external harddrive constently flashes

Tomlintm

i have been noticing that when HWINFO is running that my external hdd light constently flashes and i notices also as i monitor the temp that its around 50C constently also but when its not flashing its cooler so how do i fix this and still keep track of the temp of the external drive

I'm afraid, this is not possible. The firmware of the drive works this way - if someone asks the drive for temperature, it wakes it from sleep and returns the value.

Martin said:
I'm afraid, this is not possible. The firmware of the drive works this way - if someone asks the drive for temperature, it wakes it from sleep and returns the value.

oh ok just making sure can you tell me one thing whats the normal temp of a external drive get before its bad just curious

That depends on each drive, you'll need to check the vendor datasheet/specification.

Martin said:
That depends on each drive, you'll need to check the vendor datasheet/specification.

thank you martin you are very helpful :D and btw i love HWINFO its a amazing software :D

Tomlintm said:
i have been noticing that when HWINFO is running that my external hdd light constently flashes and i notices also as i monitor the temp that its around 50C constently also but when its not flashing its cooler so how do i fix this and still keep track of the temp of the external drive

Since HWiNFO must poll or request the temperature data from the drive, it does that once each "Scan Interval", which is 2000ms (2 seconds) by default. The drive responds to the request, which causes the activity light to flash. No other way exists for HWiNFO to get the temperature data besides actively getting it from the drive.

Two partial work around's you could try are:

Increase the scan interval in the main Configure screen from the Sensor display, so HWiNFO does not read the drive as much. Increasing the interval will affect all the other readings, since there is only one scan interval setting.

You could also turn off the monitoring for that drive in the Configure - Layout screen. You could then only activate monitoring of the HDD when you really needed it.

I use SSDs mainly, but have a HDD for secondary storage, and felt that the constant polling of the HDD was unnecessary, so I disable monitoring of the HDD most of the time.

Martin, BTW as long as we are talking about storage drives, I see the new HIPM and DIPM displays for SSDs in the main screen of v4.23-1981. On my ASR Z87 board, using IRST version 12 that has an option to enable link power management, along with other Haswell power options, I see HIPM and DIPM supported on my SSDs, and DIPM enabled.

I am not seeing HIPM enabled, but I am not certain if I should. I have the Windows power plan set to never turn off drives, which is probably why I'm not seeing HIPM enabled. I'll test that and let you know. If you have questions let me know.

Unfortunately, currently I can only detect the presence of HIPM feature (if it's supported or not), but I don't know how to determine if it's enabled.

Back