I rolled back to 6.42, thank you!

That doesn't help me to understand what you want to achieve... How many systems do you own and for what purpose?
Same question(s) for @MicCheckOneTwo
Ho, I have 3 computers, 2 servers and a desktop. The 2 servers are acting as NAS and personal lab for personal training, those are the two that uses the Prometheus Adapter to export the hwinfo data to a format that can be read by grafana to graf and alerts if temperature of drive / CPU rise too high for example.

So while Aqua Computer enjoyed the benefit of a making use of software available totally free, they didn't even bother to at least provide a few lines of information.
the information so we could show monitoring data for their devices

Just a question: isn't it an option to check that there is a running Aquacomputer device in the system?

What is you HWiNFO usage scenario that requires more than 12hours of shared memory support to be enabled?
The usage is having the computer on for 12 hours. Quite the easy thing to do in these Covid-19 times. Up the shared memory support to 17 hours and I don't see me hitting the limit.

BTW, even this forum is based on a subscription fee.
Yes, I could use free alternatives and I also did.. I started with phpBB (free), but wasn't satisfied. So I switched to MyBB (also free), which was great several years ago. But then they struggled with updates and the next big (mobile-friendly) update was delayed and delayed.. I didn't blame anyone, it was free and they did what they could. So I ended up with XF (paid), which is great and massively updated. I have no problem to pay a subscription fee for products that are well maintained.

Ho, I have 3 computers, 2 servers and a desktop. The 2 servers are acting as NAS and personal lab for personal training, those are the two that uses the Prometheus Adapter to export the hwinfo data to a format that can be read by grafana to graf and alerts if temperature of drive / CPU rise too high for example.
The usage is having the computer on for 12 hours. Quite the easy thing to do in these Covid-19 times. Up the shared memory support to 17 hours and I don't see me hitting the limit.
My point is that a simple home user can be satisfied with the free version in spite of the limitations. If someone is at home, then can re-enable SHM after the 12h. Now days you can access your home system even remotely. So I dont understand the complaints about it.

My point is that a simple home user can be satisfied with the free version in spite of the limitations. If someone is at home, then can re-enable SHM after the 12h. Now days you can access your home system even remotely. So I dont understand the complaints about it.
My point is that it's not satisfying to have software essentially break from a usability standpoint. Normal, non-pro users don't know what Shared Memory support is and will not know why this free plugin will suddenly stop working at some point - and why should they, this simple use case is not within what most people will consider pro usage. There's no information provided in any way a novice user will understand as to why it stops working. Having a resettable usability time bomb targeted at simple home users using the software within what arguably should require a non-Pro license just seems like asking for trouble down the road.
BTW, even this forum is based on a subscription fee.
Yes, I could use free alternatives and I also did.. I started with phpBB (free), but wasn't satisfied. So I switched to MyBB (also free), which was great several years ago. But then they struggled with updates and the next big (mobile-friendly) update was delayed and delayed.. I didn't blame anyone, it was free and they did what they could. So I ended up with XF (paid), which is great and massively updated. I have no problem to pay a subscription fee for products that are well maintained.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be a PRO version that costs money. I'm saying the use case of users using a free open source stream deck plugin just fetching and displaying basic CPU/GPU/motherboard usage/temperatures on what is essentially a tiny extra screen don't seem like the intended demographic for the Pro version. I think it's fine you want to get paid for commercial use and more hardcore pro tools that are not simply displaying values on a screen.

In any case, I've humbly made my suggestion to make HWiNFO work better with the free HWinfo StreamDeck plugin + explained why I think it deserves to not be included in the 12-hour limit and that's all I can do. Thanks for your time.

The non-pro users who are able to set plugins and monitors to display data I’m sure they know how to search the net and use a forum like this at least, if not already know about SHM.

