Hwinfo64 settings stored location

unityole

so due to some driver and bsod issues I had to reinstall windows and wanted to move my old hwinfo64 settings to the new window.

I went to user/appdata/local/microsoft/window sidebar/gadgets/ and copied everything, i also moved settings.ini under window sidebar folder but when i paste the same files onto new windows, the settings were revert to default..

are there other settings in different location im not aware of? just curious.

That depends which settings you mean. Those you have copied seem to be for the gadget only.
You sensor preferences are stored in the Registry under the following keys:
For HWiNFO32: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO32
For HWiNFO64: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64
If you want to transfer them, just export the contents of these keys using "regedit" tool to .reg files and then launch those files on the target machine. Note, that these settings are specific to a particular machine and sensors present there.
There are also safety and other settings in HWiNFO (those set in the Configure screen), which are stored in the HWiNFO folder in HWiNFO32.INI or HWiNFO64.INI files respectively.

Martin said:
That depends which settings you mean. Those you have copied seem to be for the gadget only.
You sensor preferences are stored in the Registry under the following keys:
For HWiNFO32: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO32
For HWiNFO64: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HWiNFO64
If you want to transfer them, just export the contents of these keys using "regedit" tool to .reg files and then launch those files on the target machine. Note, that these settings are specific to a particular machine and sensors present there.
There are also safety and other settings in HWiNFO (those set in the Configure screen), which are stored in the HWiNFO folder in HWiNFO32.INI or HWiNFO64.INI files respectively.

yes, basically I wanna move my old settings (looks of hwinfo64 sidebar, i have two profiles) to a new computer (same computer, new installed OS with no BSOD issues)
alright thanks a lot, thought maybe im missing registry looks like i was on the right track however i didn't think settings ini file in hwinfo64 folder would matter but i'll import that as well.

so this should work if it's on the same computer and pratically the same hardware. GPU, CPU didn't change, only thing changed was I add a new HDD in the optical bay which runs on IDE so it isn't picked up by hwinfo anyway.

Yes, moving the registry settings, which are mostly related to your sensor configuration (like sensor names, colors, disabled items, etc - so everything you setup in the sensors or sensors/configure screens) when moved to a machine with same configuration should restore your configuration. Those settings also keep window positions, sizes and graph configuration (if any).
In case the new system differs, you'll have to manually setup the items which were not present on previous system.
That's because the registry settings are bound to particular sensor type and instance in system and that's the reason why they are kept in the registry - they are not meant to be widely portable because of the difference between various systems.

Martin said:
Yes, moving the registry settings, which are mostly related to your sensor configuration (like sensor names, colors, disabled items, etc - so everything you setup in the sensors or sensors/configure screens) when moved to a machine with same configuration should restore your configuration. Those settings also keep window positions, sizes and graph configuration (if any).
In case the new system differs, you'll have to manually setup the items which were not present on previous system.
That's because the registry settings are bound to particular sensor type and instance in system and that's the reason why they are kept in the registry - they are not meant to be widely portable because of the difference between various systems.

alright, I tried export and import the entire registry but it didnt work out. all of the settings were lost I have no idea why. the way your method goes, it looks like I only need to change the registry and it should all work. any special steps I need to take? like uninstall everything including hwinfo64 and hwinfomonitor/gadget etc.

anyway, all i did was disabled sidebar gadgets, replace new gadget files with old ones, then import the registry and run sidebar again but it just goes back to all default.

Which particular settings have not been restored, those for HWiNFO, or for the gadget?

unityole said:
alright, I tried export and import the entire registry but it didnt work out. all of the settings were lost I have no idea why. the way your method goes, it looks like I only need to change the registry and it should all work. any special steps I need to take? like uninstall everything including hwinfo64 and hwinfomonitor/gadget etc.

anyway, all i did was disabled sidebar gadgets, replace new gadget files with old ones, then import the registry and run sidebar again but it just goes back to all default.

The HWiNFOMonitor gadget stores its settings in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HWiNFOMonitor". So you just need to restore that 1 folder. It is independent of HWiNFO settings, including its native gadget. Please read the instructions in the HWiNFOMonitor gadget settings dialog.

stangowner said:
The HWiNFOMonitor gadget stores its settings in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HWiNFOMonitor". So you just need to restore that 1 folder. It is independent of HWiNFO settings, including its native gadget. Please read the instructions in the HWiNFOMonitor gadget settings dialog.

i have replaced that folder as well, but it isn't changed.. and if it did change, I had two profile, does it include both?

unityole said:
stangowner said:

i have replaced that folder as well, but it isn't changed.. and if it did change, I had two profile, does it include both?

Make sure the gadget is closed, restore the folder, and open the gadget. Yes, it will save all 10 profiles. You just need to open the gadget, go to the settings, select the appropriate number and load it.

These may be helpful:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=292598&page=3#64
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=292598&page=7#165

stangowner said:
Make sure the gadget is closed, restore the folder, and open the gadget. Yes, it will save all 10 profiles. You just need to open the gadget, go to the settings, select the appropriate number and load it.

just want to confirm cause window sidebar thing is complicating, to me at least. i close it by right clicking on the gadget currently open, and close gadget? or do i close entire sidebar.exe in task manager?

restore folder so i delete old one, copy the new one in it's place

open gadget and loading profile. open gadget is run sidebar, reinstall the gadget? or without uninstalling in the previous step when closing it, open the sidebar and click on add gadget (add hwinfo monitor)? profile was never saved, cause hwinfo monitor never had a "save" button in it's options, only has a load button. so if its auto saved and just loading it will work?

so i closed gadget, replace folder and load up gadgets again.. I was able to get profile 1 working but profile 0 just won't load..

Back