IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

Ryzen 5700x
Asus ROG Strix B550 -F Gamig Wifi II
Gskill 2x 16gb 3600 CL16
PSU Seasonic Core GC-650 Gold
Only XMP turned on rest is stock/default in Bios
Reading still tread about this and asking is this fine with my pc numbers in HW with cb23 multicore test for Ryzen 5700X?Thanks

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2023.03.23 - 19.35.15.43.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2023.03.23 - 19.35.15.43.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 39
Ryzen 5700x
Asus ROG Strix B550 -F Gamig Wifi II
Gskill 2x 16gb 3600 CL16
PSU Seasonic Core GC-650 Gold
Only XMP turned on rest is stock/default in Bios
Reading still tread about this and asking is this fine with my pc numbers in HW with cb23 multicore test for Ryzen 5700X?Thanks
You have a PRD report of 94.2% during the CBR23 and a report of 76W(PPT).

76 : 0.942 = 80.67W (true CPU power consumption during that specific test)

Anything between 90-110% of PRD under 100% CPU load is fine.

76W and not 88W? Thanks for clarification. Because of a wrong assumption I was convinced that CPU PTT value in hwinfo is already recalculated to an actual real value.
Thanks.

UPDATE:

So decided to have a go with 'CPU VDD Full Scale Current' setting. And it turns out that after setting it to 145A in bios the PRD in hwinfo is now very close to 100% under full load in Cinebench and without oc.
Interestingly that has been already pointed out by DrhexUK in post #294 and by u/The-Stilt on reddit.
Very late reply, but might still be of use for similar MSI B450 Boards, as I observed different values for default+adjusted (206->165).

I moved a 5800x B0 to another system with a B450 Tomahawk Max II on E7C02AMS.H63 (last 1.2.0.3c available). While stock SC scores were ok, MT was lowish vs. on a Strix X470-F (CB20 57xx vs 60xx, CB23 147xx vs >155xx), or most online figures. On the Tomahawk, CB20 power deviation reported ~124-125%, and TDC was always the limiting factor stuck at 100% 95A, instead of PPT (that only raised to 136W reported, bellow max stock 142W, EDC at most 131A).

johnydlr, one can check VDD Full Scale Current's default just by setting Auto and then pressing numpad -/+, so the next value that shows will be adjusted relative to the board's default (changing to 205/207 from base 206 on mine). A few other settings behave the same way, then reset if you type Auto.

It seems VDD Full Scale Current adjustment vs default is proportional to the PRD results in this system. This mb's def. was 206A, so (100x206)/125=164.8 and by adjusting it to 165A, immediately moved PRD to 99.X% during CB20. Scores raised to 60xx (also upper 154xx on CB23), both finally within margin of what I'd expect stock.
CPU Tctl/Tdie took a big hit on CB20, from 73ºC to 85ºC max, all the while raising max all core ~4368MHz to ~4.508, then slowly coming down to ~4479 past 80ºC. Most can be blamed on an ancient TRUE Blk Rev.A + 2xNF-A12X25 over the 8C CCD (...and a ~8 y.o. tube of CFIII -- went out of newer paste while mounting). IIRC, previously on the other mb+Galahad 360+fresher case, slightly higher boost figures were under 76ºC. So, I'll have to CO'it while taming MT a bit.

(Btw, an all core -5 CO will lower reported PRD from ~125 to 122% vs stock), so maybe it's better to disable it prior to adjusting PRD)

Last edited:
5800x
Mag B550 Tomahawk
Latest Bios

All but core 2 at -30, core 2 at -20.
PPT 130
TDC 90
EDC 130

Tested with OCCT Large Data Set, Extreme, variable, AVX2. Starts at core 0 with core swap and cycling every 5s.

Attached is hwinfo while making this post.

lmk if need more information.

Attachments

• Info.PNG
    Info.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 17
See first post, maybe try instead with a stable all core load like CB20 NT, hwinfo polling at or less than 1000ms, and then observe PRD. Your heavy single core test could be showing higher deviation than in a more ideal testing scenario.

