High CPU load

as requested, with version 5256, better after standby, but HWinfo takes still too much resources:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 154135.jpg

Attachments

• HWinfo.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
That was what I could do in this case. The rest is due to how various sensors are designed and how much resources it takes to read them. To reduce the the load further you will need to disable some sensors.
I also don't think that the Power usage in Task Manager is a reliable indicator.

Disabling "Debug Mode" reduces the resource consumption again to 0,3 - 0,5%.
Almost perfect, many thanks for your patience.

Oh yes, I forgot that about Debug Mode. It increases resource usage because it dumps a lot of data, so it should not be enabled for normal usage.

Thanks! I can confirm that your build 5256 appears to solve all of the observed issues for my 12-th gen Alder Lake CPU on my Gigabyte Z690 mobo running Windows 11 Pro.

I did end up disabling the "DDR5 DIMM..." monitoring as, while not as heavyweight as the Renesas stuff, still stood out as being resource-intensive to watch - I don't suppose you can address that too? :)

Thanks for the feedback.
Unfortunately DDR5 DIMM monitoring can't be further tuned, it's by design how the PMIC telemetry works.

Hi Martin, I just noticed that HiNFO64 is back to sucking up more than an entire core's worth of CPU on my same system (Intel 12-th gen Alder Lake) - and the solution from last time, disabling the DDR5 sensors, is still in place.

This is the automatic update to version/build v7.73-5375 - any ideas what I may have to disable now, or possibly even better solutions?

EDIT: I just noticed which ones are causing the problem this time - it is two sensor groups, both showing the same name: "GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS MASTER (Renesas RAA229131)". If I disable monitoring both of these two groups, then the HWiNFO64 cpu usage drops back to the "hardly there" level.

Last edited:
Hi Martin, I just noticed that HiNFO64 is back to sucking up more than an entire core's worth of CPU on my same system (Intel 12-th gen Alder Lake) - and the solution form last time, disabling the DDR5 sensors, is still in place.

This is the automatic update to version/build v7.73-5375 - any ideas what I may have to disable now, or possibly even better solutions?

EDIT: I just noticed which ones are causing the problem this time - it is two sensor groups, both showing the same name: "GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS MASTER (Renesas RAA229131)". If I disable monitoring both of these two groups, then the HWiNFO64 cpu usage drops back to the "hardly there" level.

In case you're running some other monitoring/tweaking tools (including GIGABYTE SIV), try to close them.
If that won't help I'll need to see the HWiNFO Debug File with those sensors enabled to see if there's some issue.

In case you're running some other monitoring/tweaking tools (including GIGABYTE SIV), try to close them.
If that won't help I'll need to see the HWiNFO Debug File with those sensors enabled to see if there's some issue.
Nope, only GPU-Z... funny thing about these sensors: are they new in HWiNFO64? They seem to be all about power delivery to the CPU. Also, they don't seem to appear when my app enumerates all your sensors in the shared memory segment(?).

And if you really want the debug file, please point me to the instructions for enabling it. :)

No, these sensors were added a couple of versions back.

Thanks for the link, maybe I won't lose it. ;)

But you may not need your "Debug File"... if the end result of this query is the same as last time - "reading the DDR5 info is expensive, disable it if you are concerned about the CPU usage" - then I can already see what to do here: disable the two "GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS MASTER (Renesas RAA229131)".

Basically, I only have 5 "expensive" sensors in my setup: the 2 DDR5 @ 22ms EACH, the 2 "Renesas" @ 11ms EACH, and the "GPU [#0]: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070: MSI RTX 4070 Gaming X Trio" @ 18ms - 28ms (variable, usually down around 18-20ms).

Here is something interesting - I *just* let Windows install the latest "Insiders Preview Cumulative Update" - and now, as I re-enable these "expensive" sensors, the CPU energy consumption only goes up incrementally - NOT suddenly demanding a whole core's worth of power! Maybe they cleaned up something in the VM emulation layers, which I think Win 11 is using all of the time... maybe a contention issue is gone now? This newest build is "22635.3276", BTW.

In any case, I can still disable these sensors if I choose to, or not - but I am not driven to disable them, if you see the difference.

Back