In any case, I've humbly made my suggestion to make HWiNFO work better with the free HWinfo StreamDeck plugin + explained why I think it deserves to not be included in the 12-hour limit and that's all I can do. Thanks for your time.
I agree with you but the main issue with the shared memory, if I get it right, it's that it's there for anyonoe to use there is no way to make a whitelist or select who can access it... unfurtunatly

I agree with you but the main issue with the shared memory, if I get it right, it's that it's there for anyonoe to use there is no way to make a whitelist or select who can access it... unfurtunatly

That's right - HWiNFO has no visibility nor control about who is consuming the shared memory data, so it's not possible to apply a filter. It's wasn't a good design choice, but when I came up with this, I though I will be able to keep it free for everyone and I allowed using this interface only by applications that are free as well. Unfortunately, later I figured out that it was also used by those that deployed it for commercial benefit. There were people coming to me which I didn't allow access to this interface, but they reverse-engineered it and even asked me for more advice... Leaving this free and unlimited would result in misuse by commercial players that don't care about licensing. I know that some personal users are not happy about this, but it's only a minor portion among all HWiNFO users. It's still free for personal use (freemium) and I didn't choose the shareware option, which would be a very different licensing.

And i can't think about any kind of protection that would'nt be reverse engineered also :/

Of course, but there's a big difference between how many are able to reverse-engineer a structure layout in memory (which is more-less obvious) and assembly code.

For sure. But even if you create a V2 of shared memory with encrypted dataset they could recover the key from the binary so it won't really be a final solution

FYI - It was never my intention to charge for such feature, it's a side-effect of a wider restriction imposed on commercial use (described in several other posts here).
I'm currently working with the Rainmeter team on how to continue providing this feature without limit and for free.
The same thing goes for the "HWInfo Monitor" sidebar gadget, yes I still like my sidebars! :)

It too stops working every 12 hours as it depends on Shared Memory access.

I hear you when you claim that restricting the free version this way was only done to limit commercial benefit from this feature. But going by that logic you should not be offering a "Personal" license at all, because that too could be used for commercial purposes without having to buy the more expensive commercial license. So I don't really buy that explanation. But in any case, you are of course free to charge whatever you want for your own work, just be up-front about it. :)

There's no perfect solution to satisfy everyone. No matter what would I do, there will always be someone disappointed.

MSI Afterburner OSD support is gimped too. I imported various CPU readings into it for the OSD and those readings now disappear after 12 hours.

Before:
Screenshot 2021-03-26 162314.jpg

I can get the readings back through the HWInfo menu, which unfortunately has no interaction at all with the existing rows and columns of the OSD as far as I can tell, so Afterburner's extensive visual customization options can't handle HWinfo data. It just sticks the data under everything else.

After:
Screenshot 2021-03-26 162146.jpg

Any way to fix this? Feels bad to have features removed without mention in patch notes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-26 160704.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-26 160704.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2021-03-26 161759.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-26 161759.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@Martin, please... Because I'm too lazy to enable SHM every 12 hours on my home PC while I'm there and playing games, watching videos or surfing the net with my feet on my neck, can you please re enable the shared memory access on the nonPro version? So I dont have to put my feet down, or stop playing the game or re-enable/restart anything and do it my self? Isnt that worth it, for you to lose a few thousands $$ per year...?
Please please... do me this favor and let your life's work without any return for you... eeh what do you say? Is this a good deal or what?

I just built a new rig and decided to avoid the latest Corsair fiascos and went with Aquacomputer for fan and RGB control this time around. So far I am really like the Aquasuite platform, and I was delighted to see how well it interfaces with HWINFO - a great utility that I have enjoyed using for years. So right when Shared Memory Support (SMS) became something I needed, Matin decided to limit it. I am not thrilled that he has done this but I do understand his motivation. HWINFO has become the Go To program for Ryzen processor monitoring and Martin has poured a huge amount of time and effort into figuring out how to report meaningful data from these processors. If commercial operations are using HWINFO to profit, and intentionally skirting the rules and not paying for Pro licenses, I think he has every right to try to do something about it. He has said that personal users using SMS are not his target, and there is already a work around for Rain Meter. As for Aquasuite, I hope Martin finds a way to allow continuous SMS while also protecting his interests. The guy deserves to earn a living, and bitching about having to maybe pay for a specific feature of a great free program seems a bit unfair to me. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back