IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

I am using a custom water loop and a 3800x. PBO off, RAM and IF overclock. Power Reporting Deviation is 30% when CB r20 is run. Stock has more performance than PBO on and scalar x1.

Last edited:
So I thought I would check to see if evertything looked ok with mine as I am a bit clueless when it comes to power draw etc, I generally leave the bios well alone.

Pic 1 is on idle, reposting over 200%, which i was concerned about to start with.

Pic 2 is during cinebench R20 which shows from 102%-104%

Asus Strix-f x570 mobo installed on an R5-3600

Anyone Help?

Attachments

• idle.jpg
    idle.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ciner20.jpg
    ciner20.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 17
So I thought I would check to see if evertything looked ok with mine as I am a bit clueless when it comes to power draw etc, I generally leave the bios well alone.

Pic 1 is on idle, reposting over 200%, which i was concerned about to start with.

Pic 2 is during cinebench R20 which shows from 102%-104%

Asus Strix-f x570 mobo installed on an R5-3600

Anyone Help?
Looks ok... The number is only relevant during a full load like cinebench R20, so there you have ~102% which is perfectly fine...

You do however have very high load temperatures for a 3600 at 86°C and your idle temps are ~50°C...

For a 3600 I would expect around 70-75°C max for a Cinebench R20 run...

What does your cooling look like??? Is this a prebuilt system?
Perhaps a picture of the internals of your pc?

Looks ok... The number is only relevant during a full load like cinebench R20, so there you have ~102% which is perfectly fine...

You do however have very high load temperatures for a 3600 at 86°C and your idle temps are ~50°C...

I was mnore concerned that

Stock cooler atm, no its a custom built, I know the temps are high, I need to play about with the fans a little.

I'm not impressed with the aric silver I have either, think i need a beefier cooler and some better paste.

I was concerned it might be under performing a lot.

Its custom built like all my PCs heat has been an issue since I upgraded, I think due to the stock cooler and the rubbish attic silver Im using its increased.

I want a beefier cooler better thermal paste.
Picture of case below, I’ve removed the lower fan already.

Attachments

• B792D89F-03AD-4F45-80F7-4CB89945E6DF.JPG
    B792D89F-03AD-4F45-80F7-4CB89945E6DF.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I've got a 3600 and I started with the stock Stealth cooler, I found out within minutes of installation that cooler is a worthless pile of junk! Running Folding@home (full load to all cores) it went into the high 80s & was thermal throttling! I knew looking at the cooler it wouldn't be much cop (it's tiny & is all Alu), but it is actually incapable of cooling the CPU properly! :mad:Note this is with stock Bios settings, and the power deviation for that is ~99% (as I posted previously), and no sign of over-volting.
As a temporary fix I lowered CPU PPT from default 'auto' (max 88w) to 65w, this dropped loaded temps to about the mid 70s. It also significantly cut power usage with only a modest lost in all core loaded clock speed of 3-4% (I don't know about single core clock boost). See here for more numbers on power, temps & clock speed effects vs CPU PPT.

Anyway, I have now finally ditched that POS cooler & have fitted my ancient (but still good) Thermalright Ultima90 on it (using the TR True bolt through kit which is available again atm), that has dropped CPU temp's by about 15+C! :)
Of course I could've gone for a bigger cooler, but I had the Ultima90 lying around since I retired my Core 2 gear from my 2nd rig, and I wanted to make good use of it, also I figured it would be good enough as I won't be overlocking the 3600, and it is :).

Last edited:
I was mnore concerned that

Stock cooler atm, no its a custom built, I know the temps are high, I need to play about with the fans a little.
I'm not impressed with the aric silver I have either, think i need a beefier cooler and some better paste.

I was concerned it might be under performing a lot.

Its custom built like all my PCs heat has been an issue since I upgraded, I think due to the stock cooler and the rubbish attic silver Im using its increased.

I want a beefier cooler better thermal paste.
Picture of case below, I’ve removed the lower fan already.

That is indeed your problem... Best thing to do is to upgrade that cooler asap!
That is a AMD Wraith Stealth I believe???

Noctua has some great coolers, and myself I'm a big 'fan' of the Bequiet Dark Rock coolers, but even a stock AMD Wraith Prism would do much better.
(Depending your budget, there should be a lot of AMD Wraith Prism coolers available secondhand...)

As for thermal compound, I now always use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Great stuff... Dropped my temperatures very significantly compared to the standard stuff...

I Use Thermally Grizzly too, does seem good :).
When I looked earlier this year, I couldn't find any Wraith's going for a sensible price! Could be better now of course.

