Hang during startup

Latest release (non-beta) and previous release I have noticed an app hang using x64 version during detection of drives.

This only occurs when I have a cd-rom in my dvd-r drive, it continuously accesses the drive, never gets past detection of it though, I end up opening the drive and restarting hwinfo64 via task manager and all is well, once it detects the drive I can close the drive and functionality is normal.

Int terms of it continuously accessing the cd/dvd-rom drive, the light showing drive usage continuously flashes, I once let it sit and went to make a cup of tea to see if it would get past it, it never did after 5 or so minutes.

If there is no cd/dvd in the drive at all, it works flawlessly, boots up incredibly fast, barely able to read the start-up procedures on the little loading bar/window.

Other than that, the program works perfectly, no excess usage noticed, no lag/spiking in applications, perfect off-loading of sensor readings to 3rd-party osd apps, etc.

Which system and drivers are you using? Maybe upgrading the ATA drivers might help to fix this.
Also, attaching the HWiNFO Debug File from such a hang might show me more details about why it happens.

Win7x64 Home Premium - Fully updated
i5 2500 non k @4.3 (Per core) blck 105.3
8gb ddr3 ram 2000 @ 1964, xmp 1.3
1tb 7200rpm hdd ahci mode.
Gigabyte oc2 hd6970 2gb @ 930/1400 manual fan adjustment
asus p8p67 mobo
mobo sound, realtek drivers
lg dvd-r drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

Latest drivers for everything, I make sure everything is up to date on this system, only drivers that are not the latest are the on-board sound drivers from realtek as they give some unwanted feedback via earphones.

The 'hang' does not interrupt any other application from starting, etc. It also does not interfere with system stability so is completely isolated to HWiNFO64 itself.

To note, it does not happen every time on system start-up either, though I have noticed it more frequently since last official version (non-beta)

HWinFo64 debug file will be supplied once it does happen again, thank you for your time taken to reply and to look at this issue.

While HWiNFO64 did not hang on detection of ide/(S)ata devices, debug log shows (from what I can see) a failure to detect the device id, though it does pick up the device. I also see alot of PCI loops, though I am not in-tune with the way you have programmed your app to do checks, etc. To note, it sits on detection of EC#0 for a bit before continuing using debug mode, the rest is no different in pace to starting HWiNFO64 without debug mode enabled.

Anyway, attached is a debug log of a successful start up of HWiNFO64, still awaiting for it to re-produce the 'hang' I have experienced several times...

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    480.4 KB · Views: 2
I don't see any issues in the Debug File. Longer staying during EC check is normal in Debug Mode - it's the ASUS EC sensors which HWiNFO will tell you that you might want to disable it because of its nature. Beside that everything looks normal.

Martin said:
I don't see any issues in the Debug File. Longer staying during EC check is normal in Debug Mode - it's the ASUS EC sensors which HWiNFO will tell you that you might want to disable it because of its nature. Beside that everything looks normal.

Well it's good news for me to hear that detection of ec sensors is fine during debug, will reply with an attachment if I do come across the issue I posted about previously, touch wood it doesn't happen again, though for debug purposes it would be good if it did so it can produce a log file to assist.

Back