HWiNFO doesn't show Kraken after CAM uninstalled

highpec

Hey,

I have another PC that I tested CAM on, and it was still just as bad as it was when I tested on my main PC, so I uninstalled it and did a system restore to before it was installed. Everything worked fine, and now HWiNFO displays the pump speed/liquid temps as it did before. (I know if you have the software open it won't show).

However, on my main PC, a few months ago I did the same thing... except now, it doesn't show the pump or liquid temp at all. It does show the label "NZXT Kraken x52/x62" but there's nothing under it. The only difference is that on my main PC, I updated the firmware, whereas on my other PC, I didn't. Did the firmware update block HWiNFO from accessing the data? If not, how can I bring it back? I'm guessing there's no way to reset the firmware on this device, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Thanks!

Yes, it's quite possible that a firmware update has resulted in some changes that break the support in HWiNFO.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File of that machine with sensor data and I will check that.

Martin said:
Yes, it's quite possible that a firmware update has resulted in some changes that break the support in HWiNFO.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File of that machine with sensor data and I will check that.

I have been experiencing the same issue with a brand new unit.  Debug log attached.

Firmware version is 4.0.2.

Edit: could not attach the log, so uploaded it to Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tfbAqjTxGK30InZwSyIjqM-Rhlp4m-EC

According to the Debug File it looks like the new firmware change the communication protocol. We don't have information about this new protocol yet :(

Martin said:
According to the Debug File it looks like the new firmware change the communication protocol. We don't have information about this new protocol yet :(

I would love to help!  Maybe we can do a collaboration of sorts?

By the way, krakenx can still read (seemly sensible) fan and pump speeds out of my unit.

I'm sure their own software knows how to read those values, because they know how the new firmware works.
I'd need to see content of USB packets exchanged with the cooler, which could be retrieved using some USB analyzer. But this task is probably for advanced users.

I am sorry, I actually meant this open-source project: https://github.com/KsenijaS/krakenx

My point is that the protocol does not appear to have changed too much, since the small part that tool needs still works.

I do not have experience developing software that interacts with USB devices, but from code I have been reading (krakenx, OpenCorsairLink, other projects for older Krakens), the protocols are not as complex as I would have otherwise imagined. I think I can help with that.

That's great then! Let me have a look at that project, I think it should provide all information I need to implement this :)

Pump and fan speeds are working perfectly : )

The liquid temperature is slightly off though.

What USB tracing/sniffing tool you recommend?

Edit: It took me so long to reply because I was trying to get Microsoft Message Analyzer to work; but, in the end, it shows everything except the transferred data : \

Attachments

• hwinfo-x62-liquid-temp (2).PNG
    hwinfo-x62-liquid-temp (2).PNG
    307.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the feedback. No need for an USB analyzer anymore, I got all info I need.

Great to know. Looking forward to the updated version.

I would still appreciate a recommendation for a good USB analyzer, because I would like to add krakenx support for setting fan/pump profiles.

I will also adjust the temperature value. Not sure which one is correct, if the one that's krakenx reporting or HWiNFO currently.
Sorry, I don't know a good USB analyzer.

Both CAM (the official software by NZXT) and krakenx report equal temperatures to me.

Comparing the two and also checking the raw USB messages, krakenx's conversion seem to work well during both steady state and transient tests: byte1 + 1/10*byte2.

The division by 10, which could otherwise be by any other number, seems to have been inherited from what the internal Asetek controller reports, and similar to what Corsair uses with its Asetek-made coolers as well (which I was able to learn from OpenCorsairLink).

Attachments

• compare-kraken-temps-1.PNG
    compare-kraken-temps-1.PNG
    168.3 KB · Views: 4
  • compare-kraken-temps-2-starting-prime95.PNG
    compare-kraken-temps-2-starting-prime95.PNG
    158 KB · Views: 2
Back