HWInfo Startup Hang

Seahorse

Has been working fine for weeks, this morning it will not start locking up on Enumerating screen when a second window seems to appear under it just as it hangs.

[attachment=638]
Killed the Taskmgr, restarted same error.

Rebooted - same error.

Uninstalled and re-installed - same error.

I'm using the 64 bit version, current beta 4.19, reinstalling the stable 4.18 makes no difference.

Not sure why it's crashing this morning or what steps to take next to getting it working again.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 5
RE: HWInfo Sratup Hang

Please run HWiNFO in Debug Mode and after the hang, kill HWiNFO (or reboot) and attach the HWiNFO64.DBG it created.
Then I can analyze it to see what happens there.

I couldn't enable /debug as when you start the programme is went straight to the progress bar screen without showing the Start/Configure.

Two more reboots and I got to the screen, enabled debug & it worked?! I then popped the current beta over the top ran the programme again and it is working?

Oh, one further thing, when rebooting the PC shuts windows (8) and hangs on a black screen requiring a power button 10-second hold to unlock the PC. The PC normally shuts down just fine.

I have attached the /debug file in the hope it sheds some light on this and see if it is hardware or software.

[attachment=639]

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    136 KB · Views: 9
I'm afraid, the debug file doesn't reveal information why it was hanging before (it would have to capture the hang).
But when it's working now, then probably no need to worry.
The problem with reboot might not be related to HWiNFO...

Worked all day yesterday, PC shut down normally. Sadly "Enumerating Buses..." hang on first boot of PC this morning from cold. If you hover the mouse over it you get the busy spinning circle. Left clicking give the program is not responding pop-up and the usual wait/close choices. I chose cancel and relaunch, same hang.

Just for background info there have been no hardware or software changes recently to my PC. The game War Thunder is the most recent change but it pre-dates the strange behaviour by several days.

Re-booting now and then I will attach a log file.

Post Reboot:

Same re-start hang, window exits, screen loses video signal but PC fans etc stay on and it never gets to the point where power cuts and machine goes to POST screen.
HWInfo options screen works, however enumerating hang. Log attached.[attachment=641]

Event Viewer System log shows some issues.

[attachment=642]

Rebooting again now...

After the fifth reboot HWInfo started normally.

Latest debug.
[attachment=643]

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 5
  • LocaleMetaData.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HWiNFO64 (2).zip
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
It seems there's some problem while enumerating the Etron USB 3.0 Host controller.
There can be more reasons, but since I see you're using the default Windows 8 driver for this controller, one option I'd suggest is to upgrade its driver to the one from Etron. I have seen several problems with default Windows 8 drivers in the past (especially SATA and GPU).

If this doesn't help, you might also try to enable the "Low-level PCI Access" option in HWiNFO.

Please let me know about the results.

Installed the current Eltron USB 3 drivers and PC shuts down fully last night and started this morning just fine. Additionally HWInfo not only started but sensors auto-started, something they previously did not despite the option being checked.

Seems like the issue is resolved, thank you Sir.

Thanks for your feedback.
So one more default Windows 8 driver which causes issues :(

With hindsight I should have stuck to Win 7, armed with that knowledge, the first time I have to nuke this box, Win 8 is coming off...

Martin said:
Please run HWiNFO in Debug Mode and after the hang, kill HWiNFO (or reboot) and attach the HWiNFO64.DBG it created.
Then I can analyze it to see what happens there.

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I'm not trying to Hijack this thread but I am experiencing the same symptoms Seahorse was. I'm on an ASRock X79 Extreme 9, also Running Windows 8 64, and I upgraded from HW64_416 which worked fine to 418 which crashes on Enumerating Buses..... I suspect it's a similar thing but I don't have Eaton hardware.

I know you're likely a busy man but if you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    580 KB · Views: 1
Please try the latest HWiNFO Beta (build 1940) and let me know if that works.

Martin said:
Please try the latest HWiNFO Beta (build 1940) and let me know if that works.

Well, I am using your latest beta as of TODAY and it's working great--- it is not crashing at startup anymore... So I guess a big TY is in order. :D

I don't see a problem with the INI file itself. What exactly happened on your machine? Maybe you have changed some setting which caused issues ?

Correction. The ini just made minimized start with sensors only. Just tried the 1950. It hangs on Monitoring- Detecting sensors. GPU ATI #57

Please enable Debug Mode before starting the scan and after the hang either close HWiNFO, or reboot.
Then please attach the HWiNFO32/64.DBG file it produced. I'll analyze it for a solution.

Actually the program does hang "only" for 40 seconds, then sensors come up. It consumes a lot of cpu during that time, 4 cores with each about 25%.
I killed it at the hang, here is the debug file.

You improve the startup time by going to the "SMBus / I2C" tab and in the "GPU I2C Bus Exclusion" check the boxes for 6 and 7.
Alternatively, since I think your notebook doesn't have additional I2C sensors on GPU, so you might disable the entire "GPU I2C Support".

Martin said:
You improve the startup time by going to the "SMBus / I2C" tab and in the "GPU I2C Bus Exclusion" check the boxes for 6 and 7.
Alternatively, since I think your notebook doesn't have additional I2C sensors on GPU, so you might disable the entire "GPU I2C Support".

Yes, it does the trick. Thanks.

Back