Frequency Fluctuations or a Bug?

Bafford

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding the sensor readings that I am getting with HWiNFO64. I am not overclocking or anything, but I like to monitor what's going on inside my pc. Up until recently, I was using a version 5.86-3480 of HWiNFO64 - mostly to monitor rail voltages etc. But some time ago, I noticed a very strange reading from my core clocks and bus clock. They can be seen on screen #1. My CPU is a i7 4790 non K - so, I was quite shocked to see frequencies over 4.000 MHz. I got similar reading only once after that, and then I decided to update HWiNFO64 to the (then) recent version of 6.20-4030 which I have been using until now. So, the fluctuations aren't as big (as seen in pic #2) - but they are still there. Also, I got a reading of Max Core Frequency 4100 Mhz from HW Monitor - but I've heard that fluctuations are quite common with this program.

So my question is: Is there something wrong with my PC or is it just a reading issue? I must add that those fluctuations happen mostly when I am not doing any CPU-intensive tasks, such as browsing web, watching a video, etc.

I'll add my specs, just in case:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B85-HD3
CPU: i7 4790
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1050 Ti Windforce 4GB OC
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.png
    2.png
    223.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes, small fluctuations are quite normal. This is because some older (excuse this term, but in this case it means pre-Skylake family) CPUs do not offer more precise methods for measuring actual CPU clock.
In such case it can happen that the system sometimes interrupts HWiNFO which can cause such fluctuations. There's no need to worry about this.

Back