Last edited:
BIOS: reset, clear CMOS
XMP enabled
PBO: disabled
Test: OCCT CPU Test, processor at 100%, CPU Package Power ~145W, CPU Core Voltage ~1.32v
MB: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
CPU: 5900X
Memory: 3600 speed with XMP on

My Power Reporting Deviation is averaging 109.2% with a 30 min test, from what I have read my chip thinks it is drawing more power than it actually is. MB manufacturers want to cheat the other way, since above 100% hurts performance. So I am an "odd duck". I understand the metric says 90 to 110 is normal, but I am so close to the edge I am wondering. And I learned a long time ago that when engineers quote round numbers it might be a guess....lol

Questions:
-1: did I do test correctly?
-2: I have intermittent WHEA 18, BSOD failures only when gaming (stock BIOS, only XMP on) and am grasping for anything to figure it out. Could underreporting power draw to CPU cause it to go to low and cause a BSOD?

BIOS: reset, clear CMOS
XMP enabled
PBO: disabled
Test: OCCT CPU Test, processor at 100%, CPU Package Power ~145W, CPU Core Voltage ~1.32v
MB: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
CPU: 5900X
Memory: 3600 speed with XMP on

My Power Reporting Deviation is averaging 109.2% with a 30 min test, from what I have read my chip thinks it is drawing more power than it actually is. MB manufacturers want to cheat the other way, since above 100% hurts performance. So I am an "odd duck". I understand the metric says 90 to 110 is normal, but I am so close to the edge I am wondering. And I learned a long time ago that when engineers quote round numbers it might be a guess....lol

Questions:
-1: did I do test correctly?
-2: I have intermittent WHEA 18, BSOD failures only when gaming (stock BIOS, only XMP on) and am grasping for anything to figure it out. Could underreporting power draw to CPU cause it to go to low and cause a BSOD?
Switched MB's to MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk, now this value is 113.6%
Also switched memory on previous MB, still had BSOD. New memory is G.SKill Samsung B-die 16-16-16-36

Last edited:
My Power Reporting Deviation is reporting under 100% at idle. Is this typical? It was reporting over 100% last time I looked, and I haven't changed anything.
1687734358280.png

Hi, i have some issues with my new 5800x3d, during gaming i have strange reboot and in event viewer i have id error 18 whea-logger.
EDIT:
BTW strange things were that reboots most likely occur with non-cpu intensive gaming and more often during ALT + TAB or WIN key pressed.
Errore hardware irreversibile.

Segnalato dal componente: core processore
Origine errore: Machine Check Exception
Tipo errore: Cache Hierarchy Error
ID APIC processore: 1

My config:
CPU: AMD 5800X3D
Asrock b450 pro4 with latest chipset driver installed
Bios P8.02 (PBO disabled) AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.8
24 GB RAM @3200 (tried lowering to 16GB at 2400, without any changes)
AMD RADEON 6950XT on latest drivers 23.7.2
PSU 1000W ASUS TUF GAMING

I'm writing here since i noticed something really weird, as you can see in image attached: 396% of maximum Power Reporting Deviation
Reading better the main post of this thread, these values are pointless in minimum-maximum values.

What you suggest to do? Is my motherboard trash?
EDIT:
what I have tried:
- Reset bios settings. Lowering PBO curve (finally i have ended disabling it completely, with no lucks, but fewer reboot)
- Use only 2 sticks of ram at 2400 mhz
- Disable frequency boost
- Enable medium current usage idle
- Silent BIOS for 6950xt
- Uninstall RGB software, and MSI Afterburner

LAST EDIT:
I changed the motherboard with a MSI B550 and had no issues anymore. So yes, my motherboard is trash.
Don't trust Asrock, that motherboard does not support a a 5800X3D.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 122317.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 122317.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 143821.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 143821.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So i experimented bit with my MSI B550 R5 5600x. And i would pretty much always get 117% when running Fullload. Tried Prime (smallest), OCCT Small and different Cinebench versions.
Only settings i changed are enabling Smart Acesss Memory and XMP everything else is on Stock. Bios is up to date. Should i be concerned?

*Edit* So i have tested now with Y-Cruncher and i get it pretty much to 109% - 110% which i guess is normal. I'd say it strongly depends on the Tools using since 100% CPU-Stress doesn't seem to always actually mean "Full-Load". Though even with my High End Cooler i would get like 80° there which was the first time i saw that kind of temperatures (usually i run Prime with under 70°).

Last edited:
HI All.

