Help understanding logs

pipoco

Hi everyone,

I've been having issues with my computer completely shutting down whenever I am running something intense. No blue screen or anything, it just suddenly powers down and then instantly reboots. This happens usually when I play more intensive video games (Overwatch, Ori and the Blind Forest, Valorant) but lately it's happening more often. Yesterday I was using Unity and it shut down on me three times. :( I can use smaller programs / games with no issues.

The computer is 6+ years old, and has all of its original parts. Specs are:
AMD FX-8350
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Corsair CX750

I've attached the 3 logs I collected. For each one I ran the game Grow Home, and played until my computer shut down (usually took a few minutes). There are 2 GPU temps in the logs, and one is a lot higher than the other? I am very confused. I'm suspecting the issue is the PSU but I am really not positive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much! And please let me know if I forgot any information - I am new to hardware.

Attachments

• system logs.zip
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
Had a look at your logs with Generic Log Viewer. Everything looks fine, temperatures, clocks, voltages and so on. However, since these are all software-based readings with a certain polling interval, they won't catch any sudden spikes/drops. And sudden reboots probably indicates a hardware issue. My guess is either GPU or PSU, but driver issues are also possible.

I suggest to ensure the graphics card is inserted all the way into the slot - maybe reseat it just to be sure. Do the same for any plugs to the GPU, motherboard and drives. If your GPU has two power connectors, make sure you use two separate cables, not a single daisy-chained cable.

Furthermore, run some load on either the CPU or GPU to find out if the GPU itself or the PSU is the culprit. CPU load can be generated with e.g. Prime95 and GPU load with e.g. Unigine Heaven or FurMark. Note that you shouldn't run FurMark for a longer period of time since it's kind of a power virus.

Regards
Dalai

Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate you taking the time to help with my issue!

I'm going to take tomorrow to check the connections in the computer and run the tests you suggested. I can update on if I find the culprit or if redoing the physical connections end up fixing the issue - either way it's nice to rule things out.

Back