I have two 8GB DDR4-2400 installed but HWInfo shows only 655 MHz as memory clock [solved]

HWnovice

Hi community,

First of all I thank the authors of HWInfo for such an incredible tool, giving more Info than I could even understand.

I´ve been reading this forum for a while but I decided to open an account and ask something I dont find the answer to. I have two 8GB DDR4-2400 modules installed in Dual-Mode on an Intel NUC8i3BEH. In both Task manager and in the BIOS I can see the memory clock of 2400 MHz but HWInfo64 gives me only 665MHz as Memory clock. When I use CPU-Z I get the same value for the DRAM frequency. Shouldnt they show a 1200 MHz since these modules have DDR technology?

I am quite a newbie into computer science so any help is more than welcome. The RAM modules are under guarantee so I could try to replace them if they are actually malfunctioning.

Joan

memoryclockAPR20.png

CPUz-RAMclock-Apr20.jpg

This is probably a power saving feature, clocking down not only the CPU cores but also the memory (and/or memory controller). Try putting some load on the CPU, e.g. with Prime95, and keep monitoring the memory clock. I'm pretty sure it will increase its clocks; see also the maximum value of the Memory Clock Ratio which is 12.

Regards
Dalai

Thank you Dalai for your fast reply!

So I've started GTA V, which is a pretty heavy game, and have also monitor the memory clock using HWInfo64. The values stayed at 655 MHz but the Memory Clock Ratio was mostly at 12. It was quite a strange so I open CPU-Z and open Chrome to write you guys. My surprise is that, for a couple of seconds, the DRAM frequency in this software shows a value of 1197MHz (which is what one would expect) coming back quickly to 655 MHz. The value stays mostly at 655 MHz but when I change to another tab in Chrome and look quickly at CPU-Z I see the 1200MHz value again. I tried the same with HWInfo but the memory clock doesnt change, only the Clock Ratio, which is quite disappointing. I use for both softwares the portable version. I closed and opened several times HWInfo64 in order to see if any change has ocurred but nothing appears to change regarding memory clock.

About power saving: my PC has both in Windows and BIOS the high performance mode and as far as I know there is no setting I configurated to limit the RAM or the Processor. However it is true the processor goes down while playing GTA V from 3600 MHz (Turbo speed) to 3000 MHz (base speed). I guess it does that to modulate voltage and temperatures in a stable way.

Are my Memory modules running fine? Is this normal? Maybe someone comes up with an explanation for this behaviour of HWInfo (I've been relying on this software for a couple of years and recommending it). I would also like to know if there is anywhere in windows 10 I can look for limiting the RAM, Processor or something like that (besides Power plan energy).

PS: I also ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to make a stress test and the PC passed every test. Here I add the only information regarding the memory obtained from the log:

Start Time: Mon Apr 27 13:29:26 2020
Test Result - PASS
--- Reading Memory Size ---
Detected Memory Size is --> 16.00GB
--- Subtest - Memory Size Test Passed!!! ---
--- Integrated Memory Controller Stress Test ---
Memory to be allocated = 1048576 byte
Memory Allocated.
Test 1 Ones and Zeros Moving Inversions write operations - Passed
Test 1 Ones and Zeros Moving Inversions verification operations - Passed
Test 2 32Bits Sliding Ones write operations - Passed
Test 2 32Bits Sliding Ones verification operations - Passed
Test 3 32Bits Sliding Zero write operations - Passed
Test 3 32Bits Sliding Zero verification operations - Passed
Memory Deallocated.
--- Subtest - Memory Stress Test Passed!!! ---
Integrated Memory Controller Test Passed!!!
End Time: Mon Apr 27 13:29:26 2020
Total Time: seconds: 0

Thank you guys for your support.
Joan

Attachments

• RAM_1200MHz-CPUZ.png
    RAM_1200MHz-CPUZ.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks a lot Martin!!

I could have spare myself a couple of headaches if I had figured that out. I followed your advice and downloaded the portable v6.24-4120. I can see now as a maximum a value around 1200 MHz and, as I could see in CPU-Z, I see from time to time that value as the current one. Thank you man, your work is awesome.

What about the limits of windows or BIOS for that value? Could I get that 1200Mhz the whole time without overclocking? Or would it be nonsense since the memory clock changes depending on the load of the system and modulates the value for what is necessary?

It is curious though that it changes only between 650 MHz and 1200 Mhz and nothing inbetween.

PS: I will keep on recommending this software. I will have to tell my friends to download the last version too.

The clock reduction you observe happens for a good reason - to reduce power consumption (and temperature) when there's no need for a higher clock.

Back