Feature request: Independent settings for logging: log interval, and which sensors get logged

Lacretia

Hi,

I like that HWiNFO updates its Sensors display frequently (every 2000 milliseconds) and displays so much data. But I'd like to have independent settings for the data logging function, so that I can (for example) log the S.M.A.R.T. data of my ssd drive every two hours (in csv format or some other format that can be easily imported into or linked by a spreadsheet or database for analysis). I tried launching a second instance of HWiNFO (by running a copy of HWiNFO stored in a second folder) planning to give it different settings of scan interval and which sensors to display, so that the second instance would log just the desired data and log it every two hours, but it apparently detected that an instance was already running and didn't run a second instance. Thanks for considering this.

You can adjust the polling frequency in sensor settings, where you can also specify a custom cycle for S.M.A.R.T. using the "Disk S.M.A.R.T. every xxx cycles" option.
So if your current polling rate is 2 seconds and you want to poll S.M.A.R.T. every 2 hours, enter 2*60*60 / 2 = 3600 there.

For several reasons, I don't think that suggestion satisfies my request:
1. To test your suggestion, I set "Disk S.M.A.R.T. every" to 20, to see whether data would be appended to the log file every 40 seconds. But it continued to append every 2 seconds. "Polling rate" is not the same as logging rate.
2. It's not a general solution. I mentioned SMART only as an example; I also want some other data to be logged every two hours.
3. I don't want to reduce the frequency of the display updates; as I wrote above, I like that the Sensors display is updated every 2 seconds. It would be nice if the display and the log have independent settings, so the display updates can continue to be frequent & comprehensive, and the logfile appends can be less frequent & focused on the desired subset of data.

Can you make the log interval independent of the polling intervals? Can you make the settings of which sensors to log independent of the settings of which sensors to display? In other words, add a new tab of Config settings, that contains Yes or No for each sensor (similar to the Layout tab) and also contains a setting for the log interval.

Back