hard disk clicking when sensors open

qweqaz

Hard disk is periodically (with the period of sensor reading 500ms) emits a clicking sound and blinked hdd led. When I choose disable drive scan sound and blinking disappear. Could I read the drives temperature without clicking its heads using HWiNFO?

Motherbord GA-Z68AP-D3
Drives: ST31000524AS, DT01ACA200 and SSD SV300S37A240G.
System and hwinfo is on SSD.
I tried to install inter RST [font=intel-clear, tahoma, Helvetica, helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]12.9.0.1001, nothing change.[/font]

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • TOX-PC.MHT.DBG
    236.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm afraid, this looks like it's the drive temperature query (SMART status) that causes the disk to wake-up and cause the clicking sound.
You might also try to disable reading of the disk status in sensors screen ('Del' or Right-click + Disable Monitoring on the particular drive) to see if that's the case and which of the disks is affected.
But that will effectively disable the feature you need anyway. If upgrading the storage drivers won't help, then perhaps adjusting disk power management settings might do.

Martin said:
I'm afraid, this looks like it's the drive temperature query (SMART status) that causes the disk to wake-up and cause the clicking sound.
You might also try to disable reading of the disk status in sensors screen ('Del' or Right-click + Disable Monitoring on the particular drive) to see if that's the case and which of the disks is affected.
But that will effectively disable the feature you need anyway. If upgrading the storage drivers won't help, then perhaps adjusting disk power management settings might do.

Yes, you right with the reason, but why other programs (AIDA64, SpeedFan) don't "click"? Even when I disable monitoring of all hard drives parameters, it still clicks. Looks like the HWiNFO scan drives too deep. I need only temperature, is it really [font=arial, sans-serif]necessary to read all SMART?[/font]

That's interesting. I was expecting that disabling monitoring SMART sensors should solve the issue.
Have you also disabled the sensor headings (with the SMART in name) ? That's important.
If that didn't help, please try to disable other sensors until you find the one responsible for the clicks. Please let me know then which one it was.

Martin said:
That's interesting. I was expecting that disabling monitoring SMART sensors should solve the issue.
Have you also disabled the sensor headings (with the SMART in name) ? That's important.
If that didn't help, please try to disable other sensors until you find the one responsible for the clicks. Please let me know then which one it was.

Now I can't hear clicks, it is not always, may be depends from hard disk load. But I can see the blinking HDD LED with the frequency of sensor polling. 
I disable monitoring of all sensors, but HDD LED still blinks.
When I close HWiNFO or choose in settings "don't scan drives" the blinking disappears.
I set the original fixed order of sensors, show all sensors and disable monitoring of all sensors. Blinking stopped. When I turn on any sensor in the SMART section, blinking starts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_201.png
    Screenshot_201.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_200.png
    Screenshot_200.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
So in AIDA64 or other tools that constantly show SMART status (temperature or health) this blinking is not visible ?
I think that AIDA64 for example uses less frequent polling of disk status to avoid such issues, so that's why it might not be easily visible there.

Martin said:
So in AIDA64 or other tools that constantly show SMART status (temperature or health) this blinking is not visible ?
I think that AIDA64 for example uses less frequent polling of disk status to avoid such issues, so that's why it might not be easily visible there.

Now I checked the AIDA64. Polling interval set 500ms but HDD blink about 1 times per 2 sec and not periodically. So, it can poll it with less frequency.
When it not clicking, it isn't annoying. But sometimes it start clicking at night... May be when other program write something. 
Where is SMART data physically located on? On the flash or on the magnetic disk? I think, it need move heads to read the SMART sectors, and when it shares time with other process, the clicking appears. Like 2 simultaneous operation of reading different files.
It would be good, if you add option individual polling interval for each sensor in "Custom" tab of settings. Or only for storage drives.

I don't think there's a need to move heads in order to read SMART status, it should be stored in a dedicated memory space (flash probably).
So this problem is most likely caused by the disk firmware.
I'll add an option to poll SMART status less frequently.

Martin said:
I don't think there's a need to move heads in order to read SMART status, it should be stored in a dedicated memory space (flash probably).
So this problem is most likely caused by the disk firmware.
I'll add an option to poll SMART status less frequently.

Flash has a limed times to rewrite, only several thousand times. 
I found good article about hdd, and it has information about service partition. Smart is stored there.
Also here is screenshot of erasing SMART sectors.
[img=500x301]https://xakep.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/5.png[/img]
Article in Russian and I can't found it in English, but you can use google translator. https://xakep.ru/2014/11/02/exstence-standart-harddisk/

And thank you a lot for developing and  supporting this great program.

The new "Disk S.M.A.R.T. polling rate" setting will be added in the next build.
So if your global polling frequency is 500 ms and you set the "Disk S.M.A.R.T. polling rate" to 10, S.M.A.R.T. status will be queried every 5 seconds.

qweqaz

Regular self-questioning range of devices for reading data S.M.A.R.T. in HDD is not shorter than 60 seconds, so often ask him if anything it makes no sense has changed, and if there is a bed unit controller it in real-time itself will fix what will take several turns of the plate package - a one-time mistake operation is fixed, but does not activate control schemes. And with the same temperature all quite simple - HDD is the same thing, and enough heat capacity jumps temperature his only possible on the electronics board that is removed by placing it in a stream in prodigy sufficiently powerful fan that mounts perpendicularity plane drive base. Fans at the bottom HDD clueless as heated air is reflected from the walls of the housing and not having to cool down again warms hermetical area.

in Russian (original)

Обычный интервал самоопроса устройств для считывания данных S.M.A.R.T. у HDD не короче 60 секунд, так что часто спрашивать у него не поменялось ли чего смысла нет, а если возникнет бэд блок контроллер его и сам в реальном времени зафиксирует на что уйдёт несколько оборотов пакета пластин - однократная ошибка операции фиксируется, но не вызывает срабатывания схем контроля. И с температурой то же всё достаточно просто - HDD это же достаточно теплоёмкая вещь и скачки температуры у него возможны только на плате электроники что убирается помещением его в в продольный поток достаточно производительного вентилятора который монтируется перпендикулярно плоскости основания накопителя. Вентиляторы внизу HDD бестолковы т.к. нагретый воздух отражается от стенок корпуса и не успев охладится снова греет гермозону.

Back