IMPORTANT Explaining the AMD Ryzen "Power Reporting Deviation" -metric in HWiNFO

AMD 3950X on an Asus Crosshair Hero VIII X570.

Using all core Cinebench R20 the reading goes down to 92%, Guessing this is bad and the mobo is doing something funky ?

PBO on, No manual overclocking.

I think, from what I understand is that while idle or light use it OVER reports to save performance and power so I think you are good. The problem is below 100% under heavy load because it tells to cpu to push voltages for more performance thus more heat and less life span.
Oh okay, I just wanted to know if it was good value! But if it's only about whether the ark is under 100%, it's fine. Thanks!

Hi guys, well i'am a bit confused with these metric on my Asus TUF x570... (without CB R20 run)

View attachment 4649
and then when CB R20 it's running View attachment 4650
I would say you are loosing performance but your cinebench is damn high! I get mixed thoughts that I can't process. Your temps are fine, your performance is great but yet you suppose to get under performing results. Someone more expert I would like a comment on this situation :)

I would say you are loosing performance but your cinebench is damn high! I get mixed thoughts that I can't process. Your temps are fine, your performance is great but yet you suppose to get under performing results. Someone more expert I would like a comment on this situation :)
No, I don't suppose my performance is inferior! They're fine! I can't get any better! Then I've got Edge (Chromium) running, background tasks too so that's normal ! I just wanted to see if my Power Reporting Derivation value is good! :)

Idle does not matter right only at full load ? cos it reports around 80% around in full load at idle its more around 110% 116% that is with a 3900x

Hello. I wanted to check my Crosshair 7 wifi with ryzen 2700 but I dont have the " Power Reporting Deviation " tab. I see only "CPU EDC Limit" is there something wrong?

This update released right when im troubleshooting my cpu not boosting during games and it shows that my power reporting is at 137% so my ryzen 5 3600x only uses 77 watts instead of the rated 95, so I think thats what may be causing my boost clock issues anyone have a solution?

On the Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming mini-ITX, the power deviation averages 97%.
BIOS 1407 AGESA 1.0.0.4
I run a R5 3600 and the Infinity Fabric at 1800 Hz to match the speed of my G.Skill 3600 CL15.

Stock cooler and embarrassing 3975 Hz max at 72C CPU temp on a "pre cooled" (all fans on max) CPU.

Interestingly the deviation rises as the CPU temp increases. Running the test for a few minutes the CPU reaches 85C and the deviation settles at 95%

Asus_X570-I_R5_3600_1800_IF_Clock.jpg

Last edited:
Version 6.27-4190 Beta has been released that should fix monitoring of Power Reporting Deviation on AMD 1st/2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.
Please update to this build.

Hey guys,
Adding my own results FYI, with latest build (4190)
Ryzen 3950X, Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (8), Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT as cooler.

Running Cinebench, Power Reporting Deviation dropped at its lowest to 92%. HWInfo also reports an average of 99.9%.
My BIOS is up to date, with the latest version of Rog Crosshair Hero 8 bios dated at march 2020.

I'd also like to comment temperatures about 3900X and 3950X. While I'd agree they are harder to keep cool, my AIO cooler actually gives great results. I have a semi-idle temp (having ~15 tabs in chrome + a few apps like LoL client, battle.net, and steam running simultaneously) of 39.5C.
After running Cinebench a few times, it only rose of ~1C : (above temp is my corsair AIO temp)
TZFP64p.png

If it can help, I set it up behind my intake fans (3 fans), and I also have 3 more fan (2x140 at top and 1x 120 at rear) as exhaust

can someone help me to understand this numbers, if i have to worry about the average and maximum numbers?

First, you need to set your CPU to stock settings, you can leave XMP for memory. Then you need to put CPU under load using Cinebench R20 and check the deviation values. Anything within 90-110% is fine.

After looking into this issue it seems to have been blown way out of proportion. Some extra volts for a mobo manufacturer to get a couple of extra percentage points is not going to kill your CPU. It is not in the mobo manufacturers best interest to kill your CPU. So, In a nutshell, someone made a big fuss about basically nothing and now people are worried about their CPUs burning up. Don’t worry about it, your CPU will likely only die prematurely if you are overclocking too hard. Enjoy your awesome Ryzen CPU and don’t worry about all the bluster over mobo manufacturers juicing your CPU a little.

Back