HWINFO just "calculates" temperature based on some other parameters in the system? Because no other monitoring program able is ready DIMM temperatures except HWInfo.

These values are read from a thermal sensor located on the DIMM module.
50 C can't be that high.

50+C is ~normal for the default (XMP profile) operation. If you wanted to OC it to higher speed with higher voltage then cooling it further would be step 1 before anything else to avoid stability issues.

This is 2x16GB kit right? Meaning there is some space between the 2 modules. Imagine if you had all 4 dimms populated.
Maybe you could improve the case air flow a little.

ThaiphoonBurner software can read many DRAM specs. See if there is any temp limit reported there (I doubt it though).

Mine doesn't have temp sensors. If it had any, there would be a 3rd column next to "DRAM Components".
1620482215604.png

I wired up a thermal cable to my b die ram under the heat spreader right on a chip and piped it into corsair commander pro at 1.42v @ 4000mhz cl16 and it indeed did hit 54c running destiny 2 for 15 mins. And its a cool day so I imagine it gets much much hotter when ambient rises. From what I can tell that others are reporting is that you want to keep your high speed ram especially b-die under 40c.

FIY : Memory modules (especially overclocked Samsung B dies) can become unstable as it reaches higher temperatures. Well memory modules themselves does not generate much heat. It is likely due to your GPU (and/or CPU) dumping heat inside your case, thus changing ambient temperature around DIMM modules. (You can test this by running memory testing programs, memories don't get much hot even when stressed with those programs.)

You don't need to worry unless you experience instabilities in high memory temperature situations. However if you are experiencing memory instability while gaming, (sudden crash to desktop, or complete system crash) you can dial memory clock a bit lower or install a fan blowing at your memory modules. (If you're using an air cooler for your CPU, the moving air from CPU cooler is usually enough. But if you're using AIO or custom watercooling then minimal airflow over memory modules can be problematic.)

Back