Just started using HWiNFO to monotor voltages as have has some random reboots which i think is power relatad. Are these readings fine while gaming.

1699343937347.png

Hi,

I'm running Ryzen 5600, MSI B450-A PRO Max and 16 GB 3200CL16 XMP RAM, I applied "optimized default settings in BIOS" and enabled XMP.
When I run Cinebench R23 multicore and other full load tests HWiNFO always shows around 128% Power Reporting Deviation and CPU clock stabilizes around 4.1 GHz.

Is the Power Reporting Deviation correct? Is it negatively affecting the performance of my CPU? Can I fix it?

Untitled.png

Hi,

I'm running Ryzen 5600, MSI B450-A PRO Max and 16 GB 3200CL16 XMP RAM, I applied "optimized default settings in BIOS" and enabled XMP.
When I run Cinebench R23 multicore and other full load tests HWiNFO always shows around 128% Power Reporting Deviation and CPU clock stabilizes around 4.1 GHz.

Is the Power Reporting Deviation correct? Is it negatively affecting the performance of my CPU? Can I fix it?

View attachment 10895
Do you see the "CPU PPT" value?
76W is the normal nonPBO power budget for 5600/5600X
But...
Since your PowerReportingDeviation is at 128% means that the true power consumption of the CPU is:
76 / 1.28 = 59.3W
So the board for some reason under-runs the CPU at max load on this specific benchmark.

Have the latest BIOS for the board?

You could enable PBO from BIOS and see how it behaves but first make sure you have
1. latest BIOS version
2. chipset drivers (straight from AMD website)
3. windows updates

What windows power plan are you using?

Do you see the "CPU PPT" value?
76W is the normal nonPBO power budget for 5600/5600X
But...
Since your PowerReportingDeviation is at 128% means that the true power consumption of the CPU is:
76 / 1.28 = 59.3W
So the board for some reason under-runs the CPU at max load on this specific benchmark.

Have the latest BIOS for the board?

You could enable PBO from BIOS and see how it behaves but first make sure you have
1. latest BIOS version
2. chipset drivers (straight from AMD website)
3. windows updates

What windows power plan are you using?
I have the latest BIOS and Windows updates, I updated the chipset drivers and tried with High Performance and Ultimate Performance power plans and I had again 128-129% Power Reporting Deviation and around 4.1 GHz during R23.

What should I try next? I didn't get what exactly you mean with "You could enable PBO from BIOS and see how it behaves".

First of all let me try to explain why this (high PowerReportingDev) is happening.
In a pefrect world, boards should read what the CPU power current (EDC) is at any time and report it back to CPU as feedback so the CPU can regulate itself properly.
For a reason unknown to me, some boards are not doing it correctly.
I've seen boards like yours that overstate current with underperforming results, and boards that understate it with over performing results and if its too much with potential "overheating" the CPU close to its limits (not to critical limits though). Ive seen boards doing different things with different CPUs on. Mine for example when I had an R5 3600 on, PRD was around 90% when CB-R23 run. Now with 5900X, PRD is around 102%.

Some boards (cant remember if yours have it, mine does not and its an X570 one) have some very special settings that you can adjust (offset) what current the board is reporting back to CPU and thus try to bring RPD (PowerReportingDeviation) close to 100%

But there is also another less precise option that can be done.
By adjusting power/current limits on CPU PBO settings.

PBO: Precision Boost Overdrive
If you enabled it in BIOS it will expand PB (precision boost) limits from default.
Your CPU has default
PPT: 76W (Watt as power consumption)
TDC: 60A (Ampere as power current)
EDC: 90A (Ampere as power current)

By default the PBO is on auto which means that is in fact disabled.
If you just set PBO to "Enabled" in BIOS, the board will set the above limits so high that the CPU can never reach but will try to, to a point that CPU temperature allows (90C is the max operating limit of all 5000series CPUs). So it will try to operate at max level as its internal silicon manager allows (inside CPU)

I prefer to set PBO limits manually by setting PBO to advanced mode

A good start for your CPU is
PPT: 95W
TDC: 65A
EDC: 95A

For example if CPU does hit the 95W limit and PRD is 125% then the true power of the CPU will be
95 / 1.25 = 76W
76Watt is very normal for this CPU at max all core load and if temperature stays around 75-80C (10-15C away from max operating limit of 90C) or even lower its golden and you'll most likely see clocks increasing.
You can even set a max operating CPU temperature to your liking on top of the above PBO limits to stay on the safe side of things. The CPU will always try to keep temperature limit satisfied first before try reaching any PBO limit. Unless a PBO limit is reached first (your current case).

