HWiNFO - Caution - High Priority Unload Events

baumgrenze

When I run HWiNFO on a recently purchased (<300 Power On Hours) 2TB WD Black drive it throws a "caution" (Yellow Triangle/Black !) and reports 2 High Priority Unload Events.

I've found it difficult to interpret the significance of this warning. I'd appreciate comments from more informed forum members.

thanks,
baumgrenze

RE: HWiNINFO - Caution - High Priority Unload Events

Please post a screenshot of the SMART status table in the main window of HWiNFO.
Do other tools like CrystalDiskInfo for example report an issue too?

Martin said:
Please post a screenshot of the SMART status table in the main window of HWiNFO.
Do other tools like CrystalDiskInfo for example report an issue too?

Thank you for your reply, Martin,

I also have copies of CrystalDiskInfo and Speccy

I tried to add both to the HWiNifo image, but the second seemed not to attach.

[attachment=3359]

[attachment=3360]

Attachments

• HWinFO64_K_032619.jpg
    HWinFO64_K_032619.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CrystalDiskInfo_K_032619.jpg
    CrystalDiskInfo_K_032619.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 9
Here's the Speccy. I see the error message now and it is smaller.

[attachment=3361]

Attachments

• Speccy_K_0322619_Smaller.jpg
    Speccy_K_0322619_Smaller.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks. The other tools don't support ATA Device Statistics, so they don't report these parameters.
The definition says:

The Number of High Priority Load Events statistic is a value that records the number of emergency head unload events. An emergency head unload event is defined as:
a) when the heads are loaded from the ramp to the media for a ramp load device; or
b) when the heads take off from the landing zone for a contact start stop device,
in response to one of the following events:
a) processing an IDLE IMMEDIATE command with the unload feature (see 7.15.4);
b) unexpected power loss;
c) device initiated self-protection (e.g., Free-fall Control feature set (see 4.9)); or
d) other notification from the host (e.g. SATA pin P11, SATA Direct Head Unload (see SATA 3.3)).

So it's possible that some of those events are not critical, though HWiNFO considers them as a warning.

Martin,
Thanks for the explanation. This is clearly a useful analysis.

This seems to be the only disk in my system doing this.

Is it 'possible grounds' to request an RMA?

thanks,
baumgrenze

I don't think this is a reason for a RMA. That value is rather a result of handling/operational conditions.

I also posted this question on Seven forums.

See:
https://www.sevenforums.com/software/418990-hwininfo-caution-high-priority-unload-events.html#post3427133

There Snick supplied a link to this explanation from Western Digital. It tells us that recent WD drives save power through their "Idle 3" mode.

The S.M.A.R.T Attribute 193 Load/Unload counter keeps increasing on a SATA 2 hard drive

It appears satisfactory to me. Does it to others?

thanks,
baumgrenze

https://www.sevenforums.com/softwar...-high-priority-unload-events.html#post3427133

Back