HWiNFO Not AutoStarting for Standard User Account, Task Scheduler Error 0x800702E4

NotSoTechSavvy

Hello,

I am trying to have HWiNFO autostart on my standard user account, but it seems I’m having some trouble.

I’ve created a new task in Task Scheduler (just as the program recommends); however I receive the following error: "The requested operation requires elevation (0x800702E4)".

Autostart is enabled in HWiNFO and the following settings ARE ticked in the new task’s properties:

----------------------------------------------------

General:

Run only when user is logged on

Run with the highest privileges

Triggers:

Begin the task at logon

Specific User: "My Standard Account"

Delay task at 5 Seconds

Enabled

Actions:

Action: Start a program

Program/Script: "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.EXE"

Start in (optional): C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\

Settings:

Allow task to be run on demand

If the running task does not end when requested, force it to

----------------------------------------------------

Any advice on fixing this issue?

Thanks in advance!

The “Run with the highest privileges” option is ticked in, both, the HWiNFO task and the new task I created for my standard user account. So far it’s still only autostarting when logged on as Administrator.

I'm not sure if a standard user account can automatically elevate the rights to Administrator.

So after much fiddling here is what I found:
1. as of some windows update due to security risks, any task suing the "run weather the user is logged in or not" cannot open a program requiring GUI access
2. since HWInfo not requests admin rights at start up the double lunch theory no longer works(one task with and admin right one with out).
3. SOLUTION: runas create a task with
action: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe
arguments: /user:<computer name>\<user with rights> /savecred "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.EXE"
the first time this runs it will ask for the password afterwards it is stored in the windows credential system
it takes a a short bit for the task to run after startup but it works eventually
runas.png

So after much fiddling here is what I found:
1. as of some windows update due to security risks, any task suing the "run weather the user is logged in or not" cannot open a program requiring GUI access
2. since HWInfo not requests admin rights at start up the double lunch theory no longer works(one task with and admin right one with out).
3. SOLUTION: runas create a task with
action: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe
arguments: /user:<computer name>\<user with rights> /savecred "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.EXE"
the first time this runs it will ask for the password afterwards it is stored in the windows credential system
it takes a a short bit for the task to run after startup but it works eventually
View attachment 5312

I tried this method and it's not working, do you have a password for yor standard user account? The app it's not starting, only on admin account.

Indeed, I also have problems with the solution suggested in post #6 above:
  1. Despite the argument "savecred", a password prompt is displayed each time the task is run.
  2. When the task runs, no UI is displayed (neither window nor systray icon).
  3. The task shows "completed" after less than a minute and then doesn't appear in the task list.
Furthermore, I don't understand why such gyrations should even be necessary. Isn't the driver (running with higher privileges) supposed to read the data and make them available to any interactive process (whether running with or without admin privileges)?

Back