Effective clock CPU Intel

I have the effective clock of i3-13100F showing as zero for some reason. And even during the tests.

Attachments

• 789456123.png
    789456123.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 7
That could be due to Windows Defender messing up those counters:
Sorry that some part of that is in German.

Hmm, that's odd. I'm using Avast Free Antivirus. Or when using a third-party antivirus, can Windows Defender still have some influence?

Windows 11 Pro, 22H2, 22621.2861.

I attach a debug file while running the CPU test in OCCT.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    832.8 KB · Views: 1
Hmm, this is really weird.. According to the dump this shouldn't be the issue with Windows Defender as that behaves different.
Even under high load those counters show only very low usage. The same with C0 Residency which you go up.
I don't know why this happens, perhaps some virtualization..?

I checked two other computers.

1) i5-12400, Windows 10 22H2 19045.3448.
2) i5-3550, Windows 10 22H2 19045.3324.

Both have HWiNFO v7.68-5300 installed. Antivirus is also avast free antivirus.

On i5-12400 also no effective clock is shown. But on the old i5-3550 everything works.

Changing the CPU power management scheme does not solve the problem.
I attach both debug files, maybe it will help to find the source of the problem.

Let me know if you need any further information. I am ready to provide any possible help in solving this problem.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64_I5-3550.zip
    232.3 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64_i5-12400.zip
    515.7 KB · Views: 1
OK, I can see the problem.
There are certain counters used to measure the effective clock and C0 residency. These need to be enabled to work, so if they are disabled, HWiNFO tries to enable them.
But in this case something is preventing enabling these counters.
For i5-12400 these counters were enabled by default (probably by BIOS), hence it works here.
But in the other case they are not enabled and HWiNFO is blocked from doing so.
Maybe it's the Avast..

OK, I can see the problem.
There are certain counters used to measure the effective clock and C0 residency. These need to be enabled to work, so if they are disabled, HWiNFO tries to enable them.
But in this case something is preventing enabling these counters.
For i5-12400 these counters were enabled by default (probably by BIOS), hence it works here.
But in the other case they are not enabled and HWiNFO is blocked from doing so.
Maybe it's the Avast..
Yeah, looks like it's Avast.

I tried disabling its screens first and adding HWiNFO to trusted apps, but that didn't help.

Then I uninstalled Avast completely. After that HWiNFO started showing the effective clock parameter correctly.

I will write to Avast tech support to get them to help solve this problem. But I doubt that they will take this case.

You were right.

Tech support advised to temporarily disable "Avast HW virtualization" in the settings. Without this option HWiNFO was able to display the effective clock.

FYI, I was contacted by Avast developers regarding this problem and I provided them details necessary to unblock access to those counters.

Back