HWiNFO64 CPU usage and chipset temp

MonstroMart

Hi!

First i want to thank you for this great little app that is HWiNFO. The g15 lcd support is first class. Good job.

I have 3 questions to ask. Hope you'll be able to find the time to answer them.

1. As you can see in the picture under my total CPU usage while running HWiNFO is always 15% with one core at 50% all the time. I have nothing else running but HWiNFO and the common OS services and drivers. When i close HWiNFO my total cpu usage goes back to 0~1%. Is it normal ? It makes reading of idle temp almost impossible.

2. Is there a reason for the g15 lcd options to feature 3 lines only? With a font size of 9 i could have 5 lines and CoreTemp g15 plugin does feature 5 lines.

3. n00b question here you can laugh at me ;) the reason why i download this great little app is that i plan to enable xmp profile in my bios to run my ram at the maximum speed. Of course enabling xmp in my bios will overclock the fsb and will also overlock the cpu a little bit unless i turn off turbo mode. I have good vent in my system. Antec 900 case with 6 fans, custom cpu (not installed yet) and gpu cooler so i should be fine. But i still want to monitor temp via the g15 lcd screen for a while. My problem is in the picture under i can't figure out what is the mb chipset temp lol. There's a total of 5 mb sensors. W83667HG Motherboard, CPU and Aux. I figure the cpu sensor is one close to the CPU (report same temp as the cpu), i don't have any clue what the aux sensor is and the MB sensor report almost the same temp as the cpu so not sure about this one looks a little bit high to be the chipset temp with only HWiNFO running. Then there's 2 ASUS P7P55D EC sensor. One labeled as CPU with a temp that doesn't make any sense considering the CPU is at 15% load. And another one labeled as motherboard that looks to be ambient temp in the case. Anyone can help me figure out what is what and label them accordinly ?

hwinfo64.jpg

Ty for the help and keep the good work.

Hello,

here are my answers:
1. The monitoring of certain sensors by HWiNFO can cause a slightly higher load to the system. Unfortunately it's because of the nature of accessing certain sensor values (in my opinion the interface is not quite well designed by manufacturers). To check this, you can start disabling certain sensor values using right-click and Disable Monitoring. I suspect reading the ASUS EC (and maybe SMART) sensor values might cause this, so I'd start with them. Let me know if that helped.
2. The LG LCD support in HWiNFO is not very sophisticated. For a better experience, you might want to try the LCDHost tool, which now features support of HWiNFO. Check here for more information: http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-LCDHost-plug-in-for-HWiNFO
3. It's always been a bit tricky to report sensor values on many mainboards, because manufacturers (like ASUS here) don't give out information about their sensors and where they are really connected to. It's possible that some of them (the EC temperatures) are not valid at all. Best would be to compare them with the ASUS monitoring tool and if they don't match, then ignore them. Also, the fact that the EC temperatures seem to be constant across various conditions might mean, that they are invalid.

Martin said:
Hello,

here are my answers:
1. The monitoring of certain sensors by HWiNFO can cause a slightly higher load to the system. Unfortunately it's because of the nature of accessing certain sensor values (in my opinion the interface is not quite well designed by manufacturers). To check this, you can start disabling certain sensor values using right-click and Disable Monitoring. I suspect reading the ASUS EC (and maybe SMART) sensor values might cause this, so I'd start with them. Let me know if that helped.
2. The LG LCD support in HWiNFO is not very sophisticated. For a better experience, you might want to try the LCDHost tool, which now features support of HWiNFO. Check here for more information: http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-LCDHost-plug-in-for-HWiNFO
3. It's always been a bit tricky to report sensor values on many mainboards, because manufacturers (like ASUS here) don't give out information about their sensors and where they are really connected to. It's possible that some of them (the EC temperatures) are not valid at all. Best would be to compare them with the ASUS monitoring tool and if they don't match, then ignore them. Also, the fact that the EC temperatures seem to be constant across various conditions might mean, that they are invalid.

Ty for the quick reply ;)

I just installed my MB software and now i get proper reading from the MB sensors (ASUS EC) using HWiNFO. CPU Temp is the same as the temp reported by the cpu and the MB temp is a little bit higer and vary slightly depending on load. The MB software probably installed some drivers dunno but nyway i get the right numbers now. The g15 LCD support is just fine ;) i was just wondering why it is limited to 3 lines. But it's not really important 4 screens is more than enough to display all the infos. I disabled the monitoring of the sensors i don't need and effectively the load is lower now around 4-5% of CPU usage.

TY very much for the answers and quick reply. It's greatly appreciated.

Indeed, the ASUS monitoring software seems to trigger the monitoring of some EC values which seem to be stuck without that tool. We have asked ASUS how to do this trigger, unfortunately they didn't provide any information :(
Also please beware when running both tools (ASUS and HWiNFO) concurrently, there have been collisions reported when both tools try to access the EC sensor. Unfortunately there's no synchronization mechanism available and ASUS didn't want to do it.

I don't remember why I have implemented only 3 lines for the G15, I probably thought it's enough and you can't reasonably fit more there :)

Martin said:
Indeed, the ASUS monitoring software seems to trigger the monitoring of some EC values which seem to be stuck without that tool. We have asked ASUS how to do this trigger, unfortunately they didn't provide any information :(
Also please beware when running both tools (ASUS and HWiNFO) concurrently, there have been collisions reported when both tools try to access the EC sensor. Unfortunately there's no synchronization mechanism available and ASUS didn't want to do it.

I don't remember why I have implemented only 3 lines for the G15, I probably thought it's enough and you can't reasonably fit more there :)

Hello, I'm new here. Wanted to say I love HWinfo. I just upgraded my video card and rivatuner doesn't support it so I had to switch to afterburner. I loved how rivatuner gave me all the important info on my G15 LCD. For future consideration, would it be possible to increase the line total to 5 for LCD display. 3 column is good but more lines would be great. Thank you.

Ok, I'll put this into the queue ;)

jasonspeed said:
Hello, I'm new here. Wanted to say I love HWinfo. I just upgraded my video card and rivatuner doesn't support it so I had to switch to afterburner. I loved how rivatuner gave me all the important info on my G15 LCD. For future consideration, would it be possible to increase the line total to 5 for LCD display. 3 column is good but more lines would be great. Thank you.

The next build will support up-to 5 lines on the LG G15 LCD.

Martin said:

jasonspeed said:

Martin said:
The next build will support up-to 5 lines on the LG G15 LCD.

Martin said:

jasonspeed said:

That's awesome. Thanks alot. It's nice to see someone listen to a user's feedback.

Back