Doubt on SATA version supported

Blackened

Hello there,

first of all let me congratulate you. I found in this tool exactly what i was searching for, a massive ton of information related to my notebook hardware.

My doubt is related to the SATA version. Below you´ll see a screenshot of the results:

1 - What does the red X means next to the HD sata drive?
2 - What is the SATA version supported for this notebook? Would it be SATA 2 for all ports? Or just for port 0?

[attachment=1179]

Many thanks, keep up the good work!

Attachments

• hwinfo.png
    hwinfo.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 7
The Red X means that some of the S.M.A.R.T. (health status) parameters have crossed their critical threshold, so the drive might be approaching a failure. I suggest you check the detailed information in the main window under Drives. Sometimes some not so important parameters can act like that and it still doesn't mean a problem.

As for the SATA capability, if you look at the top of the list you posted (SATA Host Controller), there's Gen2 3.0 Gbps, so I think this should be supported on all ports.

Interesting... i´ve followed your suggestion and below are the details under Drives:

[attachment=1180]

Although i´ve checked the part that says: SMART Feature, and it´s listed as "present, active", looks like 2 features are showing in red.

These SMART features showed here, they are like history? I mean, one of the two options below:
1 - HIstorically, this is how many times that error happened since i´ve been using the computer for years or:
2 - It shows how many times that error happened since i´ve turned the notebook on?

Many thanks sir!

Martin said:
The Red X means that some of the S.M.A.R.T. (health status) parameters have crossed their critical threshold, so the drive might be approaching a failure. I suggest you check the detailed information in the main window under Drives. Sometimes some not so important parameters can act like that and it still doesn't mean a problem.

As for the SATA capability, if you look at the top of the list you posted (SATA Host Controller), there's Gen2 3.0 Gbps, so I think this should be supported on all ports.

Attachments

• hwinfo.png
    hwinfo.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 8
Those values are kept all the time, so since manufacturing of the drive. But to explain the format used, it's the following:
aa / tt, Worst: ww (Data = xx)
aa = Actual value of the parameter
tt = Threshold value defined by manufacturer
ww = Worst value ever measured

So if the actual (or worst) value gets below the threshold it means there's a problem.
As for the temperature on your screenshot, I think this is not well defined and actually it should be an opposite threshold. But I'm not exactly sure how this should be for your drive. But I'd rather suggest not to worry about this parameter (even though it seems your drive was running at 61 C, which is quite much for a drive).
Regarding the Free Fall Protection, I'm not sure about this either, but it might indicate either one activation of the protection, or one serious fall accident.
Best would be to check manufacturer's documents (if there are any) whether they explain particular SMART values.

Back