Last edited:
gebhaard: What helped me was lowering the vcore (CPU core voltage). What's your vcore typically running at, idle and load? And is your heatsink clean and clear of dust, etc. Is your CPU fan spinning up to accommodate the increases in temperature? If you haven't already, you may want to create a fan curve in your motherboard software for your CPU fan(s), and probably even your case fans. I typically have my CPU fan ramp up along with the CPU temperatures, and have my case fan's curve set to the CPU as well, so that they come up slowly with CPU temperatures (use your heuristics to lag the fans behind herky/jerky CPU jumps in temperature) that way they aren't ramping up and down with every tiny change, but will change gradually with actual longer-term changes in temp.
The case fans were running at full speed, and the CPU fans too. The fan curves are set properly, so everything is maxed out, but at full load, it reaches 95°C.
My vcore is 1.45 at idle, 1.25 at full load.
I should lower the vcore in Ryzen Master?

Thanks.

That is indeed your problem... Best thing to do is to upgrade that cooler asap!
That is a AMD Wraith Stealth I believe???

Noctua has some great coolers, and myself I'm a big 'fan' of the Bequiet Dark Rock coolers, but even a stock AMD Wraith Prism would do much better.
(Depending your budget, there should be a lot of AMD Wraith Prism coolers available secondhand...)

As for thermal compound, I now always use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Great stuff... Dropped my temperatures very significantly compared to the standard stuff...

Ye been looking at Noctua and Be Quiet, as well as the Kraken z63 AIO, but really want a customer loop, but they are expensive, and I need to update my aging RX480 first, awaiting to hear about big Navi before making my decision .

Hello all ,
Interesting, I read on my R9 3950X on MSI MEG X570 Ace (MS-7C35) BIOS Version 1.92 AGESA Version Combo-AM4 1.0.0.5 this :
94.8 - 95.7 averaging on 94.9 under full load
everything on stock no manual OC applied everything in bios on automatic

So how do I understand this? is it OK or is there some cheating going on by msi ???

Ye been looking at Noctua and Be Quiet, as well as the Kraken z63 AIO, but really want a customer loop, but they are expensive, and I need to update my aging RX480 first, awaiting to hear about big Navi before making my decision .
Honestly, a custom loop is a complete waste of money for a 3600! Why ??? Just for looks ???
And it has more failure points than a good air cooler or an AIO...

I would just go for something like a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 or even cheaper and save your money for other upgrades like a good gaming card...

Hello all ,
Interesting, I read on my R9 3950X on MSI MEG X570 Ace (MS-7C35) BIOS Version 1.92 AGESA Version Combo-AM4 1.0.0.5 this :
94.8 - 95.7 averaging on 94.9 under full load
everything on stock no manual OC applied everything in bios on automatic

So how do I understand this? is it OK or is there some cheating going on by msi ???
It just means MSI is slightly underreporting the power under full load, so your 3950x will be allowed to draw a bit more power than stock...

Since this is just ~5% you should not worry, there are other cases where up to 50% of underreporting is happening...

It just means MSI is slightly underreporting the power under full load, so your 3950x will be allowed to draw a bit more power than stock...

Since this is just ~5% you should not worry, there are other cases where up to 50% of underreporting is happening...
Thank you !

Hi

Just registered and did Cinebench R20 test to give more feedbacks

It’s more of an "elitist" model problem
I voluntarily fled the purchase of high-end motherboards, often prone to numerous problems

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MB : Gigabyte X570 UD ( Rev 1.0, Bios F12f )

Got 101.3% at minimum while benching

Everything at stock voltage but memory @ 1.35V ( 1.36V sensor measured ) for my CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

Regards

Attachments

• Cinebench R20.png
    Cinebench R20.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
its seems my mobo has OLD VOLTAGE FREQ CURVES but the cpu is from the newer XT quality chip batch that use less power. so far setting a fixed 42 multiplier , + 0.05 vcore yealds better temps / clock / power consumption . edit. using this with no boost of any kind ATM. asus blows...TEST.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

Just registered and did Cinebench R20 test to give more feedbacks

It’s more of an "elitist" model problem
I voluntarily fled the purchase of high-end motherboards, often prone to numerous problems

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MB : Gigabyte X570 UD ( Rev 1.0, Bios F12f )

Got 101.3% at minimum while benching

Everything at stock voltage but memory @ 1.35V ( 1.36V sensor measured ) for my CMK32GX4M2B3000C15

Regards

Not really, since the most expensive boards aren't the ones doing this, its the cheaper ones particularly in the Asrock branding. $700 Formula and Godlike are in the clear.

Not really, since the most expensive boards aren't the ones doing this, its the cheaper ones particularly in the Asrock branding. $700 Formula and Godlike are in the clear.

Ok, thought it was the purpose of high end competitors

Back