I have a 5900X and by default the CPU has
PPT: 142W
TDC: 95A
EDC: 140A
Temp: 90C

...and I have it all on manual to
PPT: 150W
TDC: 100A
Temp: 78C

On CB-R23 I get a PRD value of 102~103% which mean the CPU power is around 146~147W, but I have a big AIO water cooler and can maintain temperature around 60C on all core load.

If you feel comfortable trying such a thing like setting PBO manually let me know. I will try to guide you through the BIOS settings.

Last edited:
First of all let me try to explain why this (high PowerReportingDev) is happening.
In a pefrect world, boards should read what the CPU power current (EDC) is at any time and report it back to CPU as feedback so the CPU can regulate itself properly.
For a reason unknown to me, some boards are not doing it correctly.
I've seen boards like yours that overstate current with underperforming results, and boards that understate it with over performing results and if its too much with potential "overheating" the CPU close to its limits (not to critical limits though). Ive seen boards doing different things with different CPUs on. Mine for example when I had an R5 3600 on, PRD was around 90% when CB-R23 run. Now with 5900X, PRD is around 102%.

Some boards (cant remember if yours have it, mine does not and its an X570 one) have some very special settings that you can adjust (offset) what current the board is reporting back to CPU and thus try to bring RPD (PowerReportingDeviation) close to 100%

But there is also another less precise option that can be done.
By adjusting power/current limits on CPU PBO settings.

PBO: Precision Boost Overdrive
If you enabled it in BIOS it will expand PB (precision boost) limits from default.
Your CPU has default
PPT: 76W (Watt as power consumption)
TDC: 60A (Ampere as power current)
EDC: 90A (Ampere as power current)

By default the PBO is on auto which means that is in fact disabled.
If you just set PBO to "Enabled" in BIOS, the board will set the above limits so high that the CPU can never reach but will try to, to a point that CPU temperature allows (90C is the max operating limit of all 5000series CPUs). So it will try to operate at max level as its internal silicon manager allows (inside CPU)

I prefer to set PBO limits manually by setting PBO to advanced mode

A good start for your CPU is
PPT: 95W
TDC: 65A
EDC: 95A

For example if CPU does hit the 95W limit and PRD is 125% then the true power of the CPU will be
95 / 1.25 = 76W
76Watt is very normal for this CPU at max all core load and if temperature stays around 75-80C (10-15C away from max operating limit of 90C) or even lower its golden and you'll most likely see clocks increasing.
You can even set a max operating CPU temperature to your liking on top of the above PBO limits to stay on the safe side of things. The CPU will always try to keep temperature limit satisfied first before try reaching any PBO limit. Unless a PBO limit is reached first (your current case).

I have a 5900X and by default the CPU has
PPT: 142W
TDC: 95A
Temp: 90C

...and I have it all on manual to
PPT: 150W
TDC: 100A
Temp: 78C

On CB-R23 I get a PRD value of 102~103% which mean the CPU power is around 146~147W, but I have a big AIO water cooler and can maintain temperature around 60C on all core load.

If you feel comfortable trying such a thing like setting PBO manually let me know. I will try to guide you through the BIOS settings.
I went in BIOS and under OC/Advanced/AMD Overclocking I enabled PBO Manual and set PPT 97W (76x128%), TDC 65A, EDC 95A, Temp Limit 80C (like you suggested) and tested with R23 multicore again.

Clocks settled at 4.4 GHz and the score was 10 940, while PPT and EDC were both at 100% most of the time, temp peaked at 70 C (cooler is Deepcool AG400). PRD this time was around 126% which means 97/126%=77W if accurate.

Does this seem accurate to a stock behavior? Should I do anything else or is it fine to leave it like this?

1710601843471.png

Personally I would be ok with the result.
Seems like the CPU is working within its normal conditions.

If you're happy with the results of frequency and temperature then go ahead and leave it that way.
Have you test it under gaming or any other tasks you usually run? ...other than banchmarks I mean.

Back