DVDs not working after driver change

acatalano

After Installing HWiNFO64, on my Asus MB computer with Win7 Pro I got the dreaded BSOD, and 2 unoperable SATA DVD drives. I uninstalled HWinFO64 and removed it from the start menu. Although not using the portable version, I did not see it in the list of programs to be uninstalled in the program list, so I just deleted the program.

I read the thread about the problem with the Asmedia 106x SATA Controller driver, which indeed was installed on my machine, and subsequently followed the directions to switch to the Microsoft driver, rebooted the machine (actually had to reboot twice), but the DVD drives are still bricks! Since I have deleted the program, I do not have the debug file, however I am attaching a screenshot of the Device Manager page showing the ATA controller listing FWIW.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. Great first experience with HWiNFO64 BTW.

Regards,
acatalano

Attachments

• HWinfo.JPG
    HWinfo.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
I can't imagine how could HWiNFO (or other software) permanently damage a hardware device like a DVD drive. And in this case 2 devices from different vendors.
Those drive seem to be recognized properly by the system. Try to connect them to other SATA ports if that will help.

I do not mean to suggest or imply hardware damage. IMHO it's a software/driver problem. The thread in the forum suggests a very straightforward means of curing the problem, by replacing the Asmedia driver with the Microsoft driver. It just hasn't worked for me. I'm not sure if anyone can tell from the screenshot if the recommended action occurred correctly or not. All I know is the drives don't work. Get an I/O error. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Regards,
Anthony Catalano
www.boulderwx.com

I think the action worked correctly. The question is whether those drives went into I/O errors right after the first HWiNFO run+BSOD or after switching the driver.
Nevertheless, I sill propose to try to attach them to another SATA port (Intel one) and see if that changes something.

Martin said:
I think the action worked correctly. The question is whether those drives went into I/O errors right after the first HWiNFO run+BSOD or after switching the driver.
Nevertheless, I sill propose to try to attach them to another SATA port (Intel one) and see if that changes something.

The I/O errors were obvious once the program was installed and the BSOD occurred (Storage Management plug-in allows ejection of the DVD; after a minute or two it report as the I/O error). I am disappointed that making the driver mod to restore the Microsoft driver did not resolve the problem. I only have two remaining SATA ports on the MB, into which the DVDs are attached, so, there is nowhere to go unless I install a PCI-SATA card. I could tear old PATA DVD drives out of  computers to "resolve" the problem I suppose. I'm also bummed out because I haven't been able to go to a pre-problem restore point despite a great deal of effort (safe mode, reconfiguring the boot process etc.,). Last resort is restoring from a June full backup. Such a PITA.

Best Regards,
 a catalano
www.boulderwx.com

Can you try to temporarily swap the SATA ports so that the DVDs will be connected to other (Intel) ports, boot Windows and just check it they work? Then you can swap them back to original ports.

I'll be away for several weeks, so cannot try swapping. However every indications (LED flashing etc.,) suggests drives are OK. I think this is a driver issue that is unresolved.

Back