HWiNFO 5.20-2800 doesnot display CPU Fan details.

Hi,

I am using HP z820 system, and installed HWiNFO64 Version 5.20-2800 but strangely it does not display any CPU fan details. I found a similar thread and carried out the steps mentioned in the steps but sadly it didn't help. 
I could see the CPU temperature is rising if I switch off the CPU fans, but should it not display at least whether the fan is running/what is the speed etc?

Regards,
Frank

Please attach the HWiNFO Report and Debug Files for analysis and I'll have a look at that.

Martin said:
Please attach the HWiNFO Report and Debug Files for analysis and I'll have a look at that.

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling lately and didn't get time to go through the mails. 
Please find the attached files.

Attachments

• Archive.7z
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
Well, this is really strange. HWiNFO doesn't find any additional sensors in the system, but I can see that it's also unable to recognize other components like disks, memory modules, etc.
That looks as if something in the system is blocking it from accessing several devices. Is that machine perhaps running some antivirus or other security software that might be blocking HWiNFO ?
It's also possible that the machine uses a proprietary controller for sensors (i.e. Embedded Controller or BMC) that is not supported by HWiNFO and so you cannot see information like fan speeds.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I observed the same behavior even if I executed it as "Run as Administrator" or logged into Administrator account. The only antivirus that I have on the system is Trend Micro. I cant disable the antivirus, since that would create a lot of problems.
Again, you have mentioned that you observed that some other devices were also blocked; but despite that how is it displaying those devices' information? Can't we use similar thing to display the CPU fan info as well?
I know, may be I am asking to much from a freeware but I believe that's the last glitch I see in the software that can be this light and this productive.

Regards,
Frank

In the report you attached I don't see any drives being reported and also no memory modules. This is what I noticed suspicious and also according to the DBG file attached, it looks like something in the system doesn't allow HWiNFO to access them.
As for the fan speed/sensor, this is something different and unless it's the same case of something blocking HWiNFO, this device is most probably a proprietary design that's unsupported because of the lack of information. Theoretically if the machine would support IPMI (which doesn't seem to be the case), it might be possible to retrieve some sensor data.
Are there perhaps any other tools being able to report sensor information on this machine ?

Martin said:
In the report you attached I don't see any drives being reported and also no memory modules. This is what I noticed suspicious and also according to the DBG file attached, it looks like something in the system doesn't allow HWiNFO to access them.
As for the fan speed/sensor, this is something different and unless it's the same case of something blocking HWiNFO, this device is most probably a proprietary design that's unsupported because of the lack of information. Theoretically if the machine would support IPMI (which doesn't seem to be the case), it might be possible to retrieve some sensor data.
Are there perhaps any other tools being able to report sensor information on this machine ?

Hi Martin,

I am not sure if my machine is IPMI supported. Any idea how to find out? I have not tried any other tool to fetch sensor details. Could you please suggest a couple of them for me to try out?

-Frank

As for IPMI I suggest to check manufacturer's specifications and support site.
You might try AIDA64 or CPUID HWMonitor if they will be able to report fan speeds or additional sensors.

FranciskoPetrark said:
Thanks Martin, 
let me do a quick check and get back to you.

Hi Martin,

I have attached the system info details for the system I was testing on. May be that be of any help to you. Please have a look and let me know if that helped.

-Frank

Attachments

• systeminfo.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm sorry, but the attached systeminfo doesn't contain any useful information.

Hi Martin,

I installed CPUID HWMonitor and it was able to display the CPU Fan details along with other chassis fans as well. But strangely, it was not able to display CPU Clock details instead.

-Frank

Hm, that's interesting. Can you please post a screenshot of CPUID HWMonitor showing the fans and the respective sensor ?

Could you please make the screenshot larger? I need to see the name of the sensors found.

Hi Martin,

I don't see any sensor details displayed. All that I could see is the machine name ("TestMachine") followed by the processor ("Intel Xeon E5 2643") which further branches into "Voltages", "Temperatures", "Powers", "Clocks" and "Utilizations". (as displayed in the previous screenshot shared by me).

I am using the normal/free download version of CPUID HWMonitor and not the "Extended Pro" version. May be that's why its not able to display the sensor details? I dont have any idea!

-Frank

I don't think that the Pro version will show more.

Do you have SMBus support enabled in HWiNFO settings ?

Can you please try AIDA64, right-click on the bottom status bar (if you don't see the bar you might need to enable it from Menu - View), then choose "Sensor Debug" - "SMBus Dump (Full)" and "ISA Sensor Dump" and upload the produced files here ?

Martin said:
I don't think that the Pro version will show more.

Do you have SMBus support enabled in HWiNFO settings ?

Can you please try AIDA64, right-click on the bottom status bar (if you don't see the bar you might need to enable it from Menu - View), then choose "Sensor Debug" - "SMBus Dump (Full)" and "ISA Sensor Dump" and upload the produced files here ?

For HWiNFO:
In the SMBus / 12C tab under Settings, I tried enabling/disabling SMBus Support, GPU 12C Support, checking/unchecking 0xx0 to 0xxF SMBus Device Exclusion options; none of the combination shows the CPU bus details.

Again, for AID64 it does not display any CPU fan details; still I am attaching the debug dump.

Attachments

• smbusdump_full.txt
    70.8 KB · Views: 3
Hm, it seems AIDA64 has the same issue as HWiNFO..
Can you please also attach the "ISA Sensor Dump" from AIDA64 ?

Martin said:
Hm, it seems AIDA64 has the same issue as HWiNFO..
Can you please also attach the "ISA Sensor Dump" from AIDA64 ?

Hi Martin,

pfa ISA Sensor Dump for AIDA64

-Frank

Attachments

• isa_sensor_dump.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 4
Back