Fan icon in Systray

PaulB

Hi,
I recently installed hwinfo32 on my Dell Precision M65.
It's working great but I have one problem.
I have hwinfo set to start automatically and to start sensors automatically and show them (Dell EC Cpu and Gpu and the FX 350M GPU temp) in the Systray.
However I can't get the Fan to show automatically in the systray.
The Fan icon won't show in the Sensors list under Dell EC unless I do something to cause either the CPU or GPU, which I am both monitoring with Custom Auto in the Fan Contro,l to raise a temp to the 1st fan speed threshhold in my list. For example if I open Display Properties and choose Screen Saver and the 3D Flowerbox and do a Preview for approx 20 - 30 second to raise the GPU temp to 50c (which will trigger the Fan to come on at 2400rpm then at that point the Fan icon will become visible in the Dell EC sensor section and I can then right-click it tell it to Add to Systray.
Is there a way to have the Fan Status automatically be added to the systray like the Dell EC Cpu and Gpu and the FX 350M GPU temp sensors are?

P.S. I'm adding an attachment of my Fan control settings.
Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• Fan-settings.jpg
    Fan-settings.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm afraid there's no solution for this. The reason is that when your fan is not spinning, it reports 0 RPM, which is the same behavior as a fan that is not present. So I have no way how to determine if a fan is present (and not spinning) or not present at all. Thus to avoid showing all possible fans as 0 RPM, a fan appears in the list only after I notice that it's present (> 0 RPM) and after that it stays there.

Martin said:
I'm afraid there's no solution for this. The reason is that when your fan is not spinning, it reports 0 RPM, which is the same behavior as a fan that is not present. So I have no way how to determine if a fan is present (and not spinning) or not present at all. Thus to avoid showing all possible fans as 0 RPM, a fan appears in the list only after I notice that it's present (> 0 RPM) and after that it stays there.

May I make a suggestion?
I don't know how he implemented it, but the program I9kfanGUI has similar fatures to hwinfo an in that guys program he has an option to show the fan in the systray, regarless of what the fan speed is.
But I stopped using that program because, while it works, it has more (what's the term I want), of a performance hit. For instance, in a game I play, Evochron Mercenary - 3D space sim, every couply of seconds (I guess when he's reading the sensors or something in the process), it cause a minor but noticeable (to me) stutter for a fraction of a heartbeat.
hwinfo is apparently better designed as far as it's cpu usage and background perforance since I don't notice an impact in the game.
But if he can implement the option to have the fan status show in the systray I don't see whay you couldn't also - if you could figure out how he did it.

And that's why I'm using this (and tried his) because when I didn't have them apparently the Dell default fan settings (not available tot he user) would not turn on the fan at low enough temperatures in the game and it eventually fried the Fx350M or the Vram and I had to buy a used (good) motherboard to replace the old one.

It's somewhat of a minor issue if you can't implement the Fan Status in the Systray (regardless of fan speed) since I can force it by temporarily running somethgin 3D to heat uop the GPU or CPU beyond my 1st threshholds of 50c or 55c respectively causing the fan to turn on and become visible in the Sensor list and then Add to Systray. But it would sure be wonderful if you could figure a way do it.
I guess I could set it so there would be no OFF threshhold and hav the fan run at Slow (2400rpm) even though the temps don't need it to be running but I hate to put wear and tear on the fan unnecessarily.

Thanks,
Paul

Back