HWINFO freeze my PC.

SJ_Lee

Hello.
When I run HWINFO on my PC, the PC freezes, displays a blue screen or reboots.

It is presumed to have occurred after updating HWINFO after not updating it for a long time.

My environment
cpu: ryzen 7800x3d
gpus: 7800x3d igpu (disabled by BIOS), radeon rx 470, nvidia 4070ti

It freezes at a stage called "GPU ATI".

When I tested it, it occurs even with only the chipset driver and amd/nvidia graphics driver installed in the newly installed Windows environment.

please help me.
Thank you.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Did HWiNFO crash or the entire system froze?
It looks like the problem is in the (rather uncommon) combination of GPUs/drivers - RDNA2 GPU + GCN4 GPU + NVIDIA. Where especially the combination of those two AMD GPUs causes issues in the driver.
If you don't need the RX 470, I'd suggest to remove it as I believe the current configuration isn't only unstable in HWiNFO but other applications might be affected as well.

Did HWiNFO crash or the entire system froze?
It looks like the problem is in the (rather uncommon) combination of GPUs/drivers - RDNA2 GPU + GCN4 GPU + NVIDIA. Where especially the combination of those two AMD GPUs causes issues in the driver.
If you don't need the RX 470, I'd suggest to remove it as I believe the current configuration isn't only unstable in HWiNFO but other applications might be affected as well.
As a result of reinstalling and testing the graphics card driver, it was confirmed that it did not occur if only one of radeon/nvidia was installed.
I'll look for more composable driver versions, and if that's not possible, I'll follow your suggestion.

Thank you for your advice.

===============================
I'm assuming that the new nvidia drivers cause problems when used with the radeon drivers.
This is because there was no problem when using old drivers for 1080ti in the past.
The radeon 19.5.2 driver is able to use HWINFO without causing any problems.

Last edited:
I too had my computer freeze using the latest HWinfo portable hwi_746. When I saw freeze I mean both monitors went black, it was as if someone pulled the power plug out of my PC. The fans were not spinning but the computers front light on the button was white. Meaning it had power. Basically had to reboot the system. Now its fine. But afraid to use HWinfo anymore. I've never had that program crash any of my PCs in years. I don't like hard crashes like that so don't really want to repeat it too many times if I can avoid it.

Combo of HWinfo 746 and GPU-Z_ASUS_ROG_2.53.0 crashed my new RTX 4070 with latest may 2023 drivers 531.79
Dell 3610 32 Gig ecc with e5=1660 v2 @3.7ghz hex HT2019 bios
Win 10 Pro latest patches.

I was looking to see if my 4070 was using PCI 3.0 x 16 and ran the little test and it was. It did not freeze right away, I was looking at some web pages and then the system just shutdown. Fans off etc put power light on. Had to hold the power button down to reboot system. Now its ok.

I've had the 4070 maybe 4 days and no crashes at all gaming etc.

My previous card was a 1080 GTX and I used hwi_574 for that. No crashes.

So its either the new HWinfo 746 or maybe the combo of the 4070 and new 746. I did not try old version but i can and see.

Last edited:
Hard to give any advice in that case without seeing the HWiNFO Debug File. Maybe disabling "EC Support" in that case would solve the problem.

Hard to give any advice in that case without seeing the HWiNFO Debug File. Maybe disabling "EC Support" in that case would solve the problem.
Does the debug file even get created in the portable version? Was there EC support in the version 574? I did not change anythign in my system but a new version of HW info because I did not think the old would find my 4070. So the 4070 + New version.

What steps do I need to recreate this with a debug file? I've never had the program ever crash on me so its a new thing for me.

Thanks ok I set it up. So far its stable It could be I had GPU Z loaded at same time. I'll report if and when I get it to crash. Thanks.

Not crashed again but It does not pick up live fan speeds off the 4070, they read zero but does have average speed populated.
Here is the debug files but it says its too larger at 70MB

Back