Effective Clocks Spikes v7.12-4580

Greetings,

Any idea what could be causing those ridiculously high spikes in Effective Clocks ?

Been using HWiNFO32 for months and never saw this happen before 'till this last weekend.<

Thanks !

Spikes.png

First off, why are you using HWiNFO32 on such a system? It's not the best choice for modern 64-bit systems. For such you should use HWiNFO64.
Such spikes might also be caused by collision with other monitoring tools, try to run without others.

Hello Martin,

HWiNFO64 would just stop working overnight, leaving the CPU fans uncontrolled due to the "Core Temperatures" sensor no longer being reported properly to Fan Control.

HWiNFO32 v7-12 has been perfectly reliable since October, I am not aware of any software changes or other monitoring tools except for updating AMD Adrenalin and RAID drivers last Friday.

Do you mind pointing me toward a way to figure out what is causing those anomalies ?

*EDIT*

I uninstalled AMD Link and opted out of AMD User Experience Program which respectively got installed and turned on without me noticing, will monitor and update in a few days if it cleared up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd recommend to try HWiNFO64 again and see if you observe such anomalous effective clocks or whether it becomes stuck again.

Thank you Martin,

User Experience Program data collection likely was interfering with HWiNFO:

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/amd-user-experience

Information We Collect

Through your participation in AMD’s User Experience Program we collect basic information like which language you prefer, to more complex things like the display resolution for your games, what graphics card (GPU) you have installed, or what games you’re playing.

We collect information about the features that you use and how you use them, like when you record gameplay with Radeon ReLive, overclock with Radeon WattMan or change a game's visual profile settings. In addition, we also record the following information:

• Device-specific information: Hardware components (CPU, GPU, memory, etc), software versions (operating system, display driver, supporting libraries versions), time zone/locale, and system language.
  • User interactions with Radeon Settings user interface: Features or options that have been used or modified by you.
  • Video display information: Monitor/screen size & resolution, VR headset information, video connection type, HDMI scaling, AMD FreeSync feature, other detailed graphics attributes and settings.
  • Hardware usage information: CPU & GPU frequency states, voltage, temperature, disk bandwidth, memory and disk percentage used, network data used.
  • Application usage: Application used and duration.
  • Device event information such as crashes.
  • Region selected in the operating system (i.e. country-level information).
  • Unique application numbers.

Hi,

have the same issue, hwinfo 64 v7.20, effective clocks are completely off, 27ghz :) lol, i wish.
i didnt opt-in in AMD User Experience Program, i think this is not the culprit

i have a 5600g, here is the screenshot

Attachments

• 27ghz.jpg
    27ghz.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 6
Its the same,
even worse, it used to be just core 0, now its core 0 and core 1

Attachments

• 27ghz-2.jpg
    27ghz-2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Martin,

I noticed the same trend while troubleshooting earlier, "Snapshot CPU Polling" had no correlation with the Effective Clock spikes, I had it enabled to start with.

"Snapshot CPU Polling" uses a totally different method to calculate the Effective Clock. So if both methods fail this seems to me like a CPU erratum. Perhaps a BIOS update might solve this.

Hi podlium,

Can you doublecheck if AEUP is disabled on your end and not running ?

I too would have sworn that I had already opted out then found out it was slyly enabled without my knowledge.

Thanks !

Hi podlium,

I too would have sworn that I had already opted out then found out it was slyly enabled without my knowledge.

Thanks !
Yes, its turned off in Adrenalin, and I don't see any services in task manager. Also uninstalled Link. And have the latest bios version that Martin mentioned

Hi podlium,

Thanks !

So did disabling AEUP solve the problem for you?

Yes, its turned off in Adrenalin, and I don't see any services in task manager. Also uninstalled Link. And have the latest bios version that Martin mentioned

Are you running any other monitoring or tweaking tools along with HWiNFO?

Are you running any other monitoring or tweaking tools along with HWiNFO?
No. Just HWiNFO.
But i think i found my problem. It is a weird one :D

When i was checking for AEUP in AMD Software Adrenalin, i noticed Photoshop got registered as a game?!
Spikes happened almost immediately after i opened Photoshop, so I removed it from Adrenalin and haven't seen any spikes yet, its been about an hour though, will post if i see some spikes again.

So did disabling AEUP solve the problem for you?
Hi Martin,

Yes, disabling AEUP did solve the Effective Frequency spikes that plagued HWiNFO reporting over the weekend, I haven't experienced further issues since I opted out of AEUP a couple days ago.

Thank you again for your swift support !

Back