"Drive Temperature 2" on Samsung 960 Evo

minglee

Hi,

the "Drive Temperature 2" reading on my 960 Evo is at about 62 C idle, 85+ C just from running a (relatively short) crystal disk mark benchmark, and can hit up to 90 C just from the GPU being pretty hot. Needless to say, those temperatures are pretty toasty and might be a cause for concern.

The "Drive Temperature 1" on the other hand never goes beyond 60 C, I mean I probably could make it go higher by running a random write benchmark for a long time, but generally it sits at like 39 C idle and 50-60 C under stress. Crystal Disk Info only shows the "Drive Temperature 1" reading.

Is the second sensor reading accurate? Is this a cause for concern? The 960 Evo is a pretty popular SSD, so it seems like people should've been able to figure out if it has some sort of temperature offset or something like that by now.

Thanks for any help. :)

I think this should be a valid temperature as it's read via a standardized interface. However there's no further detail provided in the standard about the meaning of this temperature.
It might be interesting to compare both values under different conditions whether there's perhaps some offset applied.
But the only way to know for sure would be to check with Samsung.

minglee said:
Hi,

the "Drive Temperature 2" reading on my 960 Evo is at about 62 C idle, 85+ C just from running a (relatively short) crystal disk mark benchmark, and can hit up to 90 C just from the GPU being pretty hot. Needless to say, those temperatures are pretty toasty and might be a cause for concern.

The "Drive Temperature 1" on the other hand never goes beyond 60 C, I mean I probably could make it go higher by running a random write benchmark for a long time, but generally it sits at like 39 C idle and 50-60 C under stress. Crystal Disk Info only shows the "Drive Temperature 1" reading.

Is the second sensor reading accurate? Is this a cause for concern? The 960 Evo is a pretty popular SSD, so it seems like people should've been able to figure out if it has some sort of temperature offset or something like that by now.

Okay so I have the 960 Pro M.2 and I also have the same problem. It has been bugging me.

Despite one of my motherboard temperatures reporting to be 80c everyday that i rma'd 6 months ago showing the same tempetures I believe the Drive Tempeture 2 is something you should not worry about. I am currently hitting an average of 62c and goes to 72c max. Compared to my drive 1 temp which is 40-48 this other temp is insane! I mean if nothing happens for a month your good right? I hope so. Even if the thing dies I can also rma it cuz I just got it. But the thing is that if it dies I lose all my stuff lmao. M.2 is new so we will have to wait until it goes mainstream. I should have got a ssd tbh. Oh well I got mixed with the write/read speeds it delivered. Just make sure you do weekly backups of your most important files on another drive.

minglee said:
Hi,

Drive Temperature 1 - for memory chip
Drive Temperature 2 - for memory controller (controller goes very hot under load)

I'm using heatsink on my 960 pro m.2 nvme and temps are good (no throttling)

[attachment=2573]

Attachments

• IMG_20171212_224030.jpg
    IMG_20171212_224030.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 48
zelante said:
Drive Temperature 2 - for memory controller (controller goes very hot under load)

Thanks, but how do you now that ? Are you sure about those locations ?

Martin said:
zelante said:

Absolutely not sure. This is my opinion  :shy:

Martin said:
zelante said:

I think I can give you more information about that since i have the 960 pro. According to this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/

There are 2 Sensors:
1. at the storage modules to probably check the health of those
2. one to controll throttling when it reaches beyond 70°C.

The storage module one never reaches (should not unless you have data corruption or a direct heat source inside your case) 70°C, max I had during a 4h burn test (database clone and optimization) was around 50-55°C.

Drive Temperature 2 can be the one that is over 70°C within minutes depending on the workload.
That has to be the throttling sensor since when I do benchmark and it reaches beyond 70°C it throttles instantly.

I would try to rename Sensor 2 to throttling sensor and 1 to health sensor. Let people test if it reflects the throttling of the drive according to the specifications. my own observations point to that.

Better step would be to get confirmation from samsung directly if possible.

Thanks for the information. That sounds reasonable, but I'd prefer to first wait for some official statement before renaming these values. Otherwise it might cause more confusion.

Petajoule said:
Martin said:
zelante said:

I think I can give you more information about that since i have the 960 pro. According to this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/

There are 2 Sensors:
1. at the storage modules to probably check the health of those
2. one to controll throttling when it reaches beyond 70°C.

The storage module one never reaches (should not unless you have data corruption or a direct heat source inside your case) 70°C, max I had during a 4h burn test (database clone and optimization) was around 50-55°C.

Drive Temperature 2 can be the one that is over 70°C within minutes depending on the workload.
That has to be the throttling sensor since when I do benchmark and it reaches beyond 70°C it throttles instantly.

I would try to rename Sensor 2 to throttling sensor and 1 to health sensor. Let people test if it reflects the throttling of the drive according to the specifications. my own observations point to that.

Better step would be to get confirmation from samsung directly if possible.

Basically you are saying the “Drive Two Tempeture” going beyond 70c is safe? You said it “Trottles” kind of scared me a bit... glad I’m not the only one with these temps.

So is there any further clarity on the issue? HW shows Drive Temperature 2 of my boot drive (512gb pm961) reaching 97C. I can't imagine that being acceptable operating temperature, either for the controller or the drive itself.

I'm sorry, we're still not sure about this as long as we don't get official information from the manufacturer.
Indeed, 97 C seems too high.

Back