IMPORTANT HWiNFO64A_178.SYS driver is being banned under Win11 [10.0.22621.1702] by Hardware-enforced Stack protection

just4t

After today windows 11 update to 10.0.22621.1702 the HWiNFO64A_178.SYS driver is being banned as "it is incompatible with a Windows security mitigation called Hardware-enforfed Stack protection".

Image 001.png

► Running Hwinfo64 Pro 7.44-5100 → HWiNFO error popup window:

Image 002.png

► No way to enable Hardware-enforfed Stack protection again unless the mentioned driver would be upgraded/made compatible:

Image 003.png

Waiting your feedback,
Thanks in advance,
best.
just4t

Hello!

Just wanted to confirm, I am seeing the same thing with Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (Build 22621.1702) and HWiNFO 7.44 after manually updating Windows which installed KB5026372.

Thank you for looking into this!

Kind regards,
Seto

Please, provide the installer version of this beta build. Needing to upgrade to it to really test it … Thanks in advance!
If you try opening the installed HWinfo, you will get that error. Since that beta test version does not populate that error message when opening, it should be good to go for the final push.

Is this driver bundled with some other software? I didn't have HW info installed on my computer, but Windows 11 still complains about this driver. And installing the latest HW Info doesn't make the problem go away:

ASn5EJY.png

Is this driver bundled with some other software? I didn't have HW info installed on my computer, but Windows 11 still complains about this driver. And installing the latest HW Info doesn't make the problem go away:

ASn5EJY.png

Yes, it might be used with some other software. What do you have installed?

Yes, it might be used with some other software. What do you have installed?
Thanks for the quick reply, it would probably be easier to list what I do not have installed though. Anyway, I'll try to make a list of software I suspect that could even remotely be responsible:

3DMark
ASUS AI Suite 3
ASUS AniMe Matrix MB EN
AOMEI Partition Assistant
GigaByte AORUS Engine
ASUS Armoury Crate
ASUS Armoury Crate Lite Service
ASUS Framework Service
ASUS Motherboard
AsusFCNotification
ASUS Aura Creator
ASUS Aura lighting effect add-on
ASUS Aura lighting effect add-on x64
ASUS AURA Service
Corsair iCUE 4 Software
CPUID ROG CPU-Z
CrystalDiskInfo Shizuku Edition
Futuremark Systeminfo
ASUS GameSDK Service
Geeks3D FurMark
ASUS GPU Tweak III Install
HWiNFO64 Version 7.46 - installed yesterday while trying to fix the problem. even using the remove driver option didn't help, it's saying it's not installed but the problem persists
Logitech G HUB
MyASUS
Network Monitor Pro
Nmap Npcap
OBS Studio
PowerPlanSwitcher
CoderBag Quick CPU x64
ASUS ROG FAN XPERT 4
ASUS ROG Live Service
ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE
smartmontools
Datronixsoft spacedesk Windows Driver
Steam
TeamViewer
TechPowerUp GPU-Z
Thermaltake Tool
Palit Thunder Master
Thermaltake TT RGB PLUS
Tomasz Mon USB Pcap
ASUS VGA
Wireshark

It's most likely the Thermaltake software. Try to upgrade it to the latest version.

After reading some more posts from people with similar problems I updated then I even removed all the Thermaltake software. The problem remained. I then updated iCUE. No joy. I also removed the recently installed HWiNFO. The problem persists. Then I started searching for that file, I found it only in the AppData/local/Temp directory. It had a recent timestamp. I deleted it. I think that solved the problem, now Windows allows me to enable that protection.

I also searched for any files with HWiNFO in the name on my system drive.

Only two files remain:
"c:\Program Files\ASUS\ARMOURY CRATE Lite Service\HWComponentPlugin\HWInfo.ini" (might be unrelated)
"c:\Program Files\Tt\Tool\HWiNFO64.dll" (it seems ThermalTake are not aware that "uninstall" doesn't mean what they think it means, I'll probably delete that directory manually since the "uninstall" failed to do that).

Back