I think cpu usage is broken again

I hope you not mind @Martin , but now it's also possible that both ways (MS and "alternate method") in HWiNFO are not correct.
Some have luck in one way, but not in both sadly. While the other tools always display correct!

It's well known, but most probably he never used any extras of the OS (for example VMs etc). And then Task Manager works most often. Tho as I said above already, per Planet Earth math it's IMPOSSIBLE having less CPU Usage while all cores have already more!!
Anyway... And I sent you already some time ago via email. In 7.42 for example I had only always this (without any loads):

View attachment 9244

And that's standard often in Task Manager when users use a bit deeper the OS, while all others still display totally correct.

Please provide a side-by-side screenshot of HWiNFO v7.44 and 7.42 and System Informer as @Vimes did above.

Ok..... Running Cyberpunk 2077 (not pauses, tho as full screen) and of course tools can never be totally sync:

v7.42
7.42.jpg

v7.44
7.44.jpg

(You can ignore the minimum 0% of Core Effective and such, because 7.42 was started portable and 7.44 already running days.)

Basically I think such should be also independent of the based OS.

BUT:
- we know that W11 is still very buggy, sometimes already called as Vista v2
- W11 also forces even more low-clocking and more like laptop CPU as standard
- W11 is also because of that slightly slower
- tho we also know W10 Task Manager was for sure the worst, on W11 looks already better

@Vimes Don't worry, I would like to upgrade when become more stable and also a bit more open again (less forcing). But at moment there are good reasons while most users still prefer W10.

Btw my Startmenu I still use it like W7. :cool:

Last edited:
OK, so it looks like:
- For Win10 v7.44 worked which is using the fully legacy method
- For Win11 v7.42 worked which had a patch for IdleTime
That might make sense and would be easy to fix.. But the problem I see is that SI seems to be using only the legacy method. Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Not only SI does it, but mostly all well-known tools as well. The reason is to be as much as possible independent of the OS, because otherwise can create this problem like the MS Task Manager does. And I think your great HWiNFO as well should be independent, too.

And always 100% CPU usage displayed while running nothing is for sure wrong!

Tested again on Cyberpunk 2077 and looks fine for me!

Clipboard01.jpg

BUT... Does not mean that it would work correctly on W11 for me. :cool:

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Windows 11 is still broken when it comes to the legacy time-based CPU metrics. If the IdleTime workaround is not applied when using Windows 11, the legacy method will always report unrealistic low values, therefore being unreliable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Windows 11 is still broken when it comes to the legacy time-based CPU metrics. If the IdleTime workaround is not applied when using Windows 11, the legacy method will always report unrealistic low values, therefore being unreliable.

You tried already the 7.45 Beta to test?

And PLEASE screenshots like we did here, best with System Informer!

Last edited:
Back