How can I narrow down cause of frequent computer crashes - HWinfo logs included

hauspost

Dear all,

I'm trying to find a problem with a gaming PC that I recently "inherited".

- It runs perfectly fine outside of 3D Gaming
- When playing even moderate settings on games like GTA5, Asassins Creed Origins or other Games with 3D Worlds it frequently crashes. Usually takes longer for the first crash, which is why I suspected temperature related problems. However it doesn't seem to me that the temperatures are out of bounds. I sometimes still crashes with the GPU if I Limit the temperature to well under 80°C.

Setup:
- i7 6700k 4 GHz (Water Cooled)
- Asus turbo GeForce gtx 1080 8GB

Some crashes actually lead to a blue Sceen and reboot, but more often the Game just crashes or freezes.

I'm struggeling to make sense of the HWinfo log files - can anyone with an experienced eye point me in the right direction to narrow this down?

I'm attatching three example logs from recent crashes, two short ones with AC Origins (Medium Settings) and a longer one with GTA5

Any help appreciated!!

Best, Johannes

Attachments

• hwinfo64 stats.zip
    215.8 KB · Views: 2
How is the airflow inside your case? Which PSU do you have? What kind of CPU water cooler is this? Some CPU cores hit 80°C which could be kind of high if it's a decent water cooler, especially considering that the system isn't overclocked. And take a look at the drive temperatures. One of them doesn't drop below 50°C, nearly hitting 60°C while it doesn't read/write anything according to the Read/Write Rate. IMO this is too much when permanently running this warm which is why I asked about case airflow.

Regards
Dalai

Hi Dalai,

Thanks so much for the reply!

- PSU: bequiet System Power B9 (600W)
- Cooler: Coolermaster, looks like Masterliquid ML120 (+additional Master Cooler Fan)

I agree airflow may not be ideal. But the GTA5 Dataset was after the computer had been on for a long time. I just cleaned all the grills and fans, and tried AS Origins with after a cold start. I had a crash after about 14 minutes with SDDs below 50 and 60, CPUs and GPU both below 80°C ... May not be ideal, but shouldn't crash yet, right? Log attached.

.... The setup is a narrow tower with a large fan in the bottom, an extra Fan underneath the Masterliquid Cooler, and the Graphics board BEHIND the motherboard. I already put a heatsink onto the SSD (NVME), since it sits on the bottom side of the MB right underneath the Graphics card.

... If it's really just heat, I may need to completly scrap the narrow tower that my son finds so awesome. But do you really think these temperatures can cause such crashes?

Best, Johannes

Attachments

• hwinfo64 stats AC Origins3.zip
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.38.jpeg
    Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.38.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.37.jpeg
    Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.37.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.36.jpeg
    Image 2020-11-18 at 21.01.36.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 4
It's difficult to tell whether or not temperatures can cause this. Is it possible? Yes, absolutely. Is it likely? Maybe, but maybe not. The PCH temperature is also a little bit high, even in the latest log; the other temps look OK.

Since you're using a Riser cable for the GPU, I suggest to check the seating of that cable, and that it's routed properly and that it doesn't make too sharp bends - they don't take such bends too well from what I understand.

What happened this time? Did only the game crash, or did the whole system crash with a BSOD? If it's the latter, maybe the STOP code can help identify the culprit. Either check Windows Event Log or use NirSoft BlueScreenView to see the STOP code (although the latter isn't always reliable).

Regards
Dalai

Thank you again. It was just a game crash, the BSOD are less frequent, fortunately. But also means I have no stop code. I searched the Windows Event Logs before and could never find anything suspicious.

Will follow up on Riser Cable.

I just tried opening the entire tower, putting the Graphics board outside on a table and therefore out of the temperature equation. in the second try I also removed all glass and aluminum covers.

Result: Temperatures lowered further, crashes persist. I'm at a loss. Maybe something broken from previous owners overclocking and now sensitive to heat? Is that realistic?

Attachments

• hwinfo64 stats open AC Origins.zip
    261.3 KB · Views: 1
Well, if the crashes still occur with even lower temperatures (or rather not on the higher side anymore), I doubt it's (entirely) a temperature related issue. How about GPU drivers? Have you tried completely removing them, maybe even via DDU in Safe Mode, and reinstalling them? A different driver version also might help, older or newer.

Regards
Dalai

Thanks again, Dalai, for the replies!

I'm still at a loss...

I installed a completely fresh Windows 10 on a test partition, installed AC Origins and got a crash after the usual 15 Minutes.

Next, I used Safe Mode and DDU to revert the newly installed drivers to the old version most recommended for that specific game. Crashes persisted.

I have no idea what to do, except exchanging parts one by one. Any opinions on what to exchange? I'd start with Graphics Card, then try Motherboard/Processor. I just have no idea how to get parts to try this out with, short of buying new ones...

Btw... The PC still runs perfectly well for days, unless we start 3D gaming. Even light VR Apps like Beat Saber work fine. Does that mean it has to be the GPU?

Best, Johannes

I have no idea what to do, except exchanging parts one by one. Any opinions on what to exchange? I'd start with Graphics Card, then try Motherboard/Processor.
Before swapping parts, I suggest to try the GPU in the slot without the Riser cable. Yes, that's a bit of work and makes it necessary to remove the Motherboard from the case and so on. But PCs also run fine when just lying on a table or in a Pizza box ;).

Other than that, swapping parts one by one is what I was going to suggest next, and to me it seems like the next logical step. I'd start with the GPU, then maybe PSU, then Motherboard (preferably keeping the CPU and RAM).

I just have no idea how to get parts to try this out with, short of buying new ones...
Well, if you have a friend or anyone else you can borrow (known good) parts from... Or, if you have a local PC repair shop or retailer near your location, you can ask there if you can have the needed parts for a short period of time or maybe even assist you in the matter (which also might cost money). Other than that, it means buying new parts, unfortunately...

Regards
Dalai

Back