HP Workstation Z440 - FANs don't show

I compared online HP Performance Advisor and HWiNFO.
1. The CPU temperature is correct.
2. Everything else shows is not true.
- The CPU fan: 687 rpm (HP Performance Advisor) and 176 (HWiNFO)
- The front fan: 689 rpm (HP Performance Advisor) and 945 (HWiNFO)
- The rear fan: 820 rpm (HP Performance Advisor) and 565 (HWiNFO)
- The memory fan: 0 rpm (HP Performance Advisor) and 512 (HWiNFO)
- The Ambient temperature: 28 degrees Celsius (HP Performance Advisor) and 285 (HWiNFO)

But according to the previous screenshots the front/rear fans seemed to be OK.
Please do not run both HP tool and HWiNFO in parallel, it could give invalid results.
If you can get the fans at a stable speed and then check with HWiNFO / HP run separately.

As for trying to create a Debug File, try to disable the "Debug Write Direct" option if that will help.

Ok. Resume.
I ran HWiNFO / HP separately and compared the results.

1. There is correct: the CPU temperature, the front/rear fans.
2. There is incorrect: the CPU fan, the memory fan, the Ambient temperature.

I disabled the "Debug Write Direct" option and the HWiNFO program starts without hovering.
I attached the debug file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Thanks.
All sensors show correctly. I attached the debug file.

Problem with hanging on startup when selecting the "Debug Write Direct" option was left. Please fix it, because previously versions with this option the debug mode worked fine.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    927.1 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64 - the program hangs.DBG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks, great to see that the entire monitoring works well.
As for the Debug File, the fact that "Debug Write Direct" fixes the problem means that the creation of Debug File probably just takes too long. I don't know why is that yet.

I attached the debug file and the HWiNFO64A.SYS file which is created in the temp directory.
The file sizes are too small to be so loud cracked head hdd and the program crashed.

When it starts crackling the hdd, volumes of files does not increase. So at this time no data is written. That is, the disk is busy with something else. Perhaps not sent the right command.

Please, view two debug files. At the end of their visible record, after which stuck. Then you need to keep in mind that maybe the cache is not fully discharged on the hdd, because I rigidly canceled the running process of the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
You attached the HWiNFO release files instead ;)
You might try to start it a few times and during each attempt wait a different amount of time (i.e. 1 minute, 5 minutes) and then attach the respective Debug Files.
But I'm afraid this won't be easy to diagnose. The difference when using "Debug Write Direct" is only that HWiNFO writes the DBG file without buffering. The entire operation is done by the operating system in both cases (with/without that option), so HWiNFO has no influence on that.

Version "HWiNFO64 v5.32" works without problems.
I attached the new debug file with 7 min. of operation of the program.
HWiNFO  hangs on "Checking PCI".

Attachments

• HWiNFO64 - 7 min.DBG
    216.5 KB · Views: 2
So i have the same problem. The fans only show up in HP performance advisor and can only be controlled by the bios but then i need to restart my pc everytime i game.

My debug files are in the attachment.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    892.2 KB · Views: 3
Well, I can see the problem now.. but HP is using a proprietary method to access the fans.
HWiNFO has some sort of unofficial support for this, but it doesn't seem to work in your case. And since this technology is proprietary, I don't know how to fix it.
Does perhaps some other tool like AIDA64 show the fans?

Nope it doesnt, whatever then. I guess i will just have to wait for this thing to need an upgrade and buy a proper gaming pc. Its just that my gpu with oc from manufacturer is always running around 79 to 81 Celcius and sometimes TTing. I am thinking to replace the thermal paste too help it a little bit till its duty is over. Thank you for your help though

It's a problem: FANs don't show on the sensor status panel.
Only GPU FAN show.
In version 5.33-2922, the fan speed also stopped showing.

HP Workstation Z440:
1. Motherboard Model: Hewlett-Packard 212B
2. Motherboard Chipset: Intel C612 (Wellsburg-G)
3. OS Windows 10 Pro
4. HWiNFO64 v7.32 for Windows

HP Performance Advisor show fan speeds.
AIDA64 also does not show fan speeds.

The ACPI button, SMBIOS, Memory (address: CBED0000) dump from RW-Everything tool and SMBus sensor from AIDA64 I attached.
HWiNFO64.DBG I attached.
Information about fans is available in SMBIOS.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 7
  • The dump files -- 2022-11-28.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It's a problem: FANs don't show on the sensor status panel.
Only GPU FAN show.
In version 5.33-2922, the fan speed also stopped showing.

HP Workstation Z440:
1. Motherboard Model: Hewlett-Packard 212B
2. Motherboard Chipset: Intel C612 (Wellsburg-G)
3. OS Windows 10 Pro
4. HWiNFO64 v7.32 for Windows

HP Performance Advisor show fan speeds.
AIDA64 also does not show fan speeds.

The ACPI button, SMBIOS, Memory (address: CBED0000) dump from RW-Everything tool and SMBus sensor from AIDA64 I attached.
HWiNFO64.DBG I attached.
Information about fans is available in SMBIOS.

Looks like on your system the required region was relocated from 0xCBED0000 to 0xCBEF2000, most likely due to a BIOS update.
Could you please attach a new dump from that memory region?

Last edited:
I attached the dump.
Yes, I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Attachments

• M00000000CBEF2000 (RW-Everything tool) - 2022-11-28.zip
    816 bytes · Views: 5
Martin,
do you need any more information to solve the problem?
Is it possible to make your program automatically detect the memory region change when updating the BIOS?

Back